Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Pet Welfare, Rescue & Adoption > General Discussion

General Discussion General information and discuss on animal rescue, adoption and advocacy

Old 06-19-2012, 01:14 PM
Animal Lover

noraashekyn is on a distinguished road
Default should we consider cat age before adopting?

is it true that the younger the cat, the easier to train?
on what age is cat considered old and cannot be train?
Old 06-19-2012, 03:02 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: should we consider cat age before adopting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noraashekyn View Post
is it true that the younger the cat, the easier to train?
on what age is cat considered old and cannot be train?
Hi, Nora -- when you mention training, what kind of training are you talking about? Using a litter box? Cats do that instinctively as very small kittens.

I personally like to adopt adult cats, because 'what you see is what you get'. In other words, when you adopt a kitten, you will wonder what its temperament and appearance will be like when it grows up. When you meet an adult cat, you can see if its personality fits you. :-)
Old 06-19-2012, 03:41 PM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
Hi, Nora -- when you mention training, what kind of training are you talking about? Using a litter box? Cats do that instinctively as very small kittens.

I personally like to adopt adult cats, because 'what you see is what you get'. In other words, when you adopt a kitten, you will wonder what its temperament and appearance will be like when it grows up. When you meet an adult cat, you can see if its personality fits you. :-)
yes..I am talking about litter box.. instinctively? I have seen adult cat that do their "business" anywhere they like. my friend said, that habit is hard to change.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:42 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Quote:
yes..I am talking about litter box.. instinctively? I have seen adult cat that do their "business" anywhere they like. my friend said, that habit is hard to change.
Yes, instinctively. A cat always wants to bury its waste to protect itself from predators who might smell it. I've fostered feral cats who see a litter box for the first time as adults and automatically use it.

Your friend is right that some adult cats may choose not to use a litter box, but this is often due to a health problem, or some reason that the cat doesn't like the litter box -- some cats are very particular about the type of litter. Sometimes the litter box is not clean, or too many other cats may be sharing one box. If the cat has a urinary tract infection, he or she may urinate small amounts in other places. There have been some other good discussions on the forum about why cats may stop using the litter box.

Then there is spraying, which is not urination, but a territory-marking behaviour, and as long as you spay and neuter your cats, you are unlikely to see spraying. (I've heard that some neutered toms will continue to spray if they're in a multi-cat household and they want to establish dominance, but I don't think this is very common.)

If you are keeping only a small number of spay/neutered cats, and you keep clean litterboxes available for them, the cats will use them -- no training required!
Old 06-19-2012, 06:44 PM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
Yes, instinctively. A cat always wants to bury its waste to protect itself from predators who might smell it. I've fostered feral cats who see a litter box for the first time as adults and automatically use it.

Your friend is right that some adult cats may choose not to use a litter box, but this is often due to a health problem, or some reason that the cat doesn't like the litter box -- some cats are very particular about the type of litter. Sometimes the litter box is not clean, or too many other cats may be sharing one box. If the cat has a urinary tract infection, he or she may urinate small amounts in other places. There have been some other good discussions on the forum about why cats may stop using the litter box.

Then there is spraying, which is not urination, but a territory-marking behaviour, and as long as you spay and neuter your cats, you are unlikely to see spraying. (I've heard that some neutered toms will continue to spray if they're in a multi-cat household and they want to establish dominance, but I don't think this is very common.)

If you are keeping only a small number of spay/neutered cats, and you keep clean litterboxes available for them, the cats will use them -- no training required!
thank a lot ! I read some about this. but now, I really understand. young or adult cat not really troublesome if we take a good care of them. now I realize that each of them have their own character, we just need to take some time to get to know each other.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:50 PM
Animal Lover

one more question.. does all adult cat does not like playing or just because of health problem?
Old 07-05-2012, 01:18 PM
PetFinder Guru

jouhari is on a distinguished road

Quote:
No I don't think age matters. But...

I like kittens because dsh kittens are a joy to watch at play.

but..
kittens are more accident prone.
adults may fight with other cats you have.

two adult males means they might try to out mark each other :)

When I get a cat in the place I first would introduce it to the f&b station and potty station (unless i fear it may fight). Put it in the litterbox and the seem to remember where it is when they need to do their business.