Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens

Cats & Kittens General information and discussions on taking care of your feline buddy

Old 07-23-2011, 12:30 PM
Gentle Giant

Coony is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Custom Made Animal Cage

You are so dead wrong.

Dog need the horizontal space to run & to burn their energy since they can't jump up to height, where else cat had no problem with height. We are now living in a crowded world of limited horizontal space & cat had become the most popular pet in the world, the number pet in US. One can easily own a few cats in an apartment & the cats still have enough space to work out with the vertical space provided. You can put up tall cat tree or install few shelves on the wall & you can bet your last dollar they love the top position (you don't need to be a cat genius to know this).

Quote:
Originally Posted by origin View Post
Nice enclosures but i feel it's a waste of space vertically as the cats only use the floors and area up to about 2,3 feet... i think its better if the enclosure designed like a 2 storey floors like this cage http://www.mudah.my/Cat+Cage+Z296+3+...t-10695667.htm but design & build much bigger as an enclosure.

Best Maine Coon Cattery in CFA ID Asia/LA since 2004
The only Maine Coon cattery with 3 DM, 3 Top Ten MCO National & produce the most GC/GP (30) & DW (12) in CFA ID Asia/LA
Old 07-23-2011, 12:52 PM
Gentle Giant

This is a 4'X4'X6' height cage, you can see how cramp the floor is with the cat necessities & how much the cat enjoy the canopy on the higher ground. This is how you use the vertical space.

The only Maine Coon cattery with 3 DM, 3 Top Ten MCO National & produce the most GC/GP (30) & DW (12) in CFA ID Asia/LA
Old 07-26-2011, 05:03 PM
PetFinder Guru

Marcelleve is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Marcelleve Send a message via Yahoo to Marcelleve Send a message via Skype™ to Marcelleve

I agree with Coony....because cats love to climb and they love high places than on the ground...they don't run that much because they prefer to play on higher grounds... they are the only pets in the world who needed a cat tree , a scratch post even in US they called a cat's tree, a Cat gym or cat's tower which is created to have a cat stepper to explorer higher and has a canopy for hideout or sleep all in one but it is created vertically or can be extended to cat's liking but mostly on higher ground.... there is no dog tree to scratch or climb, isn't it?
Cat's natural temperament is to extend their body. They love to stretch, climb and pounce. It can be seen on how their physical body works... paws and hinds can be stretched longer than dogs...their bones are flexible and have sharper claws.

*Refer to this pic by IKEA US and Cat lover's blog pics then u can use Coony's suggestion while u have these on your wall:

Click image for larger version

Name:	cat's walk.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	11085Click image for larger version

Name:	cat walker.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	11086Click image for larger version

Name:	cat gym.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	4.1 KB
ID:	11087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coony View Post
You are so dead wrong.

Dog need the horizontal space to run & to burn their energy since they can't jump up to height, where else cat had no problem with height. We are now living in a crowded world of limited horizontal space & cat had become the most popular pet in the world, the number pet in US. One can easily own a few cats in an apartment & the cats still have enough space to work out with the vertical space provided. You can put up tall cat tree or install few shelves on the wall & you can bet your last dollar they love the top position (you don't need to be a cat genius to know this).

Last edited by Marcelleve; 07-26-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:06 PM
PetFinder Buddy

origin is on a distinguished road

-----

Last edited by origin; 07-26-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:30 PM
PetFinder Buddy

origin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You are so dead wrong.

You got me wrong...dead wrong..
All you mentioned about cats enjoys height (everybody knows that, right...) is what i meant when i said those enclosures pictured are wasting space vertically! Especially as shown on the 1st and 3rd picture as there's no way the cats can use the vertical space. Putting in 6"x6" hammock or cat tree doesn't really compensate the waste of space for 16 sq. feet of floor space.
Maybe my first explanation wasn't so clear (not everyone's a genius anyway..) but what i want to say is that it's better to have another 1 or 2 level of floor in the enclosure just like a 'double storey house have twice the floor area of a single storey house'.

These are example of cages that's using full use of it's vertical space :

Just think if this concept can be use to built enclosure instead, then put in some cat tree and hammock.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:00 PM
PetFinder Guru

Send a message via AIM to Marcelleve Send a message via Yahoo to Marcelleve Send a message via Skype™ to Marcelleve

I love these idea for enclosure. I can use the wall for steppers. But for house quarantine only when no one's home for the day or one of the cat is sick or for my stray cats.

Thanks, Coony. I appreciate your suggestion. Heck, for Rm 150 I can get only 2 double layer cage which I can get for more mesh and wires to be used on this project and whatever/ wherever I wanted it to be done. It can be extended as well.

I love DIY because u have the freedom to calculate the price, measurement and what it looks like.

If you are busy person and don't like custom made then you are most welcome to buy at the nearest pet store.

Subject is already a topic for discussion to other suggestions other than what the pet shops have to offer.

Quote:
If you wish to custom make a cage I wud recommend that you make an enclosure which is much more comfortable to your cat as they will be standing on solid ground then wire mesh.

This is an example of an enclosure make with Aluminium & Nylon mesh.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:46 PM
Animal Lover

Luna10 is on a distinguished road

guys,

in the end of the day we just want our kitties to be safe and love. for me it's up to your wallet la.. if you can afford better quality and specious cage or DIY cage is up to you. no need to compare to one and other.

what we should put in first place is the comfort we can give to the kitties. no worries ya...

coony,
how much it will cost if i want cage size 900mmx600mm. enclosure make with Aluminium & Nylon mesh.

thank you.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:39 PM
PetFinder Guru

Nana is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I do it myself. The cost I quote are all DIY, it is only material cost. If you engage someone to do it will cost you at less 3 time the cost, that's a low side estimation, it can be more. If you want let me know what type you want to build, I can recommend the supplier to you.
Coony, thanks for sharing. I like your work. I'm in Sabah, been searching for ideas to make make enclosure for my cats, but DIY like yours seem to be more satisfactory.. do you mind sharing a bit more detailed pictures. I wanna make myself, I'm not much of a handyperson, but I'd definitely give it a try..

So if you could share the close-up picture of the joinings of your enclosure. the part where the mesh is joint to the aluminum. and how to you put each sides together, how about joining it onto the floor and wall?
Old 07-27-2011, 03:20 PM
Gentle Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna10 View Post
guys,

in the end of the day we just want our kitties to be safe and love. for me it's up to your wallet la.. if you can afford better quality and specious cage or DIY cage is up to you. no need to compare to one and other.

what we should put in first place is the comfort we can give to the kitties. no worries ya...

coony,
how much it will cost if i want cage size 900mmx600mm. enclosure make with Aluminium & Nylon mesh.

thank you.
For a size that small I think it better to get a ready make cage. The idea of an enclosure is to provide spacious comfort to your cat instead of restricting them to a small cages

Old 07-27-2011, 03:28 PM
Gentle Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana View Post
Coony, thanks for sharing. I like your work. I'm in Sabah, been searching for ideas to make make enclosure for my cats, but DIY like yours seem to be more satisfactory.. do you mind sharing a bit more detailed pictures. I wanna make myself, I'm not much of a handyperson, but I'd definitely give it a try..

So if you could share the close-up picture of the joinings of your enclosure. the part where the mesh is joint to the aluminum. and how to you put each sides together, how about joining it onto the floor and wall?
Nana, it will be easier for you to use the ready made wire mesh racking compare to the aluminum nylon mesh type. Refer to the earlier posting where the metal racking enclosure photo is. You don't need to screw to the floor, only 2 screw to the wall from each side is require.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:39 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Nana, it will be easier for you to use the ready made wire mesh racking compare to the aluminum nylon mesh type. Refer to the earlier posting where the metal racking enclosure photo is. You don't need to screw to the floor, only 2 screw to the wall from each side is require.
Like the one you put up at the quarantine station? so they actually sell that rack in different sizes?

Did you get yours from a hardware shop? am gonna need to go hunting for that. Any other name for that if I were to ask for it at the shop?
Old 07-27-2011, 04:24 PM
Gentle Giant

Quote:
Like the one you put up at the quarantine station? so they actually sell that rack in different sizes?

Did you get yours from a hardware shop? am gonna need to go hunting for that. Any other name for that if I were to ask for it at the shop?

You can get them from racking shop that sell gondola & accessory wire mesh racking for accessory display

Old 07-30-2011, 09:55 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:

You can get them from racking shop that sell gondola & accessory wire mesh racking for accessory display
Thank you so much! I got mine .. I only needed a few pieces to make an enclosure at a corner in my house...
Old 07-31-2011, 01:00 PM
Gentle Giant

Quote:
Thank you so much! I got mine .. I only needed a few pieces to make an enclosure at a corner in my house...
Very happy for you that you found your stuff. Pls do post photo of your finished job.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:47 AM
Animal Lover

Luna10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
For a size that small I think it better to get a ready make cage. The idea of an enclosure is to provide spacious comfort to your cat instead of restricting them to a small cages
thank you coony.. i tot that option too..
Old 08-08-2011, 10:51 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Very happy for you that you found your stuff. Pls do post photo of your finished job.

we aren't completely done yet but gave the cats a try.. seem like they are already getting comfy and liking it :)

I learnt that they also sell pieces of 'T stands' so I got those, hence this is not a permanent enclosure in a sense that they are not attached to the walls at all. I didn't put up a cover on top to make it look less 'cage-like', and these racking are only 6 feet tall. some cats are light and wise enough to climb up and escape when they get bored... but I'm not worried since this is indoor. the 2 doors behind actually go into mine and my sister's room, so we pass by the cats' room on regular basis .... there's also another door on the right to the toilet, so cleaning becomes easier ...

I'm planning for another one but trying to figure out how and where I want it to be.. it is super easy to do thanks again for sharing coony.. superb idea it is!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	02082011(001).jpg
Views:	4045
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	11102  
Old 08-08-2011, 12:40 PM
PetFinder Guru

thini is on a distinguished road

Quote:

we aren't completely done yet but gave the cats a try.. seem like they are already getting comfy and liking it :)

I learnt that they also sell pieces of 'T stands' so I got those, hence this is not a permanent enclosure in a sense that they are not attached to the walls at all. I didn't put up a cover on top to make it look less 'cage-like', and these racking are only 6 feet tall. some cats are light and wise enough to climb up and escape when they get bored... but I'm not worried since this is indoor. the 2 doors behind actually go into mine and my sister's room, so we pass by the cats' room on regular basis .... there's also another door on the right to the toilet, so cleaning becomes easier ...

I'm planning for another one but trying to figure out how and where I want it to be.. it is super easy to do thanks again for sharing coony.. superb idea it is!
wow Nana.. I am impress.. Where to get those things (what do you call them by the way) - sat lagi gi DIY tak tau nak carik apa... Senang tak nak assembled? Banyak pulak tanya kan..
Old 08-08-2011, 04:10 PM
PetFinder Guru

NICE

Quote:

Old 08-09-2011, 08:57 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thini View Post
wow Nana.. I am impress.. Where to get those things (what do you call them by the way) - sat lagi gi DIY tak tau nak carik apa... Senang tak nak assembled? Banyak pulak tanya kan..
I was impressed too . senang la sgt2.. didn't use any tools at all, tp longgar la skit screw2 tu.. tinggal nak tighten the screws je lg..

dunno la what they call it, ada yg sebut metal rack, ada sebut netting.. it's actually suppose to be a display rack yg org sll guna kat kedai2 to hang up stuff they sell.. you see in my pics pun, I bought some pieces of that hook to hang stuff up, multipurpose jugak kan?

I'm located in Sabah, perhaps coony can recommend you the supplier if you're around Klang Valley..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcelleve View Post
NICE
TQ
Old 08-18-2011, 07:23 PM
Animal Lover

Kittylove is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marayah View Post
i always dream to have a glass room for the cat....that must be pretty expensive or do u have anything in mind to share
Why lock your cat into a class room? I bet cats don't want to be lock in? I certainly don't want myself to be lock into a cage either is big cage,small,glass or metal. I let my cat running around my house(in door only)He been trained so he doesn't scratch the sofa,chair,curtain etc.