Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Pet Welfare, Rescue & Adoption > General Discussion

General Discussion General information and discuss on animal rescue, adoption and advocacy

Old 02-27-2009, 09:55 AM
PetFinder Guru

lynielime is on a distinguished road
Default Mutts/Mongrels/Moggies! They deserve good homes too.

in support of the underappreciated mixed breed animals out there.. love knows no pedigree. certificates should not be a prerequisite for love. all animals are created equal in the eyes of god.

taken from:
http://www.animalshelter.org/pet-tip...pt_A_Mutt.html

Why Should I Adopt A Mutt
Certain dog breeds will always enjoy steady popularity, the Labrador Retriever is one of the most popular. There are also trends and fads in dog breeds which are similar to clothing and music fads. Certain breeds such as Dalmatians, Chihuahuas, and Jack Russells are "in style" for a while, usually due to media exposure (think Chihuahua and Paris Hilton, "101 Dalmatians", and "Frasier"). I want to plead the case, however, for the "mutt" the "Heinz 57 variety", and/or mongrel, that you just can’t help but to love.

I currently own three dogs, and not a single one of them is a pedigree. Loki is a dog that I "inherited" from my cousin and appears to be a German shepherd mix. Gracie may be part lab and may also be part Chow; we're not really sure. And Daisy, Who we saved from the shelter appears to be a Lab mix. I love all three of my dogs equally. They are all in excellent health , and have great dispositions, though the younger ones can still get into trouble from time to time. My dogs are "mutts", and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Purebred dogs can be very expensive, and can be an expensive mistake if the dog breed is not suited for your families needs. Neither the Dalmatian, Chihuahua, or Jack Russells, which have enjoyed temporary popularity, are a good choice for families with young children. Many of these breeds have been adopted and sadly later returned for these very reasons. They were not the right fit for the family. Many purebred dogs can also be more prone to certain genetic health traits such as hip dysplasia, simply because they become "inbred", and can more easily pass those genetic traits on.

Mutts, on the other hand, are mixed breeds, which helps in decreasing their chances of passing on poor genetic health traits. The mutts that I have had, all have had good dispositions, and most were fairly smart. I have yet to see any purebred puppies who were cuter than my mutts are.

Sadly, many mutts, or mongrels, are unwanted. Many of them will be left or abandoned as strays, or taken to animal shelters, where the majority of them will be euthanized. The biggest factor in my adopting mutts is the satisfaction of knowing that I saved a dog from being "put down". I am fortunate enough to enjoy the companionship of my "mutts" and give them the loving home they deserve.

Share this article on Why Should I Adopt A Mutt with friends.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:58 AM
PetFinder Guru

Default Re: Mutts/Mongrels/Moggies! They deserve good homes too.

taken from: https://www.sspca.org/MixedBreeds.html

Why Mixed Breeds Make Great Companion Animals
Before You Adopt >> Why Mixed Breeds Make Great Companion Animals

Each breed is descended from a limited number of dogs. Because breeders have sought to create animals that have certain fixed attributes, purebred dogs today are inbred. Genetically this means that, while all purebreds do not have significant health problems, they are predisposed to a range of hereditary and congenital diseases, including skin and eye conditions, allergies, various cancers, cardiac problems, and abnormalities in the kidneys and other organs.

A 1994 Time magazine article on the effects of over breeding reported that as many as 25 percent of the 20 million purebred dogs in the US are afflicted with a serious genetic problem.

Mixed breeds, on the other hand, have something called hybrid vigor. When you mix two or more separate gene pools, the recessive genes that carry the health problems are buried. As a result, you often get a healthier animal. Simply put, mixed-breed dogs are, in general, healthier than their purebred cousins and typically require fewer visits to the veterinarian.

Mixed breeds are often more temperamentally sound than purebreds. Not all Chows are aggressive, not all Cockers have a nervous tendency to bite and not all Retrievers are gentle, but generalizations about breed temperament often hold true, at least to some extent. Mixed breeds are typically less extreme temperamentally. Character and behavioral traits do manifest in mixed-breed dogs, but in a diluted form.

There is a final, compelling reason to adopt a mutt rather than a purebred. Our shelters are filled with primarily mixed-breed dogs in need of good homes. With the tragedy of pet overpopulation still far from being solved, we encourage everyone to adopt a shelter pet and save a life from being destroyed, simply because there are not enough loving homes.

In the Time magazine article cited above, syndicated animal columnist Mike Capuzzo noted, "Mutts are the Hondas of the dog world. They're cheap, reliable and what nature intended in the first place."

Article courtesy of our friends at Peninsula Humane Society (www.peninsulahumanesociety.org)
Old 03-03-2009, 05:38 PM
PetFinder Guru

nivek is on a distinguished road

Interesting read. So far I've adopted 2 mongrels and 1 Rottweiler from SPCA :)
Old 03-04-2009, 12:34 PM
Animal Lover

Ferreted is an unknown quantity at this point

nivekk.. rottweiler from SPCA, just wondering is by any chance a female 3 yrs old named Mary (i think)? it was there early this year.. maybe u adopted another ages ago though.. that rottie was the sweetest thing there.. (to me) hehhee, cus i like rottie.. i gave her so much wetfood and gone in 1 gulp.. aww.. so so sweet. wonder wad happen to her.

sorry lynie. hijack ur thread a bit. i do agree mutts are lovable, and i love the quote

"Mutts are the Hondas of the dog world. They're cheap, reliable and what nature intended in the first place."

they are probably healthier than most in-breedings of pedigrees here.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:27 PM
PetFinder Guru

i have two adorable loving mutts from spca too they're the coolest pooches in the whole world! to me anyway..
Old 03-04-2009, 02:49 PM
Animal Lover

Ferreted is an unknown quantity at this point

ah my fault i missed this

"A 1994 Time magazine article on the effects of over breeding reported that as many as 25 percent of the 20 million purebred dogs in the US are afflicted with a serious genetic problem.

Mixed breeds, on the other hand, have something called hybrid vigor. When you mix two or more separate gene pools, the recessive genes that carry the health problems are buried. As a result, you often get a healthier animal."

Correct then! So people.. wanna have dogs with lower potential of medical bills.. go mutt...

After all those money you spent..
Old 03-04-2009, 04:00 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road

Yeah, just like our domestic short hair felines who deserves good homes too!
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 03-04-2009, 09:23 PM
PetFinder Guru

nivek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferreted View Post
nivekk.. rottweiler from SPCA, just wondering is by any chance a female 3 yrs old named Mary (i think)? it was there early this year.. maybe u adopted another ages ago though.. that rottie was the sweetest thing there.. (to me) hehhee, cus i like rottie.. i gave her so much wetfood and gone in 1 gulp.. aww.. so so sweet. wonder wad happen to her.
hahaha sorry mine is from Penang SPCA :) He's a 5 year old male.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:06 PM
PetFinder Wowwow

vivi is on a distinguished road

oh lynie,
Nice tittle and good points.
i'm proud to say i own two mixie mixie breed too and one local shaggy(confirm malaysian homemade doggie)own by my sis hahhaha.
It's easier to handle and take care of them compare to the pure one.
But still... pure or not pure, they all are still adorable.