Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > PetFinder Lounge > Tech & Computers > Hardware

Old 08-29-2008, 05:54 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation
Default Re: CPU Not working - help

What??!! i-dola and i-jeanne comes without the hard disk??!! Oh my, I knew there must be a catch somewhere since it's so cheap, but I never imagined it to be without a hard disk! hahaha, this is so absurd........
Old 08-29-2008, 06:07 PM
Vivien Wuz Ere

Location: Earth - where every human beings have to live together with animals
vivienlpl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie007 View Post
hahaha, filin, this is what andy would say cyber-telepathy..... and only james bond kitty or vampires can do that....

But seriously, it beats the shit out of me......I noticed that myself, too....first I log in, then i compose. when i submit, it says i'm not logged on, to log on first. so i log on, thinking my maxis is acting up again (the line drops every now and then). after i log on, i saw hey, my post is already there!!

the whole pc can explode instantly and goreng me? u serious vivien? there're plenty of thunderstorms and lightnings here in kepong, in fact, nearly everyday, and i'm online all the time. my pc and modem is on 24/7 because my home alarm system and cctv is connected to it, so i don't switch it off. i may or may not be on the net, but nothing is ever turned off.

but maybe i'm protected becos i have a lightning arrestor on the the roof? i live in a condo and i'm on the top floor......does that make any difference?
wah your pc on whole day one ar..then possible lightning.....strike
if you are on a lightning protector device - normally it is a device connected to your computer - then maybe it strikes that device - you need to get it replace..if it is not working - it zap straight your pc - your most expensive part of the CPU might get "goreng"
try opening the box - you might smell the burnt smell

but you said lightning arrestor on top of the roof hhmmm it wont help
it wont make a difference - unless your pc is next to it...
Old 08-29-2008, 06:47 PM
Tok Penghulu

Penghulu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What??!! i-dola and i-jeanne comes without the hard disk??!! Oh my, I knew there must be a catch somewhere since it's so cheap, but I never imagined it to be without a hard disk! hahaha, this is so absurd........
Dont know wat eventually they want to sell...after you dismantle the whole thing it end up only the casing was made by them...
and I doubt they are giving the backup services by on their own too..

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivienlpl View Post
if you are on a lightning protector device - normally it is a device connected to your computer - then maybe it strikes that device - you need to get it replace..if it is not working - it zap straight your pc - your most expensive part of the CPU might get "goreng"

My PC also is running on 24/7...but if I m down stairs or at the room mostly i'll be using the lappy...
so I m on the home network of mine..on the internet I'll just use the wireless broadband setup and my printer are also on wireless setup..it doesnt matter is either my desktops or my lappy...
I have 3 desktops at home and 2 lappies...link to one home network...so if the lightning occurs you just shut down the router modem or just unplugged the telephone cable...so if you just happens to owned the arrester then it will help you...
so says you are struck by lightning then it will be only your router modem...
the rest where just working as normal but without internet connections unless after you replace it...

MJ
Old 08-29-2008, 06:54 PM
CEO, EzerNET

Ezer has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie View Post
Yes Ezer, my nephew advised the same thing when my almost 8-year-old monster dinasaur of a desktop fluttered and turned black and white recently. Its time is up. This was what he said, “A freshie will set you back $$$. If you want to keep the old goat, it is going to cost you a lot of trouble getting it fixed”.
EXACTLY! PCs aren't too expensive nowadays... and it'll be 1000s of times more powerful.

Quote:
Will definitely check out i-Jeanne and i-Dollah. They come without hard disks.
i-jeanne and i-dollah?

I say I-PODAH.

Like Penghulu said, just buy a nice clone from lowyat...

Quote:
Even if you have a voltage stabilizer (which acts to protect you from surges), a strong surge may still get thru. That's why when you're not using your pc, unplug it from the socket.

Quote:
Here's the myth... Most ppl think that a lightning strike means striking your house. Althought that can happen, it rarely does. Lightning usually strike the telephone or electrical line miles away from your house, and that causes a huge surge that would arrive at your house in less seconds and fry your equipment.

In the US or some other developed countries, they hide a lot of their cables underground and that's why the don't have this problem.

Last edited by Ezer; 08-29-2008 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:18 AM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation

Quote:

err, vivien, it's not really possible to turn off my pc. my home security system is wired into the modem which is connected to my pc, so it needs to be turned on 24/7.

although we have tight security in our condo, it was only completed end of last year and is now only 30% occupied. early this year, there were like 3 or 4 break-ins every day, and now, while the numbers have declined, there are still break-ins. a guard caught the burglars once. and from cctvs in the building, the burglars are identified as the renovation contractors. so, with so many units still undergoing renovation as a lot of owners only settled their last payment and got their keys 2 months or so ago, i need my own home security system.

and err.....it isn't my pc that wasn't working, it's filin's.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:21 AM
Vivien Wuz Ere

Location: Earth - where every human beings have to live together with animals
vivienlpl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
err, vivien, it's not really possible to turn off my pc. my home security system is wired into the modem which is connected to my pc, so it needs to be turned on 24/7.

although we have tight security in our condo, it was only completed end of last year and is now only 30% occupied. early this year, there were like 3 or 4 break-ins every day, and now, while the numbers have declined, there are still break-ins. a guard caught the burglars once. and from cctvs in the building, the burglars are identified as the renovation contractors. so, with so many units still undergoing renovation as a lot of owners only settled their last payment and got their keys 2 months or so ago, i need my own home security system.

and err.....it isn't my pc that wasn't working, it's filin's.
mind me asking why is your security wired to the pc - not separate?
so you have a cctv as well...
is it to monitor blackie behavior when left alone too ?
Old 08-31-2008, 06:57 PM
Tok Penghulu

Penghulu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
mind me asking why is your security wired to the pc - not separate?
so you have a cctv as well...
is it to monitor blackie behavior when left alone too ?
Maybe I can answer you this one...normally a security and alarm system is hooked up together in 1 PC makes the HDD [Hard Disk Drive] to records all that monitored by the cctv and the alarm is to trigger and sometimes if you are away..when the alarm is triggered and you need to reset it so you can do it from away Computer to your's at home.
Anyway let blackie give you more details of her home system..

MJ
Old 09-30-2008, 03:55 AM
Meow's Pets

firdaruddin is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to firdaruddin

if the thread opener are just nearby my place,maybe i can drop by just to see n consult what should be done@change..me staying in pandan indah,KL.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:31 AM
PetFinder Buddy

RoyBlue is on a distinguished road

Here's a joke...

I-Jeanne - good to serve as a "backup" PC in case your primary PC dies...
I-dola - It only looks good and promises a lot but it fails to deliver in the end...

As most of the people have already said, I too suspect the PSU as the main culprit behind all your computing woes.

Do get it replaced or checked out ie. blown fuse, dead lizard in the circuitry (it happens!!!)

A basic PSU would be less than RM100. High ended PSU's featuring true power and what-not is more suited or gamers/overclockers as they are able to supply a constant wattage to heavy drain devices within the CPU.

If lightning did indeed strike your CPU, you should check your modem as well as the phone line can indeed transmit harmful electrical spikes through the ethernet cable.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:18 AM
PetFinder Guru

Suhaimy is on a distinguished road

Hi guys! I am new here. Would love to help anybody here with their PCs or laptops (please not apple/mac). Doing IT biz but not to worry, wont charge you guys. Specialize in hardware & software. Just email, sms or call me if you need some advice. Cheers
Old 12-07-2009, 10:00 AM
Human :-)

prinz38i is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to prinz38i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhaimy View Post
Hi guys! I am new here. Would love to help anybody here with their PCs or laptops (please not apple/mac). Doing IT biz but not to worry, wont charge you guys. Specialize in hardware & software. Just email, sms or call me if you need some advice. Cheers
Old 07-06-2011, 01:37 PM
Animal Lover

jm58a is on a distinguished road

There could be various reasons for this and might not actually be the CPU. It might be your power supply or a cord not plug-in properly. Try and check your connections first, most of the time, this problem is caused by just minor issues.