Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > PetFinder Lounge > Coffee Room

Coffee Room Gossip on the latest topics or just mingle around and enjoy the atmosphere!

Old 04-22-2009, 11:42 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation
Default Anyone using Wimax here?

Is anyone using Wimax here? I've been testing out Wimax for the past 4 days, and it doesn't seem to be very stable.

By that I mean, if there is signal, it is incredibly fast, you could download a 1GB file faster than you can say "holy cow", even if the signal is red, signifying it's at its weakest. Which means, when the signal is green, it's almost as fast as the speed of light.

But there are many times when you simply can't get a signal at all. This could be anything from a minute to a couple of hours, occurring intermittently a few times throughout the same day.

Does any of you who use Wimax have the same problem? I know Vivien has this problem after the 7 days cooling-off period, and I'm not sure if I should stick with Maxis or switch to Wimax.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:36 PM
PetFinder Guru

daRLing is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone using Wimax here?

im currently using my sister's w1max,,before switching to w1max,she used celcom broadband,from what she said,w1max is much better than celcom brdband,,but i guess it depends on the signal n place u r located..

for now,i gotta say w1max i ok,,the signal is quite stable here,its worth for rm49 per month
Old 05-31-2009, 05:30 PM
~feline attaché

nurkasih is on a distinguished road

wimax...interesting topic..nway, this is my opinion of wimax.

Since i am very sick of streamyx, I do think of wimax..Kena pulak, my kawasan pun , georgetown..so..thinking thinking..and heard people say like wow...till i dapat dia punya brochure which...heheh macam broschure bisalah..teh real thing is dat, dear readers ..dia punya service pun atas sharing basis...macam streamyx ramai orang pakei sbb tue lah dia lembab...t kan ramai pakai wimax..pun benda yang sama pun jadi..

celcom broadband or anything related...ada max download speed yang mana .. akan slow down jugak...so finally i call my other half...who is working as a networking architect..( i should have ask him first tho..his field nway )..he said...'no, stay with streamyx and finish up the agreement. Streamyx is upgrading...i asked to the operation director itself...WiMax, akan sama..and you nak masuk dalam satu lagi agreement meh?"..itu lah yang dier jawab...

As I am living in Penang island, pikir2 balik, i duduk umah, i guna streamyx umah, i g sek, wireless sek...boleh tahan laju..pastue kalau i nak melepak..penang ada Wireless@penang..seriously...berdesup je masa i guna kat bus station dulu..so ...WiMax?..errr...t lah kot..heheheh for me at least
Old 05-31-2009, 07:25 PM
Petfinder Moderator

I agree, Nurkasih. Ever since 1993 or was it 1994 when we first had internet in KL, it has always been a case of when one ISP has too many subscribers, the connection is slow. The subscribers move to a faster ISP, and the previous one becomes fast because there are fewer subscribers now. While the faster one became slow due to too many users.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:03 PM
PetFinder Guru

cookie is on a distinguished road

Mr Double Oh Seven, if you can remember, our old office already had internet connection when you were there.

In fact, we had internet connection in the mid-80s but it was analog. Digital was not heard of yet then. Believe me, you could nod off when it went dialling 'kedek...kedek...kedek...and then...toot meaning either it was engaged or not connected. And had to keep on trying and trying (had to send the articles). In the end, we just took the disk and walked to HQ.

So you see, even the slowest at 20plus or 30plus KB (which I was using 2 years ago) is still faster than what I had and did years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie007 View Post
I agree, Nurkasih. Ever since 1993 or was it 1994 when we first had internet in KL, it has always been a case of when one ISP has too many subscribers, the connection is slow. The subscribers move to a faster ISP, and the previous one becomes fast because there are fewer subscribers now. While the faster one became slow due to too many users.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:14 PM
Petfinder Moderator

KL had internet connection since the mid-80s? Is it Internet or Intranet??

I thot Internet was only available in 1993 or 1994 when AIMS first brought it to the Malaysian shores?? They partnered with Jaring as AIMS provided the raw KLSE feed to KLSE's servers and felt it was easier to have Internet than using Intranet which everyone was using then.

For home-users it was dial-up through the copper telephone wires, while corporate companies could opt for a leased line connection which cost an arm and a leg, not like today, where it cost only a fraction of what it used to be.

Hmm..... *scratch head* let me go ask the man responsible for what I thought was the first Internet service. Will get back to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie View Post
Mr Double Oh Seven, if you can remember, our old office already had internet connection when you were there.

In fact, we had internet connection in the mid-80s but it was analog. Digital was not heard of yet then. Believe me, you could nod off when it went dialling 'kedek...kedek...kedek...and then...toot meaning either it was engaged or not connected. And had to keep on trying and trying (had to send the articles). In the end, we just took the disk and walked to HQ.

So you see, even the slowest at 20plus or 30plus KB (which I was using 2 years ago) is still faster than what I had and did years ago.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:32 PM
PetFinder Guru

Within HQ itself, we had intranet where we could message/email each other. This one was the office in Jalan Liku to HQ in Jalan Riong where you can hear the modem dialling the phone number. So this should be internet, right? Perhaps this was a private one; not for public.

If you are talking about public subscribing to internet, it was Jaring which was years later.

Quote:
KL had internet connection since the mid-80s? Is it Internet or Intranet??

I thot Internet was only available in 1993 or 1994 when AIMS first brought it to the Malaysian shores?? They partnered with Jaring as AIMS provided the raw KLSE feed to KLSE's servers and felt it was easier to have Internet than using Intranet which everyone was using then.

For home-users it was dial-up through the copper telephone wires, while corporate companies could opt for a leased line connection which cost an arm and a leg, not like today, where it cost only a fraction of what it used to be.

Hmm..... *scratch head* let me go ask the man responsible for what I thought was the first Internet service. Will get back to you.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:55 PM
Petfinder Moderator

You could have Intranet dial-up, too. And you'll hear the modem dialing the phone number as well. And as long as it's not for the public, it is Intranet.

I've sent an email to enquire, but I also googled and found out that the first Internet was available in 1992. But it was in 1995 that it gained publicity and in 1997 corporate companies and the general public started to take an interest in the Internet.

hehe.....my memory wasn't so bad after all. For a moment, I thot I was getting alzheimer's since I did remember that I was one of the guinea pigs trying out the first Internet service in M'sia, except I don't remember whether it was 1993 or 1994. Looks like it must be 1993 then. I was given a free account and was responsible for logging in and testing it every night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie View Post
Within HQ itself, we had intranet where we could message/email each other. This one was the office in Jalan Liku to HQ in Jalan Riong where you can hear the modem dialling the phone number. So this should be internet, right? Perhaps this was a private one; not for public.

If you are talking about public subscribing to internet, it was Jaring which was years later.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:54 PM
PetFinder Guru

You are right Mr Double Oh Seven! It certainly was the Intranet dial-up because we could not surf the Internet using it that time. And it was in the early 90s when we surfed the internet. Exactly what year I cannot remember. All I remember was my young colleagues whose parents were younger than me created an email account for me and taught me how to email as well as surf the Internet.
Quote:
You could have Intranet dial-up, too. And you'll hear the modem dialing the phone number as well. And as long as it's not for the public, it is Intranet.

I've sent an email to enquire, but I also googled and found out that the first Internet was available in 1992. But it was in 1995 that it gained publicity and in 1997 corporate companies and the general public started to take an interest in the Internet.

hehe.....my memory wasn't so bad after all. For a moment, I thot I was getting alzheimer's since I did remember that I was one of the guinea pigs trying out the first Internet service in M'sia, except I don't remember whether it was 1993 or 1994. Looks like it must be 1993 then. I was given a free account and was responsible for logging in and testing it every night.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:36 AM
PetFinder Guru

adamyala is on a distinguished road

I ve been using P1 wimax for 6 months already. Its getting better and better . Now browsing the net is a breeze. Besides, I m ONLY paying RM99 monthly for the whole house , we use 3 laptops and 1 PC. Goodbye to my maxis BB.