Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies

Dogs & Puppies General information and discussions on taking care of your canine buddy

Old 09-16-2010, 08:49 PM
Animal Lover

edrison is on a distinguished road
Default Standard height for 13 months old belgian malinois

Hi fren, i own a male belgian malinois and he now 13 months old but his height not exceed 23 inch? is it normal?will this puppy still growing up to 24inches?
Old 09-16-2010, 09:16 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Standard height for 13 months old belgian malinois

Hi, Edrison -- I have friends who work with GSDs and Malinois, training them as guide dogs for the blind. They've said that the dogs can keep growing til around the age of 2 years, given proper nutrition and exercise to keep bones strong.

2 years is also the age at which you can have your dog screened for hip dysplasia. Sorry to bring up an unhappy subject, and let's pray your dog does not have it. If he did inherit it, though, it's best you find out as soon as possible, so you can start working with your vet to keep him as comfortable as possible.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edrison View Post
Hi fren, i own a male belgian malinois and he now 13 months old but his height not exceed 23 inch? is it normal?will this puppy still growing up to 24inches?
Old 09-17-2010, 04:59 PM
Animal Lover

edrison is on a distinguished road

Hi Maneki,
Many thanks for your prompt reply.I feel worried with his growth because i had make visit with that breeder and found that some puppies from the same littler already growth more than 24inches height.but they look skinny than my puppy.The breeder oso told me the same word to me say, the puppy will keep growing till 18 months.He adds some word oso, not 100% all the puppies in the same littler will growth same size as the parents(sire 28 inches,damn 24inches).This word hit my heart again.
After hear ur message i feel more better now.Anywhere, no matter how tall or short the puppy will growth i still will love my doggie so much.Coz he really bring a lot fun to us.
Maneki, u din mention ur fren was a dog trainer and own GSD.Did ur fren breed this GSD?
Many Thanks
Old 09-18-2010, 07:53 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Hi, Edrison,

The breeder is right -- there's no way to predict your puppy's final height. They're like human children in the sense that each one is unique, and siblings in a litter may be very different from each other. If the dam mated with more than one male, the pups in her litter may all come from different fathers. That's probably not the case for your pup, but it explains why strays sometimes have such mixed-up looking litters.

As you say, though, your puppy's value comes from his heart, not his height.

My friends who trained GSDs & Malinois to guide the blind were in the US, and no, they did not breed. There were a few local breeders who would neuter and donate their dogs who were not up to show standards. They were still healthy and wildly intelligent, of course, but had some confirmation flaw that eliminated them as show dogs. The training started with socialization when the pups were still tiny and then proceeded for another 4 years until the dog could start working with his blind companion. Those dogs were absolute heroes in my book!

I hope your pup continues to bring you much joy. Dogs are such amazing animals! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edrison View Post
Hi Maneki,
Many thanks for your prompt reply.I feel worried with his growth because i had make visit with that breeder and found that some puppies from the same littler already growth more than 24inches height.but they look skinny than my puppy.The breeder oso told me the same word to me say, the puppy will keep growing till 18 months.He adds some word oso, not 100% all the puppies in the same littler will growth same size as the parents(sire 28 inches,damn 24inches).This word hit my heart again.
After hear ur message i feel more better now.Anywhere, no matter how tall or short the puppy will growth i still will love my doggie so much.Coz he really bring a lot fun to us.
Maneki, u din mention ur fren was a dog trainer and own GSD.Did ur fren breed this GSD?
Many Thanks