Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Pet Welfare, Rescue & Adoption > General Discussion

General Discussion General information and discuss on animal rescue, adoption and advocacy

Old 01-19-2009, 10:23 PM
PetFinder Guru

Nana is on a distinguished road
Default need help helping strays. Pls..

Hi I’m in need of help. I’m getting complaints regarding the strays that I’ve been feeding. They’re not toilet trained and thus they do their ‘business’ just about anywhere. I’m very inexperienced with regards to strays. So what I have in mind now, is to cage them a few days for toilet training and see if that works. So I’m thinking if there are anyone out there who’s willing to lend me cages for the cats?

Or if anyone has any other suggestion, I’m open for your opinions.

I have 1 cage, and I have caged 1 of the cats. Although a stray, fortunately she is very calm as long as I provide her food and water. While she’s in, the others just watch her eat and hope she’d drop a kibble or 2 for them to catch. It’s a pity, but I don’t wanna be a stray myself, and in my situation, if I don’t overcome their problems, YES, it is possible that I’ll end up, looking for a new place. Moreover, I already kantoi 1 time…I fed the cats (on the floor, no bowls so no proof) but they left few kibbles here and there… no need to guess who fed them .

I’m sorry that I have to ‘thicken’ my face to ask for cat cage, but I’ve given it lots of thoughts, and end up with this idea. And again, Yeah, I’m open for suggestion.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:54 PM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road
Default Re: need help helping strays. Pls..

Nana,u don't need the cage.Just scoop the poo and put it inside the litter box. When the stray cats sniff their own poo inside the box they will know that is their place for big & small business I've done that many times with strays around my area after my neighbours complaint abt the cats pooing and peeing everywhere. So I decided to put litter box for them outside my unit and one at the ground floor. My cat sitter on the ground floor help me to clean up the litter box on the ground floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana View Post
Hi I’m in need of help. I’m getting complaints regarding the strays that I’ve been feeding. They’re not toilet trained and thus they do their ‘business’ just about anywhere. I’m very inexperienced with regards to strays. So what I have in mind now, is to cage them a few days for toilet training and see if that works. So I’m thinking if there are anyone out there who’s willing to lend me cages for the cats?

Or if anyone has any other suggestion, I’m open for your opinions.

I have 1 cage, and I have caged 1 of the cats. Although a stray, fortunately she is very calm as long as I provide her food and water. While she’s in, the others just watch her eat and hope she’d drop a kibble or 2 for them to catch. It’s a pity, but I don’t wanna be a stray myself, and in my situation, if I don’t overcome their problems, YES, it is possible that I’ll end up, looking for a new place. Moreover, I already kantoi 1 time…I fed the cats (on the floor, no bowls so no proof) but they left few kibbles here and there… no need to guess who fed them .

I’m sorry that I have to ‘thicken’ my face to ask for cat cage, but I’ve given it lots of thoughts, and end up with this idea. And again, Yeah, I’m open for suggestion.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:25 AM
PetFinder Guru

That works ya. Hmm.. I'm also trying that la. I got their poo a couple times oredy. I caged one and she poo inside the litter box, (hehe to get her poo la, that's why I cage), now released already. I don't know if she'll come back for the litter box again or not. But for food of course she'd come back.

Ok la.. I'll keep trying that way la kak june. The thing is the people here, don't know that it would work that way (me myself not even sure with the strays). And b'coz I hv Bulan&Bintang living inside with me, they assume my house got taik evrywhere, they think my house is just yucky....huhu..and also show this disbelief face when I say..No lah, w/o fail they poo n pee in the box...It's like they're saying 'yeah right'.

Anyhow, I just really badly wanna have the strays poo in the box. Cause really, the people here just want me to stop feeding them immediately, and I must be crazy for thinking that they would want to poo in there. *sigh*
Old 01-20-2009, 08:35 AM
PetFinder Guru

Look at her...how can I resist feeding them...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00140.JPG
Views:	288
Size:	671.1 KB
ID:	3006  
Old 01-20-2009, 09:27 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road

Nana, don't just feed them. More important, you need to spay them. Use the feeding to get them close enough to trap for spaying. Spaying is more important than feeding. Because they will give birth to so many kittens and multiply that your neighbours will be even more angry and blame you and you will not be able to feed any one of them, not to mention the helpless kittens that they will catch and put in plastic bags/boxes to dump in longkangs and garbage dumps. It will break your heart!
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 01-20-2009, 09:56 AM
PetFinder Guru

lynielime is on a distinguished road

nana,
your stray kitty is adorable. i wouldn't be able to resist feeding her either.. i'm not sure what advice to give you..

i agree with june about the litter boxes.. somehow you've got to find ways to encourage them to make your garden and porch their home base. i've got a stray cat that i feed too. i used to feed her under my car, but now i've given her her own food and water bowls and litterbox and placed them right under a window looking out into my garden.. so now she is almost always in my garden and she does her business in her own private attached bathroom .. she always comes homes to do her business there in peace when she wants a food refill or attention, she will sit on the window sill and meow loudly into my house.. perhaps you could try the same?

oh and i've spayed her, to discourage roaming around..
Old 01-20-2009, 11:23 AM
Animal Lover

Betul tu Nana.klu u feed them but u didn't neuter,susah jugak.multiply dgn byknya.skrg yg tinggal strays blm neuter male cats saja.yg betina ada lg 3 ekor.2 msh nursing.bulan depan blh neuter dah.yg seekor lg tu kena pakai net tangkap.liar betul.last friday tried to catch her tp kakak punya tangan dia gigit dan scratch smp kena pigi clinic for jab.{ohmygod but i have not given up yet. tengah cari net mo tangkap dia.next will be male cats.kena spay female cat dulu because they got pregnant almost every 3 mths
Old 01-20-2009, 06:45 PM
PetFinder Guru

Yeah, I'm working out the money to get them spayed.

As I've mentioned to kak june, I'm very concerned with aftercare. My Bintang's wound was infected, and I kept her confined for over 3 weeks (could be I was overreacting). But yeah, she was given a course of antibiotic (lowest dose as told by the vet). She was confined and on e-collar from day 1. only after discovering that it was infected, i found out that, all the while, she'd been cooperating with Bulan. So Bintang from inside the cage would lie sideways at the very edge of the cage, and Bulan licked from outside. And I'm guessing that's why it was infected. I can't imagine how the strays are gonna take it...

I'm planning to have them neutered 1 at a time, there are 7 of them. i think 4 females, 3 males. I can't be home all the time, in fact, won't be home, most of day time, and definitely no one would assist me to look after the cats. Do you think that would be ok?

Then, if they are to be vaccinated twice, the soonest that 1 of them can be neutered is like in 3 mths, ya? the question is can the vaccination come after the neutering? Otherwise, they would definitely multiply within that period of time.

then as I mentioned, 4 females and 3 males. I guess I should start with the females ya? Does it matter whether I start with the younger or older females?

Please advise. Thanks.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:51 PM
PetFinder Guru

Another thing. I think 1 of them is pregnant, I don't know how to tell. So kesian if really pregnant, cause I think she herself is not nourished enough. Anything I can help her with?
Old 01-20-2009, 07:28 PM
Animal Lover

Nana,spay the female first. They can multiply in a blink.What I did was, round them up (the female) and send them to Klinik Kembiri to be spay. How young is the younger female cat?? If they already 5 mths old,then they are ready to be neuter.

After neuter,you can keep them in the cage.As long there's food,water and litter box you don't have to be at home 24/7 to monitor the cats. I'm working so I keep them in the cage and put inside the spare room.I close the door so other cats will not disturb them.

Klinik Kembiri can also neuter pregnant cat but extra $$$. Nana, pls PM me should you need help. I have 1 unuse cage and 4 carrier at the moment. No plan to use them for time being. I plan to catch the male cats next mth. Kumpul fulus dulu.heheheh!! This mth female cats turn,next mth male. Though I'm still have 2 nursing female yet to be neuter.

Normally u vaccine the cat before neuter but in your case I think better send for neuter first before another screaming kittens keluar.heheheh!!

Quote:
Yeah, I'm working out the money to get them spayed.

As I've mentioned to kak june, I'm very concerned with aftercare. My Bintang's wound was infected, and I kept her confined for over 3 weeks (could be I was overreacting). But yeah, she was given a course of antibiotic (lowest dose as told by the vet). She was confined and on e-collar from day 1. only after discovering that it was infected, i found out that, all the while, she'd been cooperating with Bulan. So Bintang from inside the cage would lie sideways at the very edge of the cage, and Bulan licked from outside. And I'm guessing that's why it was infected. I can't imagine how the strays are gonna take it...

I'm planning to have them neutered 1 at a time, there are 7 of them. i think 4 females, 3 males. I can't be home all the time, in fact, won't be home, most of day time, and definitely no one would assist me to look after the cats. Do you think that would be ok?

Then, if they are to be vaccinated twice, the soonest that 1 of them can be neutered is like in 3 mths, ya? the question is can the vaccination come after the neutering? Otherwise, they would definitely multiply within that period of time.

then as I mentioned, 4 females and 3 males. I guess I should start with the females ya? Does it matter whether I start with the younger or older females?

Please advise. Thanks.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:01 AM
PetFinder Guru

yes! agree with june 100%

spay the females! quick quick quick!!
don't worry its not as invasive as you think, and i think your bintang's wound getting infected is not a common thing.. usually they heal very very quickly so don't worry..

all my cats are spayed/neutered and they're up and about within a day
Old 01-21-2009, 10:20 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
... If they already 5 mths old,then they are ready to be neuter.
Slight correction, Sis ... 4 (FOUR) months ... they can get into trouble as early as 4 months!

Caroline's girls all got into trouble right at 4 months (I think the guys all couldn't resist them because like Mama, they were all such lookers!) and being a newbie Papa who was advised by so-called oldies Makciks and Kakaks that "Nah, the book and vet kata 6 months!", I was still goyang kaki, thinking my girls were still little girls!

My, my, I had to rush all of them to the clinic for spaying when their tum-tum still seemed buncit and (horror of horrors!) appeared to be growing even after deworming!

And I saw my poor little helpless, crouching and dazed Tiger (still a little small baby not even knowing what was happening) being dragged by the scruff by a male more than 4 times her size (she tried to hide under a car) out of her hiding place. I ran after and gave that guy hell!

The vet told me that all my little pretties had between 4-5 foetuses in them and one of them had been over 1 month.
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 01-21-2009, 10:36 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurKids View Post
Slight correction, Sis ... 4 (FOUR) months ... they can get into trouble as early as 4 months!

Caroline's girls all got into trouble right at 4 months (I think the guys all couldn't resist them because like Mama, they were all such lookers!) and being a newbie Papa who was advised by so-called oldies Makciks and Kakaks that "Nah, the book and vet kata 6 months!", I was still goyang kaki, thinking my girls were still little girls!

My, my, I had to rush all of them to the clinic for spaying when their tum-tum still seemed buncit and (horror of horrors!) appeared to be growing even after deworming!

And I saw my poor little helpless, crouching and dazed Tiger (still a little small baby not even knowing what was happening) being dragged by the scruff by a male more than 4 times her size (she tried to hide under a car) out of her hiding place. I ran after and gave that guy hell!

The vet told me that all my little pretties had between 4-5 foetuses in them and one of them had been over 1 month.
OMG!!!! i didn't know a male cat would do that!!! they're that aggressive? kidnap and rape????
Old 01-21-2009, 10:47 AM
PetFinder Guru

Thanks everyone. Will work on it. and thanks kak june for the offer, will sort it out first and see how it'll go.

I've a question, which may sound like *duh*. but I dunno. I've always thought that fleas on animals would not survive on humans. To what extent is this true? Cause when the people around here 1st found out that I had cats indoor with me. complaints had been arising that people around here have been getting 'kutu kucing' from MY cats. which stay indoor with me, vaccinated, bathed, slept with me, and I didn't get any sense of getting 'kutu kucing' myself. I defended my cats, and they couldn't find anything against me...ended up..."oh they must've gotten it from the strays." So me not knowing anything is like....hmm..whatever, all i know it's not from my cats.

Only after I started feeding the strays that I realize...how come I don't get 'kutu kucing' when I see them like everyday. While these people who claimed to hv gotten 'kutu kucing' wouldn't even get near the cats...Hmm.. I'm confused.

I'm gathering points to bring out in a meeting. Issues that I'll be addressing include toilet training for the poo here and there problem, neutering to prevent them from multiplying, and 'kutu kucing'? Hmm.. I'm hoping to be granted the permission, to work out the 'stray problem' myself. The matter has to be attended immediately, so before they do something about it, I'm gonna volunteer myself. The previous years, they would catch the cats and like drive it down to somewhere far, and just dumped them all here and there. Amazingly one month after, we can see the exact same cats return and eventually multiply. So the 'cat catch, throw' is repeated several times a year. Altogether, I just wanna convince them, that I can work it out and their presents would not anyhow bother other people's lives.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:51 AM
PetFinder Guru

hahahahhhaha your neighbors need to clean their houses... sounds like they have bedbugs and dustmites to me
Old 01-21-2009, 10:51 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Betul tu Nana.klu u feed them but u didn't neuter,susah jugak.multiply dgn byknya.skrg yg tinggal strays blm neuter male cats saja.yg betina ada lg 3 ekor.2 msh nursing.bulan depan blh neuter dah.yg seekor lg tu kena pakai net tangkap.liar betul.last friday tried to catch her tp kakak punya tangan dia gigit dan scratch smp kena pigi clinic for jab.{ohmygod but i have not given up yet. tengah cari net mo tangkap dia.next will be male cats.kena spay female cat dulu because they got pregnant almost every 3 mths
Alamak kak june...why sampai pigi clinic for jab? the cats here, females are ok2 la.. But male ada 1 yg very manja, 1 hissing type, and another 1, the least friendly among them, when he comes sure to hear growling here and there. Hmm..I'm almost certain, none of them have been neutered, it's a wild guess considering the area. But will they be able to tell if the cats have been neutered? meaning no need to open up inside to see, you can already tell that the cat has been neutered/spayed?
Old 01-21-2009, 11:53 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Quote:
Alamak kak june...why sampai pigi clinic for jab?
To prevent potential serious cellulitis, much pain and even possible death due to blood poisoning if not properly addressed should the toxin enters the blood stream.

A cat bite is potentially very dangerous because of the way the cat bites (the cat sinks its teeth and releases as opposed to a dog which sinks its teeth, then shakes causing tearing of wound allowing blood to ooze out, draining much of the wound of bacteria).

After a cat bite, the surface of the wound closes very rapidly, trapping much of the bacteria from the cat's mouth inside the wound unless you are able to press out as much blood as possible to drain the wound and later disinfect it.

The trapped bacteria will cause a painful abscess. If the wound is located near or on a joint, frequent movement will squeeze the infection into your blood system. You can see the angry red streaks entering your blood vessel. This can later cause blood poisoning leading to death.

Due to the varied spectrum of bacteria in the cat's mouth, certain antibiotics are not sufficient treat a cat bite like Erythromycin (which is pretty much useless these days due to resistance). Amoxyllin is ok, but save the expensive Augmentin as your silver bullet.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:32 PM
Animal Lover

itu kucing bite and scratch.bengkak so very dangerous and poisnous.not worrylah.this is normal klu kita kejar strays.heheheh!!

for male very easy to know if they arlready neuter.lift their tail,klu no balls mean dah kena neuterlah.tp klu female susah sikit mo tau.

FK,klu 4 bln tp blm 2kg seems durang tak mau neuterlah bro.

Quote:
Alamak kak june...why sampai pigi clinic for jab? the cats here, females are ok2 la.. But male ada 1 yg very manja, 1 hissing type, and another 1, the least friendly among them, when he comes sure to hear growling here and there. Hmm..I'm almost certain, none of them have been neutered, it's a wild guess considering the area. But will they be able to tell if the cats have been neutered? meaning no need to open up inside to see, you can already tell that the cat has been neutered/spayed?
Old 01-21-2009, 05:05 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Quote:
itu kucing bite and scratch.bengkak so very dangerous and poisnous.not worrylah.this is normal klu kita kejar strays.heheheh!!

for male very easy to know if they arlready neuter.lift their tail,klu no balls mean dah kena neuterlah.tp klu female susah sikit mo tau. .
Ish, ish, ish ..... (censored)

Quote:
If lai dat, kena kurung dlm sangkar, tahan tlinga kalau dia jenis soprano (but my girls no sound pun, bergolek lantai pun tak nampak ... but those rascals all seemed to know from the scent) and kasi belanja makan kaw-kaw daging dada ayam rebus yum-yum every day hingga the scale tip over 2 kg ... wakakakakaahhhh!!!!!
Old 01-21-2009, 07:31 PM
PetFinder Guru

Alamak, I wouldn't hv thought of that! So from your experience, how to know when I would need medical treatment? I'm thinking its subjective judgements? go if I think the bite is bad and really bengkak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurKids View Post
To prevent potential serious cellulitis, much pain and even possible death due to blood poisoning if not properly addressed should the toxin enters the blood stream.

A cat bite is potentially very dangerous because of the way the cat bites (the cat sinks its teeth and releases as opposed to a dog which sinks its teeth, then shakes causing tearing of wound allowing blood to ooze out, draining much of the wound of bacteria).

After a cat bite, the surface of the wound closes very rapidly, trapping much of the bacteria from the cat's mouth inside the wound unless you are able to press out as much blood as possible to drain the wound and later disinfect it.

The trapped bacteria will cause a painful abscess. If the wound is located near or on a joint, frequent movement will squeeze the infection into your blood system. You can see the angry red streaks entering your blood vessel. This can later cause blood poisoning leading to death.

Due to the varied spectrum of bacteria in the cat's mouth, certain antibiotics are not sufficient treat a cat bite like Erythromycin (which is pretty much useless these days due to resistance). Amoxyllin is ok, but save the expensive Augmentin as your silver bullet.
Quote:

for male very easy to know if they arlready neuter.lift their tail,klu no balls mean dah kena neuterlah.tp klu female susah sikit mo tau.