Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Pet Welfare, Rescue & Adoption > Animal Organizations & Societies

Old 10-16-2008, 11:49 AM
Animal Lover

superkitty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Volunteers needed for SPCA & PAWS

Hi Andy,

I was pretty busy for the past few months. And when I'm free I found myself don't have transport to go. I can drop by either next monday or tuesday if nobody has volunteered yet. Just let me know what time is good and who should I meet. I have no idea what is the processs.

btw, is there anyway to go to PAWS using LRT and rapid kl bus?

---------
Superkitty
Old 10-16-2008, 12:26 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

AndyKoh has disabled reputation

Hi Superkitty,

Another volunteer, Darren mentioned that he'll likely be going to PAWS this weekend. If he can't make it, it'd be great if you could go there on Mon/Tues to take the photos. It'd be crucial for us to get the profiles ready soon so we can feature them in the upcoming Petster magazine publication due next week. I'll definitely keep you updated here on the photo taking.

Alternatively, if you are free on Sunday, you can even meet Darren there and take photos together, that'd cover a larger number of animals.

Can someone please advise on transport to PAWS by LRT/Bus?
Old 10-20-2008, 11:25 AM
Animal Lover

How's the shooting yesterday? I hope it all went well...
Old 10-20-2008, 02:06 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

Hi Superkitty,

The photographer didn't manage to take any pics over the weekend... would you be able to assist PAWS in doing so within this few days? You can let the PAWS person in charge, Edward know that you are shooting the pictures on behalf of PetFinder.

Please take multiple photos for each pet, and capture down basic details such as its Tag ID (and name if available), breed, age, gender and any basic descriptions available.

Please let me know how it goes, thanks.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:25 PM
PetFinder Buddy

Darren is on a distinguished road

hi guys,

couldnt really get the photos yesterday, but i already passed the current profiles to the officers at PAWS for updating. Perhaps one of these days , we could go up ther and go for snapping, with new pics and profiles...
Old 10-21-2008, 01:32 PM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKoh View Post
Hi Superkitty,

The photographer didn't manage to take any pics over the weekend... would you be able to assist PAWS in doing so within this few days? You can let the PAWS person in charge, Edward know that you are shooting the pictures on behalf of PetFinder.

Please take multiple photos for each pet, and capture down basic details such as its Tag ID (and name if available), breed, age, gender and any basic descriptions available.

Please let me know how it goes, thanks.
Hi Andy, I will drop by this thursday morning. Edward is there full time? How will I know which animal to take? Breed, age, gender? How to get that?

superkitty
Old 10-21-2008, 03:01 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

Hi SuperKitty,

Awesome! Edward is the manager there, and I believe he's present most of the time. To be sure, can you please call PAWS at 03-78461087 and confirm with him that he will be available during that time?

The details should be available at the cages where the animals reside - if it is not available or does not state clearly, you can check with Edward or Lily there.

Please take photos of the newest animals - those that have just arrived since middle of September
Old 10-23-2008, 11:08 AM
Animal Lover

Hi Andy,
I am sorry to tell you that I won't be going to PAWS today nor anytime in the near future. I did give a call to Mr.Edward, the manager. To my surprise, I was greeted with a barrage of scolding from Mr.Edward about how petfinder should give them a few days notice and a lecture about courtesy. Eventhough I explain to him nicely that I just volunteered and I have no idea what is the process, he continued to yell at me like a mad dog. He was rude and unreasonable. I'm just speechless. Now, I have no idea what is the problem between petfinder and PAWS. But I can tell you one thing, I don't take this kind of attitude from anyone. Not even if I'm being paid to do this. I'm sorry to tell you that you'll have to find another volunteer to do this. I'll try my best not to be associated with PAWS in the future.

Superkitty
Old 10-23-2008, 12:41 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

Hi SuperKitty,

I'm sorry for what you've been put through. I'm very surprised at his response too. In his earlier email to me, he was telling me that they are low in resources and would welcome assistance on photographing the pets, and we've always had a good working relationship with them. In fact, this is how the process worked with all our earlier volunteers and we have never had any problems or complains from PAWS, only positive feedback.

I will get in touch with Edward to find out what the problem is. Maybe he is not in a good mood due to the problems and stress he is going through in the tough challenges of managing an animal shelter.

To our earlier volunteer photographers at PAWS - Ai Ney and Darren, can you tell us whether you faced any such situations?
Old 10-24-2008, 12:00 AM
PetFinder Buddy

Gosh superkitty, sorry to hear your bitter experience... but i salute that you are willing to devote your precious time.

So far ive been to PAWS ive never been encountering any uncool experience like that.

I usually liase with lily, shes a nice and willing to help you , as she always reminds me, "You are helping us, so we help you also lah". This is all for the sheltered animals.

I started join as volunteer there, last 2 months, and was there every 2 weeks. Then last month i was quite bz with Bell with vet appointments every weekend.

If i can get any pictures there, it is enough i play around with them. These kind of things are , in reality , the hurdles that we need to clear.

Superkitty, how about giving the animals another chance. Divert your attention from any human factor. There are hundreds of lonely souls there that needs attention.

Say how about we go in 2 - 3 in a group, or we can also organize a mini gathering there... Just bring your Digital cameras... How about dis sunday... Tire yourself, but u can still relax on monday.

thanks

Last edited by Darren; 10-24-2008 at 12:14 AM.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:22 AM
Founder, PetFinder.my

Yes, Darren is right... Superkitty, Darren and the other volunteers receive our utmost respect and appreciation as you guys are doing a very noble job in giving the animals a second chance in life...

Generally, the people at the shelters are very nice, but undoubtedly sometimes people get moody due to work or personal problems etc, and it would be a pity if we neglect their innocent animals as a result of accidental human conflict.

I have also sent Edward an email to find out if there are any preferred procedures that he'd like us to follow, so that it makes things more convenient for them. I am sure things will be fine and everything will be cleared up.

I (and especially the animals at PAWS) thank you for your understanding.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:29 AM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation

We should protect our Petfinder member out there for do volunteer job. We want be sure they are happy and glad to do. Other else our member suffer like Superkitty tragedy. We send the man, we need they return in happy face.

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:34 AM
PetFinder Buddy

thanks andy,

its better to seek clarification and develop mutual understandings.

We will come to paws genereally for 2 Reasons:

1. Officially - to take pictures , and gather new data on new inmates.

2. Unofficially - to spend time with the animals, reduce weekday stress, clean / comb them, and try to establish a bond with them, so they will feel needed.

For Reason 1, yes, perhaps an arrangement with the office is essential so the process will be smoother.

For reason 2, i think there is not necessary to make any advance arrangement, as it is at our own free will to spend time with them...
Old 10-24-2008, 06:50 PM
PetFinder Guru

Location: Seri Kembangan, Selangor (Yeah, we got free water!)
sillylupie is on a distinguished road

Oh dear, that's one not very nice Edward at PAWS. Who is he anyway? Moody or not, stressed or not, this is not a way to treat a volunteer!

Superkitty, don't let this one experience puts you off ya? Like what Darren said, it is all for the animals!

Also, I agree with DIMB, volunteering should be a worthwhile experience! "We send the man, we need they return in happy face."

sillylupie-shop
http://sillylupie-shop.blogspot.com
Old 10-24-2008, 07:43 PM
PetFinder Buddy

pugsnmutts is on a distinguished road

i've only met Edward once during my few visits to PAWS to take photos of the animals... he was ok n nothing unpleasant happened...
from the 2nd visit onwads, i liaise with Lily to check the files on which animals was adopted, n with the staff there where they'll help me check the tag number on dogs and give me info about the cats...
things went well during my visits, i just did my stuff n will ask Lily or the staff if i have any questions about the animals...
i've been really busy these few months... hope to go paws again soon as i see the profiles have not been updated for quite some time...
Old 10-26-2008, 12:34 AM
Animal Lover

Thanks everyone for the concern. It's no big deal really. I just like to gripe alot. It's true that I probably call Edward at the wrong time. If he would just simply ask me to arrange for another time to go, I would be happy to do it. There is no reason to take it out on somebody whom he has never even met.

anyhow, I'm normally not free during the weekend. sorry about that...

superkitty
Old 10-29-2008, 11:11 AM
PetFinder Guru

somebunny is on a distinguished road

Hi, looks like I've missed out on quite a bit here.. haven't been checking into the forum lately hehe

I'm still up for photographing the animals at PAWS. But I agree with Darren, we need to do this in an organised manner. Set a date in the future, group together a few photographers, give Edward at least a week's advanced notice. I sensed he was quite upset with impromptu photograpy attempts too, when I last went to PAWS.

I'm OK for weekends.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:56 PM
PetFinder Buddy

lisalau is on a distinguished road

Hi, Andy. I am new on petfinder.my's forum. I am interested to do volunteering work at animal shelters (PAWS, SPCA, Furry Friends Farm, etc). I don't have a car and don't drive. I am thinking of I can take lrt and meet up with a group of animal lovers who go volunteering at the shelters.

My colleague and I saw a young dog (mongrel) living under the stairs outside our office and we do not know anyone who can foster this dog (we named the dog, Milo). After a week, we called PAWS, spoke to Edward and Uncle Charles and a pakcik came to take Milo to PAWS shelter. We thought that's the best thing to do rather than just left Milo living under the stairs.

I have never been to an animal shelter before and therefore have no experience volunteering but I would love to learn as I go and do something.

Please advise.

Thank you.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:31 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for participating in PetFinder and your generous volunteering. I believe Ai Ney (pugsnmutts) will be making a trip to PAWS soon to take photographs of animals for listing in PetFinder, likely within this month. I will check with her on the schedule and let you know, so you can meet up with her and help on the photography, as well as volunteer your assistance at the PAWS shelter.

Please send me a private message with your contact details so I can get in touch with you, thanks.

If you or your friends come across any strays outside your office, you can try posting their profiles at PetFinder too. The shelters are often swarmed with animals and might not be able to take in all the reported strays.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:43 PM
PetFinder Guru

BellXun is on a distinguished road

Hey Hey,

Just read this thred for the first time. Hmm. interesting. Andy, Can u PM me the location of the PAWS compound, see if it is close to me or not. I am interested in helping out too. Never been to a animal shelter b4. Just send me an SMS if u need extra hands to help. :)

Bell