Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens > Health, Disease & Diet

Health, Disease & Diet Find out the best tips and practices on managing your cat's diet, health care, and issues with diseases from our community of animal lovers

Old 07-20-2009, 12:30 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Felv+/FIV+ policy for rescues

Here is another interesting read from http://www.mail-archive.com/felvtalk.../msg22680.html .....

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Felv+/FIV+ policy for rescues

Question to Jennifer Phaewryn O'Gwynn from TenHouseCats
Sun, 12 Nov 2006 15:55:23 -0800

Well, one month isn't really enough for FeLV retesting.... I've never seen anything about needing to wait to confirm an FIV negative, though I guess it couldn't hurt. I've gathered though, that it will show up much quicker than will FeLV infection. there also doesn't seem to be any real info about adult cats being able to process out the FIV virus once a cat has it, unlike with FeLV.

Answer from Jennifer Phaewryn O'Gwynn

On 11/12/06, Jennifer Phaewryn O'Gwynn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Test for both, using the combo ELISA "snap" test (the one most vet offices do right while you wait in the exam room).

If it shows double neg, retest again with same test in 1 month to confirm negative prior to adoption as neg cat, if the cat being absolutely negative is that important to your adoption policy (personally I guarantee that any cat adopted through my rescue TESTED negative, not that the cat IS negative, NOTE the phrasing, it will save you from a lawsuit!

I keep all testing records on file even after cat is adopted). If either side shows positive, confirm with a IFA for FELV.

Confirm with new DNA test for FIV. Retest using confirmation testing type in 2-6 months. You will also need a clause in your adoption contract that states that the adoptive owner must contact you in the case of the cat being euthanised for ANY reason prior to euthanisation, unless the cat is suffering and it is the only humane option.

This saves cats that later test positive from being automatically euthanised by their vet without contacting you first.

Phaewryn

+++++++++++++++++++
Spay & Neuter Your Neighbors!
Maybe That'll Make The Difference ....
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 07-20-2009, 12:33 PM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road
Default FeLV

Phew!! bro.tks a heap for the information dan articles.aku kena belek dan baca betul2 one by one.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:07 PM
PetFinder Guru

linda_gamble is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to linda_gamble
Default Re: FeLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
Phew!! bro.tks a heap for the information dan articles.aku kena belek dan baca betul2 one by one.
good luck....akak....
syg akak....

Last edited by linda_gamble; 07-20-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:24 AM
PetFinder Guru

honeybun is on a distinguished road

Salam June

Baru terbaca thread ni, but only first and last page jer coz panjang sgt. So if I tertinggal any important info, sori ya. Anyway sorry to know about your cats. Hope it will turn out okay.

I dah bela kucing dari kecik, pastu stop kejap masa college dan early working days. (tu pun ada curi2 bela illegally kat dorm and apt gak) Now dah 5 years start bela balik. Dah berpuluh2 kucing that comes and go into my life, and they're all special in thier own ways. Tapi belum ada seekor pun yang mati dengan FeLV ni. I pernah dengar, tapi belum pernah mengalaminya. Kalau ada pun, mungkin tak ketahui.

Bila baca thread ni, rasa bimbang pula. If you can share, what is the earliest sign to look for?
Old 07-21-2009, 10:46 AM
Animal Lover

Default FeLV

Saya pun sama.blm pernah lg kucing2 saya dari kecik smp besar mati pasal penyakit ni.yg paling common,sakit tua,kena langgar,kena gigit anjing jiran sebelah & kena catnap.

ikut kata vet,perhatikan clinical sign spt tak mau mkn,losing vet,murung dan kurang interaksi dgn kucing lain spt biasa yg durang buat. tp kena ingat gak,kdg2 kucing tak mau mkn bukan semestinya FeLV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybun View Post
Salam June

Baru terbaca thread ni, but only first and last page jer coz panjang sgt. So if I tertinggal any important info, sori ya. Anyway sorry to know about your cats. Hope it will turn out okay.

I dah bela kucing dari kecik, pastu stop kejap masa college dan early working days. (tu pun ada curi2 bela illegally kat dorm and apt gak) Now dah 5 years start bela balik. Dah berpuluh2 kucing that comes and go into my life, and they're all special in thier own ways. Tapi belum ada seekor pun yang mati dengan FeLV ni. I pernah dengar, tapi belum pernah mengalaminya. Kalau ada pun, mungkin tak ketahui.

Bila baca thread ni, rasa bimbang pula. If you can share, what is the earliest sign to look for?
Old 07-21-2009, 10:47 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Honeybun, there are no specific set of symptoms that tell us for certainty that a cat has FeLV and no test procedure for this disease is foolproof. Some cats can have false negatives on the test and others can have false positives. This is why all diagnostic tests are interpreted in light of other findings.

If you do a Google, you will find a lot of good education information on FeLV on the internet for cat owners.

You will also find FeLV+ cats up for adoption (see their pics below) on the internet at places like http://ucat.us/FELVadopt.html like the posting they put up for a cat named Anika (1st pic) below:

------------------------------------------------------------

Anika
Flamepoint Himilayan,
FeLV+

Anika is a young (10-12months) flamepoint himmie, spayed, up-to-date on vaccines, who was found roaming the cold streets of Salem, NH. As a persian, she was clearly a lap cat previously, and is very loving and cuddly. she has tested positive for FeLV on a first snap test, but may well retest negative in 120 days if she throws the virus off as so many healthy cats can and do. however, the shelter she is in does NOT have the facilities to keep her for retesting, so they are trying very hard to find her a foster home.

Please contact Lori at http://ucat.us/FELVadopt.html if you can offer this little beauty a FOSTER or adoptive home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AnikaFELV.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	6734   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mia.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	6735   Click image for larger version

Name:	NOAHkitten.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	6736   Click image for larger version

Name:	NOAHkitten2.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	6737  
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies

Last edited by FurKids; 07-21-2009 at 11:00 AM.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:25 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Sis, I am so very sorry to hear about Coklat ... I share your deep sadness in this very difficult time ... I don't know what to say ... I am so, so sorry, Sis ...
Old 07-23-2009, 06:08 PM
Animal Lover

Default FeLV

Bro,aku broken hearted thinking of Coklat's condition.The though of losing her already make cry

I have to accept that one day she will go. I hope I can feel her presence like what people said abt cats after they passing

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurKids View Post
Sis, I am so very sorry to hear about Coklat ... I share your deep sadness in this very difficult time ... I don't know what to say ... I am so, so sorry, Sis ...
Old 07-24-2009, 08:48 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Quote:
Bro,aku broken hearted thinking of Coklat's condition.The though of losing her already make cry

I have to accept that one day she will go. I hope I can feel her presence like what people said abt cats after they passing
June, we are with you in this sad moment. Yes, you will definitely feel her presence at her passing. Cats are very psychic, and from my experience, they do communicate with you especially if you will tune in to your inner senses. And Coklat will be your guardian angel watching over you and your hubby till you see one another again on that very special day .... she will come galloping over the meadows to greet you with great joy ... every single cat that has crossed our lives will do that, Sis!
Old 07-26-2009, 04:42 PM
Animal Lover

Default FeLV

Bro,Coklat dah mati td around 315pm. tak tau nak describe mcm mana punya sedih.kucing2 kat rmh pun suma very quiet.diam je duduk kat one corner. rasanya durang pun tengah bersedih.

Quote:
June, we are with you in this sad moment. Yes, you will definitely feel her presence at her passing. Cats are very psychic, and from my experience, they do communicate with you especially if you will tune in to your inner senses. And Coklat will be your guardian angel watching over you and your hubby till you see one another again on that very special day .... she will come galloping over the meadows to greet you with great joy ... every single cat that has crossed our lives will do that, Sis!
Old 07-26-2009, 05:54 PM
PetFinder Guru

Felix The Cat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Bro,Coklat dah mati td around 315pm. tak tau nak describe mcm mana punya sedih.kucing2 kat rmh pun suma very quiet.diam je duduk kat one corner. rasanya durang pun tengah bersedih.
My deepest Condolence to you June.

I know that you must be very sad in losing Coklat but at least Coklat is no longer suffering. Coklat is in cat heaven now. At least she was loved by you and husband when she was alive. That is the most important thing.

Take care June.

Felix The Cat - Dee wonderful wonderful cat!
http://felixthecats.weebly.com
http://livinginmyworld-phyllis.blogspot.com/
Old 07-26-2009, 11:25 PM
Call me Yuana or Yan ;)

euanna is on a distinguished road

Takziah Kak June.

Tak dapat bayangkan betapa sedihnya kehilangan Coklat. Hang tough and stay strong. I'm sure Coklat knows she was loved deeply by you and your husband.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:13 AM
PetFinder Guru

meira is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to meira

sorry to hear bout coklat kak june.kak june kene kuat semangat tau..peterpan n others need u even more now.be stong ok!!
Old 07-27-2009, 11:52 AM
saanggaaatt suke MeOwww!

habidaiya is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to habidaiya Send a message via Skype™ to habidaiya

kak june... takziah.. semoga akak tabah hadapi dugaan..
Old 07-27-2009, 11:59 AM
Animal Lover

Default FeLV

Tks Nurul,Meira, Diya.akak semalaman nangis.smp pagi td bgn nak buka mata pun rasa melekat pagi td lepas uruskan anak2 bulus yg lain akak masuk bilik yg tempat Coklat tido dlm cage dia.akak lupa dia dah tiada.ingat nak uruskan dia.blh buka pintu baru nampak cage dah kosong

Quote:
Originally Posted by habidaiya View Post
kak june... takziah.. semoga akak tabah hadapi dugaan..
Old 07-27-2009, 12:04 PM
saanggaaatt suke MeOwww!

habidaiya is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to habidaiya Send a message via Skype™ to habidaiya

Quote:
Tks Nurul,Meira, Diya.akak semalaman nangis.smp pagi td bgn nak buka mata pun rasa melekat pagi td lepas uruskan anak2 bulus yg lain akak masuk bilik yg tempat Coklat tido dlm cage dia.akak lupa dia dah tiada.ingat nak uruskan dia.blh buka pintu baru nampak cage dah kosong

alahai...betape luluhnyer hati...Tuhan saje yg tahu...
Old 07-27-2009, 12:28 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Quote:
The pain in the heart that comes while looking into that empty cage where she had been every day for many days and should still be there alive and breathing and purring asking you to cuddle and stroke her ... feels like someone gave you a very hard punch into the chest and knocked the wind out of you, doesn't it, Sis ... air mata berlinang ........... oouuuuchhhh, Coklat sweetheart ........
Old 07-27-2009, 05:33 PM
Animal Lover

Default FeLV

how true

Quote:
The pain in the heart that comes while looking into that empty cage where she had been every day for many days and should still be there alive and breathing and purring asking you to cuddle and stroke her ... feels like someone gave you a very hard punch into the chest and knocked the wind out of you, doesn't it, Sis ... air mata berlinang ........... oouuuuchhhh, Coklat sweetheart ........
Old 07-27-2009, 07:05 PM
PetFinder Guru

Felix The Cat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
OMG Your words are so sad la Furkids You made me recall when I lost my Georgio and Ling Ling. Words cannot describe the pain I feel when I lost them Please be strong June for your self and for the rest of the cats at home. They can sense your sadness .

Felix The Cat - Dee wonderful wonderful cat!
http://felixthecats.weebly.com
http://livinginmyworld-phyllis.blogspot.com/
Old 07-27-2009, 10:12 PM
Animal Lover

Default FeLV

mmg sedih sesangat Nurul.ko taukah semalam aku tido diluar.heret selimut,bantal & comforter sebab panas sgt.kucing2 lain tidur keliling kamirang.biasanya durang bukan begitu.mgkn 2 atau 3 ekor saja.tp semalam suma keliling kami.aku rasa mcm sempit semacam sebab atas kaki,sebelah tangan,atas kepala mcm terblock.bila buka mata & bgn mo pigi toilet,tgk durang siok siok tidur keliling.mengkali durang pun mo pujuk2 kami bah ni.kasih sejuk ati yg tengah sedih ni

BTW Nurul,nanti mo pigi amik BW aku kasih return ko itu cage.aku pindahkan si Daybonk dlm cage si Coklat pakai dulu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix The Cat View Post
OMG Your words are so sad la Furkids You made me recall when I lost my Georgio and Ling Ling. Words cannot describe the pain I feel when I lost them Please be strong June for your self and for the rest of the cats at home. They can sense your sadness .