Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Pet Welfare, Rescue & Adoption > General Discussion

General Discussion General information and discuss on animal rescue, adoption and advocacy

Old 09-25-2013, 03:56 PM
Animal Lover

HunnyLim is on a distinguished road
Default Urgent Advise Needed about TNRM

I had been feeding the stray dogs near to my work place for nearly a year now. I am in urgent need for advise on what are the steps I need to take to bring them to be neutered? I drive a small car and I don't have large cage.

Last month, one dog gave birth to 7 pup but 6 died. I only managed to rescue and rehome one pup.

Now I saw another dog is pregnant!

I want to stop this breeding nightmare but I don't know what to do. I was told by animal rescue groups to bring these dogs myself to the vet. How can I do that? I need a van and at least one or 2 person to help me to trap them.

After the neutering, what am I to do with them? I can't release them back on the street cos the wound will be still in stitches.

Pls pls anyone out here who can help!!
Old 09-25-2013, 07:07 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Urgent Advise Needed about TNRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunnyLim View Post
I had been feeding the stray dogs near to my work place for nearly a year now. I am in urgent need for advise on what are the steps I need to take to bring them to be neutered? I drive a small car and I don't have large cage.

Last month, one dog gave birth to 7 pup but 6 died. I only managed to rescue and rehome one pup.

Now I saw another dog is pregnant!

I want to stop this breeding nightmare but I don't know what to do. I was told by animal rescue groups to bring these dogs myself to the vet. How can I do that? I need a van and at least one or 2 person to help me to trap them.

After the neutering, what am I to do with them? I can't release them back on the street cos the wound will be still in stitches.

Pls pls anyone out here who can help!!
Hi, Hunnylim -- a few questions:
  • Where are the dogs located?
  • You mentioned that you need help catching them. Have you been feeding them regularly to gain their trust? This will make it much easier to catch them.
  • How many dogs are you talking about?
Old 09-27-2013, 04:25 PM
Animal Lover

Hi Maneki,

I have been feeding them since January 2013 and majority of them are friendly towards me that they even climb up to me at times and lick my hands when I feed them.

They are based in Puchong Utama.

In total, there are around 8 dogs (2 young adult dogs and 6 old dogs).

Pls help me or help them!
Old 09-27-2013, 08:26 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Quote:
Hi Maneki,

I have been feeding them since January 2013 and majority of them are friendly towards me that they even climb up to me at times and lick my hands when I feed them.

They are based in Puchong Utama.

In total, there are around 8 dogs (2 young adult dogs and 6 old dogs).

Pls help me or help them!
Hi Hunnylim --

It's encouraging that you've established such good relations with them. The fact that you've been feeding them also suggests that they're in good health and will be fit enough to undergo the surgery.

It may be possible for SPCA to arrange transport for the dogs, although I can't speak for them. What I do know is this: You'll need to catch and enclose the dogs and fast them before the driver comes with the van to collect them. This is essential, because if the dogs haven't fasted (no food or water for 24 hours), they can't be anaesthetised. Unfortunately, many people have asked SPCA staff to come and collect animals for spay/neuter, and when the van arrives, the staff find the animals running around loose -- a big waste of their time and resources.

Can you do that? If so, I'll see if we can get SPCA to work with you to coordinate the transport, surgery, etc.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:56 PM
Animal Lover

Hi Maneki

If I am working alone, then I can only catch 1 at a time, starting with the female young adult.

Pls kindly advise. Thanks.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:56 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Quote:
Hi Maneki

If I am working alone, then I can only catch 1 at a time, starting with the female young adult.

Pls kindly advise. Thanks.
Hi Hunnylim --

I contacted SPCA, and they may be able to assist you with transport, assuming you are able to catch the dogs, seeing that the dogs trust you.

It would be best if you can contact them directly, explain your situation to them and see if they can help you get all these pups de-sexed. I hope so! :-)

The email address is: inspectorate.spcaselangor@gmail.com
Old 10-02-2013, 11:22 AM
Animal Lover

Hi,

I have emailed to the email address given but no reply from them. I have also given them my hp number.

I am feeling very stressed with no help. Now in a way, I know why most people shy away from helping cos they don't know how to help and whom can assist them in helping..

I am a cancer survivor and thus, my family had advised me not to bother cos they don't want me to be stress but I can't turn my back from the strays I had been feeding.

I truly need help from anyone who from the animal rescue group...

I had approached KLPR, MDDB, MIAR, Furry Farms, SPCA, PAWS, MyAnimalCare but no one had come forward to help until you came along and help...thank you so very much.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:15 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Quote:
Hi,

I have emailed to the email address given but no reply from them. I have also given them my hp number.

I am feeling very stressed with no help. Now in a way, I know why most people shy away from helping cos they don't know how to help and whom can assist them in helping..

I am a cancer survivor and thus, my family had advised me not to bother cos they don't want me to be stress but I can't turn my back from the strays I had been feeding.

I truly need help from anyone who from the animal rescue group...

I had approached KLPR, MDDB, MIAR, Furry Farms, SPCA, PAWS, MyAnimalCare but no one had come forward to help until you came along and help...thank you so very much.
Hi Hunnylim --

I can feel the frustration and sadness in your posts. As someone who does not drive, I also have to confront limitations in what I can do to help animals, and it's painful, especially when there are so many in need.

I believe the folks at SPCA Inspectorate are expecting your message, but it may take them a few days to reply, given that they are also stretched to their limits. Sadly, the same is true for all the NGOs you mentioned -- just too many animals in desperate straits, and not enough resources (either human or financial) to help them all.

The fact that you are at least trying to help these dogs and have been giving them food is already an act of compassion.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:16 PM
Animal Lover

Bard186 is on a distinguished road

hi hunnylim

try contact this... Maybe you can get subsidy for medical dan spay-neuter cost

http://myanimalcare.org/contact/
Old 10-02-2013, 03:45 PM
Animal Lover

I have been crying since noon till now cos when I was on MC yesterday, the shop owner told me that MPSJ had captured 2 of the dogs! I am devastated as I know, once they are captured, it is death sentence for them as they will not be redeemed by anyone else. I want to redeem them but I have no space, no funds, no helpers and no time. I worry if I take them home, their skin disease will pass to my 4 dogs at home. I really feel so lost and sad.....Should I stop caring anymore so I will not feel the sadness in my heart? Why no shelters can help them? So many why's in my head but I know the shelters are all trying their best to help the needy ones.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:01 PM
Animal Lover

I spoke to a rescuer who advised me to get the dogs out from the pound, 'pay money' to the people there, quarantine them in the vet for at least 7 days and then neuter them, release them on the street and finally, 'pay money' to the dogcatchers so they will not come to disturb at this area. What do you guys think? Should I do that?
Old 10-02-2013, 05:55 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Quote:
I spoke to a rescuer who advised me to get the dogs out from the pound, 'pay money' to the people there, quarantine them in the vet for at least 7 days and then neuter them, release them on the street and finally, 'pay money' to the dogcatchers so they will not come to disturb at this area. What do you guys think? Should I do that?
Let me ask you this (and please bear in mind that I don't know your area at all):

Can you rally support from the people who live and work in the area for the idea of managing this small group of de-sexed dogs?

Once they understand that the dogs are no longer reproducing, most people will calm down a lot. Next, if restaurant owners/hawkers will contribute left-over food to the dogs, it will both take the strain of feeding off you and ensure that the dogs are well-fed. They'll no longer need to tear into rubbish bins or beg. Thus, no nuisance. In essence, they can become your neighbourhood's "rice-fed security squad."

The key point here is raising support amongst the members of the community. A short while ago, a few animal welfare NGOs approached elected officials and asked them to leave all ear-notched (neutered) animals alone. The officials were polite and attentive, and most said they appreciated the idea. The problem, however, comes when their constituents complain. When residents complain, the dog-catchers must go out and capture the dogs.

The goal: create a situation where the dogs are not a nuisance (neutering, feeding, etc.) and build support amongst the humans to accept these community dogs. There are a few examples of this situation that I know of in KL, so it's not purely a pipe dream.

I've personally never dealt with MPSJ dog-catchers, so I have no idea how greedy or ruthless or reasonable they might be. It may be that they are only responding to complaints. If they're truly unethical, I question whether paying them off will ensure the dogs' safety.

Let me contact a few other folks and see if we can get them to share their opinion, too, and quickly -- I know you have limited time to get these dogs out of the pound. :-(

10:15pm: Hi again -- I've been chatting with another animal rescuer who shared this point: "The million dollar question would be 'Do you have a place?'" In other words, especially after the dogs have been in the pound, exposed to other dogs and all manner of diseases, they will need to be quarantined for 7-14 days before neutering. If you have landed property, that might be a makeshift kennel outside the house: "They could build a kennel-like enclosure to quarantine dogs may it be at back lane, back yard etc Targeting one or two at a time. One out, one in if you know what I mean."

If that is truly impossible for you, I would ask you not to despair. You may or may not be able to save these dogs, but you obviously care very deeply for animals. Think about what you can do, how you can join with other rescuers to do TNRM as a team. Raise funds to sponsor spay/neuter, or just raise awareness. As you see, there is no shortage of desperately needy animals out there. None of us can help them all, but we can help some of them. And that's better than doing nothing!

Last edited by Maneki Neko; 10-02-2013 at 10:24 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:33 AM
Animal Lover

I get what you mean but it is not possible to get the people here to fend for these dogs. Already, I have been told off for feeding them. Esp this particular tuition centre's principal. He is very annoyed with these dogs cos one or two of them barked at his students who were waiting for their parents at the pavement and these students ran in, crying. So, I have a feeling he was the one who called the MPSJ. Honestly I don't really blame him and the rest of the shop operators here. On this row of shops, we have a chinese coffee shop, MyDin, a hair salon, 2 tuition centres and coming up will be a dialysis centre. The strays had been sleeping on the pavement and children and Muslims dare not walked by cos of them. I work in one of the tuition centre too and my students' parents always call me to take their kids up cos there are dogs lying at the pavement outside my centre.

I feel for the dogs cos they have no place to sleep. The vacant land opposite our row of shops have no shelter. This is where I feed them. When it rains, I am unable to feed them cos of no shelter.

Ok. Back to the dogs that were captured. Yesterday evening on my feeding rounds, I counted how many dogs are there so I can prepare the right amount of containers to fill the food in. There were 8. And all these while I have been feeding 8 dogs. So, there were no shortage.

I believe the dog catchers may have captured dogs from another road who may have run to this side of the road OR the Indian man may have bailed them out. This Indian man feels indebted to these dogs cos apparently one or 2 of them saved his life. Whenever he is around this area, he will pack fried rice for them and in fact, he bought a bag of dog food and passed to the Indon worker who works in the coffee shop to feed them (which I don't know if she has done so or not).

Personally I feel 'bribing' the dog catchers will not help in my area. It may help if it is a residential area but this is a business district and the people who have shops/offices here only have the aim to make money and not to let the strays affect their business.

I believe when the dialysis centre opens end of this year, they will call the dog catchers! Even if they are neutered, they are still not safe here and I don't know what to do.

I live in a small townhouse and with 4 dogs at home, I honestly don't have space nor time. I am a single mother some more...
Old 10-04-2013, 04:21 PM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
Hi Hunnylim --

I contacted SPCA, and they may be able to assist you with transport, assuming you are able to catch the dogs, seeing that the dogs trust you.

It would be best if you can contact them directly, explain your situation to them and see if they can help you get all these pups de-sexed. I hope so! :-)

The email address is: inspectorate.spcaselangor@gmail.com
Hi Maneki,

It has been nearly 3 days but SPCA has not reverted. I am so afraid that the dog catcher may come again..
Old 10-08-2013, 10:57 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Quote:
Hi Maneki,

It has been nearly 3 days but SPCA has not reverted. I am so afraid that the dog catcher may come again..
Hi Hunnylim -- I've been away for several days so just saw your post today. Again, I do not work for SPCA and can't speak on their behalf. I can only suggest following up with them, perhaps with another email or by telephone. Still wishing you luck in getting these dogs neutered, vaccinated, and perhaps moved to a more welcoming area.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:59 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Hunnylim, I just sent you a PM. Please check it! Thanks.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:50 PM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
Hunnylim, I just sent you a PM. Please check it! Thanks.
Thanks. I have emailed to Lorna a minute ago. Hopefully she can help me.

Thanks. I owe you plenty!
Old 01-10-2014, 02:22 PM
Animal Lover

kawanz is on a distinguished road

Dear Hunny Lim,

I've just met this forum and read all the forum here.

How is the strays dogs.

I would like to said that I'm also facing the same problem on TNRM. Asking around for help and advises.
Then 3 nos of the dogs breed ed with lots of puppies. Is this the "marks" for this examination?
Last 3 days, 2 of the strays were poisoned and the news was circulated by MIAR and hot commented by many animal lovers.
Yet......any solution?

On the positive side, I'm glad that we now know who are the true good heart persons among our friends. And also we have met and make friends with a few new good heart persons like "Maneki Neko" along the road to help the strays. They are priceless friends.

We are not alone. Sharing out and the problem will be solved soon.

At the moment, my priceless friends are helping me on TNRM.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:28 PM
Animal Lover

AbbysMom is on a distinguished road

I hear farms take in dogs.they must feed dogs. Can we all do something n find farms who need dogs so we can send our lovely spayed strays there,..I'm keen to start something going but need people to help.im not mental n don't have a bone to pick with anyone..im quite sane. I don't have self interest here or looking for new ways to make money..I promise
Old 07-03-2014, 08:19 PM
Animal Lover

kawanz is on a distinguished road

As I'm still quite new here, I may be wrong with this opinion; the farm dogs are usually facing the issue of being poisoned.