Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Reviews, Notices & Stories > Success Stories

Success Stories Share your happy and heart-warming "tails" with our community. Let us know about your successful rescue, rehome or adoption efforts!

Old 08-26-2008, 01:05 PM
PetFinder Buddy

baca882004 is on a distinguished road
Default Little Sally

Part 1

There was this little bundle of fur at SPCA. I saw "it" for a month, lying quietly in the cage whenever I visited. It needed a good home, I thought, but never considered adopting. The truth was, I am not a toy dog person, preferring bigger and more active ones like Goldens and Labradors. I probably can't stand the yapping, I told myself. What am I going to do with such an old dog?

The lady at SPCA was doing her best to persuade me to take her (the dog was a girl, I found out later). A week passed and she seemed more lethargic and sickly. Finally, I decided to take leave one day to bring her to the vet. Only to give her the shots and have her checked out, fully intending to put her back later.

I gave her a bath at SPCA. As expected, she was all bones and fur, no body fat at all. But the surprise came when I picked her up. She behaved like a real lady. She was relaxed and leaned against me, never made a noise, never mis-behaved. She sat in my car quietly, eyeing me once in a while. At the vet, she was patient and endured all the handling by the vet.

Unfortunately, she had fever and needed a week of medication. Her spleen was swollen and her eyes, infected. Needless to say, I didn't have the heart to put such a gentle lady back into the cage. So I brought her home and feeling like I've done something too impulsive.

It was raining heavily that day. She (still nameless) waited patiently in the car while I zoomed around town buying a cage, collars, Orijen, bowls and toys. I told her she was lucky it was raining so heavily as she can wait in the car while I shopped.

We got home and she explored the compound a bit, ate a bit and then slept a long while.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01_SallyDay01b.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	446   Click image for larger version

Name:	02_SallyDay01b.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	447   Click image for larger version

Name:	03_SallyDay01b.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	448  
Old 08-26-2008, 01:24 PM
PetFinder Buddy

Default Re: Little Sally

Part 2

I wanted to call her Peppers. But my daugther wanted Molly or some cartoon's name. So we settled on Sally because it seems to suit her. My Golden Retriever was ecstatic and tried to play. Sally can't stand such a hyper-active, jumpy 1 year old. So she just followed me around and ignored the Golden completely.

For the next 3 - 4 weeks, I found new things about her. First, she rarely barks and if she did, it was loud and quite deep. She is toilet trained and well-mannered, never bite things lying around the house. She needs to do her business outside, near the road. She won't even "go" in my garden. She's a picky eater, don't play with toys but she loves greenies. She dislike wet floors and wet grasses, preferring to skip or jump through.

Of course, she was also an escape artist. It never occured to me to put grills on the gate because I was used to big dogs. So she ran out of the house a few times, caused near heart-attacks on my part. But she ran out always to do her business. And because she's small, I have a hard time finding her when she hides herself around the house.

But her health was not great. Her infection took almost 1 week to clear. Then a few days of good health and she came down with demodex. Mites, said the Vet and that took 2 - 3 weeks to get better. Then, her eyes started acting up and turned cloudy. More anti-biotics and eye-drops. All through this, Sally took her medication willingly, even the eye-drops. Such a good girl!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	04_Sally_2Weeksb.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	449   Click image for larger version

Name:	05_Sally_2Weeksb.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	450  
Old 08-26-2008, 01:32 PM
PetFinder Buddy

Part 3

More than a month later, Sally is healthy and has adjusted well to my home. I now understand her routines well, as she understands mine. It feels good to be the only one she runs to when we come home. She loves to sit next to me when I do my chores. Give me one of her winning smiles when I look at her. She doesn't run out anymore (of course, we put the grill up too) because she knows I'll bring her for a walk every evening.

Oh, and the Vet said she's only 4-6 years old. I look forward to spending many, many more years with Sally.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	06_Sally5Weeksb.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	451   Click image for larger version

Name:	07_Sally5Weeksb.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	452  
Old 08-26-2008, 01:35 PM
PetFinder Guru

lynielime is on a distinguished road

sally sounds like a wonderful dog! how old is she? how is her health now?

i adopted two dogs from spca too and i love them very, very much. they make me so happy. i love coming home to them. like you, i also didn't plan on adopting a dog from spca at all.. but sometimes you just end up bonding with a dog and its meant to be. its out of your control.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:38 PM
PetFinder Buddy

She's around 4-6 years old. Not too old. And she's doing great, eating and playing like normal. Ya, I never thought I'll get such a small dog but she's great. Now she's my favourite.

I supposed once you bond, there's no turning back.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:38 PM
PetFinder Guru

oh oops she's 4-6. i missed that well she looks great in the last picture. healthy and happy! bless you for changing her life.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:39 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation

That is such a touching story, baca882004. Sally sounds so sweet, so well-mannered. I am so happy to hear that she has found such a loving home and owner at last. Give her a hug and kiss for me.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:41 AM
.:: Baby, I dig you! ::.

Location: Subang Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia, World of Animal Lurve...
BabyZee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BabyZee

Wow! Before and after results..

Before

After...Tadaaa!!!

Sally is so cute and adorable...
It's a great thing you save her baca882004, i'm sure deep down in Sally's hear she appreciated it a lot and it show's how she behave towards you..
i'm happy for your family and Sally...
Do post her pics at the dog's section, don't forget to post your Golden too!
I just love happy endings...
Old 08-27-2008, 07:33 AM
PetFinder Buddy

Will do, when I got a good pics of the Golden, will post up.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:42 AM
Animal Lover

rowentan is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Little Sally

Good job baca882004! You should give yourself a pat on your back.

By the way, if you want it to have a nice shiny fur of coat and good health, give it some HiVite vitamin daily.

Also, Sally seems like to be abused by her previous owner because of the tendency to show the fangs when humans. I would advice you to give her more tender loving care, slowly socialize her to more people and tell her in a firm voice of "NO" when she shows her fangs. Get your friends or family member to let her smell the palm of their hands before touching her. That shall eliminate her fears of humans.

With time, patience, love and efforts she will turn out to be a very lovely dog.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:57 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowentan View Post
Good job baca882004! You should give yourself a pat on your back.

By the way, if you want it to have a nice shiny fur of coat and good health, give it some HiVite vitamin daily.

Also, Sally seems like to be abused by her previous owner because of the tendency to show the fangs when humans. I would advice you to give her more tender loving care, slowly socialize her to more people and tell her in a firm voice of "NO" when she shows her fangs. Get your friends or family member to let her smell the palm of their hands before touching her. That shall eliminate her fears of humans.

With time, patience, love and efforts she will turn out to be a very lovely dog.
actually i thought her teeth are just like that no? like she has an underbite? i thought she looked very cute with an underbite.. some people have underbites too
Old 08-27-2008, 11:08 AM
PetFinder Buddy

Yes actually, Sally has a big underbite. Probably the most serious I've seen. But she's eating well and ya, the underbite kindda grow on you. First day, it scared the kids 'coz they thought she was angry. Nowadays, we forgot she had an underbite until someone pointed it out.

HiVite vitamin, can get at pet shop? The Vet gave me Omega Fish oil capsules, but she's not too keen. I had to spread them around her food.

My daughter going great with Sally. My son (who's in Kindergarten) and Sally they're not very close. Probably jealous of each other and fight for mummy's attention. But he cares about Sally, just not keen on playing with her, which is fine.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:33 AM
Banned

ashleywong is on a distinguished road

Hi baca882004

thanks for sharing sally's success story with us. it means so much to know there are still good in the sea of blackness out there.

congrats to you and sally for finding each other.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:54 AM
Animal Lover

rowentan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynielime View Post
actually i thought her teeth are just like that no? like she has an underbite? i thought she looked very cute with an underbite.. some people have underbites too
It's ok if it's just an underbite. I've dealt with abused dogs before and they tend to be so defensive of themselves that even a friendly human approaches them, they tend to show their teeths like underbite. In fact, some of them tend to turn into a permanent underbite. So, i tought that sally has been a victim of abused and i'm glad to find out that she isn't. Good luck and all the best.

What a happy ending.. So nice...
Old 04-27-2009, 09:33 AM
PetFinder Buddy

New Update - Took new pictures today and was surprised she looks quite good in the pictures. She's still wonderful and loving. Clean and very smart.

She does't look like a 6 year old dog. Sometimes, she'll run around the yard very, very fast. And on good days, she can outrun my 10 year-old daughter in a race.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sally_April2009.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	4827  
Old 04-27-2009, 03:31 PM
PetFinder Fosterer

Mia_Katz is on a distinguished road

good job baca....

sally looks verry healty... she's lucky 2 have u...

may god bless u n your family...
Old 04-27-2009, 04:22 PM
PetFinder Guru

cookie is on a distinguished road

This picture of Sally reminds me of Chewbaca in Star Wars fame.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:06 PM
PetFinder Guru

wow she's become so fluffy! she looks gorgeous and happy
Old 04-27-2009, 05:16 PM
PetFinder Buddy

Yes, she is a happy old girl. We are so blessed to have her.

And yes, in fact, a few of my friends said to me, "You know that hairy creature from Star Wars?". And I went "Chewbacca?". Yupp!

My mother in law said she looks like door mat. Because Sally likes to sleep flat on the floor. REALLY flat. MOst times, her legs and tummy are pointing to the ceiling.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sally_Sleeping.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	4829  
Old 04-27-2009, 05:39 PM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road
Default Little Sally

Baca!!!!!!!!!!! is that floor mat or your dog on the floor?