Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > PetFinder Lounge > Coffee Room

Coffee Room Gossip on the latest topics or just mingle around and enjoy the atmosphere!

Old 02-17-2009, 02:07 PM
PetFinder Guru

lynielime is on a distinguished road
Default News-Chimpanzee Tragedy in Connecticut

hi everyone,
i want to share an article i just read on yahoo news. i think its hearbreaking, the choices people may have to make between their beloved pets and their friends.. the owner of the chimpanzee in this article had to hurt it.. what an awful choice to make.. made me cry..

Police in Conn. shoot chimp after it attacks woman
By STEPHANIE REITZ, Associated Press Writer

HARTFORD, Conn. – A 200-pound pet chimpanzee once seen in TV commercials mauled a woman visiting its owner Monday and cornered a police officer in his cruiser before he shot and killed it, authorities said.

Stamford police Capt. Richard Conklin said the injured woman was hospitalized late Monday in "very serious" condition at Stamford Hospital; her identity was not immediately released. Conklin said she suffered "a tremendous loss of blood" from serious facial injuries.

The 15-year-old chimpanzee's owner and two officers also were hurt, though police said the extent of their injuries was not immediately known.

Police said they had no idea why the chimpanzee, named Travis, attacked the woman as she got out of her car to visit the animal's owner, Sandra Herold. Conklin said Herold wrestled with the animal, then ran inside to call 911.

"She retrieved a large butcher knife and stabbed her longtime pet numerous times in an effort to save her friend, who was really being brutally attacked," Conklin said.

Travis ran away and started roaming on Herold's property as police arrived. Officers set up security so medics could reach the critically injured woman lying on the ground, Conklin said.

As the woman was treated, the chimpanzee went after several of the officers, who retreated into their cars, Conklin said. Travis opened the door to one cruiser and started to get in, trapping an officer who then shot the chimpanzee several times, Conklin said.

The wounded chimpanzee fled. Conklin said police followed the trail of his blood down the driveway, into the open door of the home, through the house and to his living quarters, where he had retreated and died of his wounds.

Well-known around Stamford because he rode around in trucks belonging to his owners' towing company, Travis appeared on TV commercials for Old Navy and Coca-Cola when he was younger, made an appearance on the "Maury Povich Show" and took part in a television pilot, according to a 2003 story in The Advocate newspaper of Stamford.

"He's been raised almost like a child by this family," Conklin said Monday. "He rides in a car every day, he opens doors, he's a very unique animal in that aspect. We have no indication of what provoked this behavior at all."

A message seeking comment was left Monday night at Herold's home.

Conklin said the chimp has been ill from Lyme disease, "so maybe from the medications he was out of sorts. We really don't know."

Police have dealt with the animal in the past, including an incident in 2003 when he escaped from his owners' vehicle in downtown Stamford for two hours. Officers used cookies, macadamia treats and ice cream in an attempt to lure him, but subdued him only after he became too tired to resist.

At the time of the 2003 incident, police said the Herolds told them the chimpanzee was toilet trained, dressed himself, took his own bath, ate at the table and drank wine from a stemmed glass. He also brushed his teeth using a Water Pik, logged onto the computer to look at pictures, and watched television using the remote control, police said.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:57 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation
Default Re: News-Chimpanzee Tragedy in Connecticut

Oh no, that's so awful......poor chimpanzee.
I wonder what set if off. From the report, the chimpanzee is almost like a human family member, not feral at all.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:00 PM
PetFinder Guru

lynielime is on a distinguished road

yeah such an awful situation.. and to think the poor owner had to stab her own beloved pet.. omg i can't imagine how horrible she must feel about the whole thing, for her pet's sake and for her friend that was attacked.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:10 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation

Yeah, if I were her, I think I'd go crazy after that. I believe she would be traumatised after this. It's horrible, it's either her friend or her pet. A person should not have to make that awful decision.