Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Pet Welfare, Rescue & Adoption > Animal Organizations & Societies > SPCA

SPCA All discussions and information related to the non-profit SPCA organization. SPCA is the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:12 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Spca ampang in need of more adopters...

Hello, all -- Let me be clear from the start: I don't want to start a fire-storm here. I just want to relate a conversation that I overheard and ask a sincere question. It was between a Malaysian man (a cat lover who has adopted from SPCA in the past) and woman. The woman said that SPCA is now charging RM200-250 for adoption of cats. The man replied, "What?! Can buy pedigree from pet shop for that lah!"

Keep in mind, this man is an animal lover who does not support pet shops. His point was clear: asking this sort of fee for adoption of cats is not going to encourage people to adopt strays from shelters.

When I adopted my cat from SPCA, the fee was RM100. As it turned out, she had not been spayed, and if she'd gotten any vaccinations there, the SPCA couldn't give me any proof of it. I paid my own vet for vaccinations, deworming and spaying, after giving RM100 to SPCA. My Malaysian friends told me I'd been foolish, but I figured the SPCA needs funds to operate, so I let it go.

My question is this: If the RM200-250 adoption fee leads animal lovers to consider a pet shop a relative bargain, is it in the animals' best interest to charge such a high fee? And for that sum, can the SPCA provide proof of deworming, vaccination, and in the case of female cats, spaying?

I agree with charging a reasonable adoption fee. It discourages people from adopting pets thoughtlessly and attaching no value to them. It also helps to cover the medical costs that the shelter/rescuer has incurred (shots, neutering, etc.) The question is, what is reasonable? Thoughts, anyone?
Old 05-04-2009, 09:47 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation

you've raised a good point, maneki. if the adoption fee is currently being compared to the price of a "pedigree" pet in a petshop, then it might deter potential adopters.

having no experience with paying for adoption --- my blackie was "picked off the street" --- i am in no position to say what is reasonable or not.

but personally,if i'm looking to adopt another pet, i would pick up a stray from the streets and take it home than pay to adopt one. there are so many homeless strays on the streets. your heart just goes out to them, seeing them in a hungry and dirty state and you can't help wanting to "save" them from the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
Hello, all -- Let me be clear from the start: I don't want to start a fire-storm here. I just want to relate a conversation that I overheard and ask a sincere question. It was between a Malaysian man (a cat lover who has adopted from SPCA in the past) and woman. The woman said that SPCA is now charging RM200-250 for adoption of cats. The man replied, "What?! Can buy pedigree from pet shop for that lah!"

Keep in mind, this man is an animal lover who does not support pet shops. His point was clear: asking this sort of fee for adoption of cats is not going to encourage people to adopt strays from shelters.

When I adopted my cat from SPCA, the fee was RM100. As it turned out, she had not been spayed, and if she'd gotten any vaccinations there, the SPCA couldn't give me any proof of it. I paid my own vet for vaccinations, deworming and spaying, after giving RM100 to SPCA. My Malaysian friends told me I'd been foolish, but I figured the SPCA needs funds to operate, so I let it go.

My question is this: If the RM200-250 adoption fee leads animal lovers to consider a pet shop a relative bargain, is it in the animals' best interest to charge such a high fee? And for that sum, can the SPCA provide proof of deworming, vaccination, and in the case of female cats, spaying?

I agree with charging a reasonable adoption fee. It discourages people from adopting pets thoughtlessly and attaching no value to them. It also helps to cover the medical costs that the shelter/rescuer has incurred (shots, neutering, etc.) The question is, what is reasonable? Thoughts, anyone?
Old 05-05-2009, 06:48 AM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road
Default Spca ampang in need of more adopters...

Maneki,I have raised this question when not so well to do friend of mine decided to adopt cat/kitten from SPCA.They are charging her for RM200 that supposedly include vaccination,deworm and neutering.But this girl is from out of town and it doesn't need a rocket scientist to figure out how on earth is she going to bring the kitten for deworming,vaccination and neuter on schedule. So she went to her vet in town instead.The thing was,she initially intend to adopt the other kitten (they were siblings) but couldn't afford to pay RM400 for 2 kittens.

Recently she adopt 2 more kittens from the street. The question is Charlene,if everybody decided to adopt stray from the street what happen to the cat in SPCA?? People adopt from SPCA because they know how hard for SPCA to maintain the place with overflowing of dogs and cats with limited workers and fund (from the way they story was tell seems that they short of workers and fund. Not my own word) Some strays can adapt and adjust with human and they can be adopted but not all strays can be adopted.Once they were ferals from born,they won't be able to mingle with human at home and other cats at home (if the house have any cats). Like strays in my area, I feed them regularly and trapped them for TNR.They can't live with human.I tried already. Finally, I let them go and they seems happy to be back to their own colony and area.

Quote:

Last edited by June; 05-05-2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:27 AM
PetFinder Guru

mrsdolittle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezer View Post
Wow... nice story there Mrs. Dolittle... Everyone can help indeed...

Oh, we miss you at the PetFinder dinner...
I knowwwwwww....

Duty calls la my dear Ezer... I dah ready a nice long flair flower power halterneck dress for the evening, but arghhhhhhhhhh....

...THE DAY I KNOW THE MEANING OF TRUE LOVE, LOYALTY, TRUST AND FRIENDSHIP...
...TIGER IN MEMORY...
Old 05-05-2009, 12:32 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:

Hello Maneki,

Thanks for the feed back.

Firstly, i need to know what type of cat was being adopted for so much. The ADOPTION FEES differ from one breed to another or / and also depends on the gender of the adopted animal(s). Female should be higher than male. Why? Its easier to neuter THE MALES since they need not to cut open the womb...

Secondly, i need to know who charge your friend so much (if the cat was a DSH). Actions and attentions will be brought forward to the Chairperson. I GUARANTEE YOU. Should the animals adopted be a semi pedigree or pure breed, of course the fees are higher. Believe you me, these semi / 100% pedigree are the most wanted FROM THE SHELTER (S). WHY? What is wrong with mongrels and DSH? Need not answer this question.

Thirdly, receipt should be issued for what ever amount paid to the counter. Details of second and third de-worming, second vaccination and lastly date of spaying / neutering, if the animals has yet to be spayed/neutered. All of this should be stated at the back of the receipt upon the day of adoption at full payment. Animals are fully ready for spaying / neutering at the age of 6 MONTHS. Could your friend possibly adopted a kitten instead of A CAT? SPCA Ampang would not release AN UN NEUTERED / SPAYED, UN VACCINATED CAT OR DOG (excuse my grammar and vocab). A booking fee OR full payment can be made IF THE ANIMALS ARE YET TO BE SPAYED / NEUTERED. OWNERS WILL COME BACK AND CLAIM THE ANIMALS TWO WEEKS AFTER ALL PROCEDURES ARE DONE.

Fourthly, when you come back for the second vaccination, the card will be given to you. ONLY IF YOU COME BACK (we need to know if the animals adopted is in good care). Or else, SPCA AMPANG WILL CALL YOU. Thats the standard procedure.

Fifthly, SHOULD I REMIND ALL AGAIN, ALL FEES PAID INCLUDED OF AN ANIMAL, THE SPAYING / NEUTERING , 1ST VACCINATION AND DE-WORMING.

Sixthly, thank you for adopting from SPCA Ampang. May God bless your kind heart and soul. Do not let THE HUMAN's mistakes, assumptions stop us from saving / helping the animals from the shelters or anywhere they are.

Seventhly, FEEDBACKS ARE WELCOME. Regardless if its positive or negative.

Thanks and sincerely,

SHAHRUL @ Mrsdolittle

...TIGER IN MEMORY...

Last edited by mrsdolittle; 05-05-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:18 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Thanks for the clarification, Mrs Dolittle. I am sure SPCA Ampang & its image will be much improved now, with an active volunteer from petfinder. At least, now we some answers publicly.

Err, you mean DSH is not popular? Aww, that means no one wants my Blackie? Not that he's up for adoption, NO WAY. But just kind of sobering to realise that a cat that is so precious and valuable to me is not adoptable just because he is not a pedigree even though he's as beautiful as any pure breds.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:37 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie007 View Post
Thanks for the clarification, Mrs Dolittle. I am sure SPCA Ampang & its image will be much improved now, with an active volunteer from petfinder. At least, now we some answers publicly.

Err, you mean DSH is not popular? Aww, that means no one wants my Blackie? Not that he's up for adoption, NO WAY. But just kind of sobering to realise that a cat that is so precious and valuable to me is not adoptable just because he is not a pedigree even though he's as beautiful as any pure breds.
Hello Blackie007,

Need not thank me, just doing my job. Thanks to all for raising questions and issue, so it could be made cleared and also to be brought forward to the management. Like it or not...

About DSH not being popular, (sigh...) If you were there to see how fast the semi / pure breed being re-homed and left the DSH waiting ...and dunno for how long. Poor thing.... I mean, nothing against the Pedigree. Its not their fault, but the human's choice and preferences. What can we do?

This is why I keep on emphasizing and calling all people out there to come and help these poor creature out of the shelter.

About the pricing, you can always refer to me and we will surely get back to any of you.

The only thing here is there are more and more cats, kittens, dogs and puppies being abandoned and surrendered to the shelter. its getting too much. Its really sad. Regardless what being said about the shelter, people still come to us for these means .

Its not easy Blackie, but if everybody gives up on us, the poor animals are going to be the victim. Its not fair at all.

There is nothing fair about this world but, somewhere, somehow, somebody needs to do the dirty job (not proud of it). If we are not here, then who will?

Cheers Sis.

...TIGER IN MEMORY...
Old 05-05-2009, 04:07 PM
Petfinder Moderator

No, it's really not fair, and despite what some people here say, I think KL is a better because of SPCA. If it ceases to exist, there will be more abandoned animals and strays on the streets as the irresponsible owners would just throw them out.

Yours is a thankless task, Mrs Dolittle, and I truly admire you for persisting. Your kindness will be rewarded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsdolittle View Post
Hello Blackie007,

Need not thank me, just doing my job. Thanks to all for raising questions and issue, so it could be made cleared and also to be brought forward to the management. Like it or not...

About DSH not being popular, (sigh...) If you were there to see how fast the semi / pure breed being re-homed and left the DSH waiting ...and dunno for how long. Poor thing.... I mean, nothing against the Pedigree. Its not their fault, but the human's choice and preferences. What can we do?

This is why I keep on emphasizing and calling all people out there to come and help these poor creature out of the shelter.

About the pricing, you can always refer to me and we will surely get back to any of you.

The only thing here is there are more and more cats, kittens, dogs and puppies being abandoned and surrendered to the shelter. its getting too much. Its really sad. Regardless what being said about the shelter, people still come to us for these means .

Its not easy Blackie, but if everybody gives up on us, the poor animals are going to be the victim. Its not fair at all.

There is nothing fair about this world but, somewhere, somehow, somebody needs to do the dirty job (not proud of it). If we are not here, then who will?

Cheers Sis.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:54 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie007 View Post
No, it's really not fair, and despite what some people here say, I think KL is a better because of SPCA. If it ceases to exist, there will be more abandoned animals and strays on the streets as the irresponsible owners would just throw them out.

Yours is a thankless task, Mrs Dolittle, and I truly admire you for persisting. Your kindness will be rewarded.
Please don't thank me Blackie. I guess, we all have to serve our purpose in this world. There will be a lot of challenges along the way. We have to be strong and keep our head up.

Yes! Persistent work Triumphs,Inches make Champions and Action is Eloquence.

Giving up will never help us NOR the poor animals. We all should get together and be as one. Time will tell... may all the animals find a happy home and have a happy ending towards the end of the day. It may sound like a fairytale / make believe. But if you really believe in it, DREAMS DO COME TRUE...

...TIGER IN MEMORY...
Old 05-05-2009, 05:37 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Quote:
Firstly, i need to know what type of cat was being adopted for so much. The ADOPTION FEES differ from one breed to another or / and also depends on the gender of the adopted animal(s).
Dear Mrs. Dolittle,

You don't have to look far for examples of the RM200-250 adoption fee -- the DSH cats listed on Petfinder are all listed at those fees.

Please understand, I am not trying to deprive the SPCA of funds, but if high adoption fees are stopping people from adopting, then who suffers? You said it yourself -- the animals.

As for the other points, I adopted Maneki a year ago from SPCA. She was an adult then, and everyone assured me she had been spayed. One lady on the staff said that Maneki had received her first vaccinations and that I should return her for the boosters. When I phoned back the day after I took her home to confirm that, another staff member told me that my cat had not received any vaccinations. I gave up and took her to my local vet for the shots. A month later, she went into heat. Good thing she's an indoor cat! Or maybe not a good thing -- I didn't sleep for a week!

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: I know SPCA has too few resources and too many strays. I also feel that KL is better off with SPCA than without it, so I don't want to bash the organization. What's past is done. I brought up the adoption fee issue in reaction to the conversation I overheard, not because of my own experience. The thought of people seeing an adoption fee at SPCA and immediately thinking, "Hmmm, I'll go to a pet shop instead" just makes me crazy. If RM200-250 is what SPCA needs to collect to stay in business, well, I guess that's the way it is.

Either way, I thank you for your good heart and your devoted work!

Blessings,
Amanda
Old 05-05-2009, 06:19 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Dear Mrs. Dolittle,

You don't have to look far for examples of the RM200-250 adoption fee -- the DSH cats listed on Petfinder are all listed at those fees.

Please understand, I am not trying to deprive the SPCA of funds, but if high adoption fees are stopping people from adopting, then who suffers? You said it yourself -- the animals.

As for the other points, I adopted Maneki a year ago from SPCA. She was an adult then, and everyone assured me she had been spayed. One lady on the staff said that Maneki had received her first vaccinations and that I should return her for the boosters. When I phoned back the day after I took her home to confirm that, another staff member told me that my cat had not received any vaccinations. I gave up and took her to my local vet for the shots. A month later, she went into heat. Good thing she's an indoor cat! Or maybe not a good thing -- I didn't sleep for a week!

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: I know SPCA has too few resources and too many strays. I also feel that KL is better off with SPCA than without it, so I don't want to bash the organization. What's past is done. I brought up the adoption fee issue in reaction to the conversation I overheard, not because of my own experience. The thought of people seeing an adoption fee at SPCA and immediately thinking, "Hmmm, I'll go to a pet shop instead" just makes me crazy. If RM200-250 is what SPCA needs to collect to stay in business, well, I guess that's the way it is.

Either way, I thank you for your good heart and your devoted work!

Blessings,
Amanda
Thanks Amanda,

Please do not let anybody or anyone including SPCA to take advantage of you. Why did you just let it go. I believe, Ms Christine will not be happy if she gets to know about this matter.

Thanks for not not being a "Basher". I really appreciate that. Its very kind of you. Please let me know who was the person who gave you the wrong information, you may PM me and I will keep it to myself. I wouldn't like any of this nonsense to happen again. Its not good and gives every single reason for people to bash us.

You have every right to feel upset and state your mind to us. You are welcome to do so. I know past is past, but past could also happen in present. Please help us out to stop this instantly.

I will look out into the listing and redo the whole cost of the mentioned above. I give you my word.

Thank you Amanda for being straight forward and open in a cool way. I really appreciate it.

I am expecting a reply in my PM from you soon.

Thank you.

...TIGER IN MEMORY...
Old 05-07-2009, 11:58 PM
PetFinder Guru

Location: Seri Kembangan, Selangor (Yeah, we got free water!)
sillylupie is on a distinguished road

Hey Mrs.Dolittle, hubby and I was at SPCA last weekend to hand in some old clothes (I outgrown them!!) and electrical items.

Saw so many kittens, one in particular got me standing there for 5 minutes of so, wanting her so badly until my hubby smack me on the head and said, "Don't forget the kittens you've been feeding.... you got extra hand meh? " Hmmmm....

I hope all of the kittens, cats, dogs, puppies, rabbits get a second chance!

BTW, do you know if there's a link that I can download SPCA latest financial related statements?

sillylupie-shop
http://sillylupie-shop.blogspot.com
Old 05-08-2009, 12:13 AM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation

RM200-250 for adoption, the van sales those pure breed from Thailand dealer price more cheap than this! does this homeless animals offer attractive to public?

Quote:

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:52 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog is my buddy View Post
RM200-250 for adoption, the van sales those pure breed from Thailand dealer price more cheap than this! does this homeless animals offer attractive to public?
Hmmmm ... so many strays (many are pretty ex-household pets) in our country with no homes or and being killed everyday for being an evironmental nuisance and vans from Thailand are unloading new ones into eager Malaysian hands waving ringgits every day ... so very sad!

DIMB, FYI the puppies for sale stickers found everywhere along pavements, walls and tiangs (alongside all the Along stickers) give out handphone number and mentions www.kkdoggies.weebly.com.
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 05-09-2009, 11:05 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurKids View Post
Hmmmm ... so many strays (many are pretty ex-household pets) in our country with no homes or and being killed everyday for being an evironmental nuisance and vans from Thailand are unloading new ones into eager Malaysian hands waving ringgits every day ... so very sad!

DIMB, FYI the puppies for sale stickers found everywhere along pavements, walls and tiangs (alongside all the Along stickers) give out handphone number and mentions www.kkdoggies.weebly.com.
Furkids & DIMB

IF I WERE YOU TWO, I WOULD JUST STOP ALL THESE NONSENCE AND JUST DO YOUR PART OUT THERE.

I AM CHALLENGING YOU BOTH TO GO TO PULAU KETAM (PULAU SELAT KERING) AND EVEN COME TO SPCA AND GET AS MANY ADOPTERS FOR THE FORSAKEN ANIMALS IN THE SHELTERS...

MAN!!! GROW UP! WHAT THE F*** IS WRONG WITH YOU GUYS?

DO YOU THINK YOU ARE MAN ENOUGH TO BE LIKE US GIRLS IN SPCA AND VOLUNTEERS TO DO THE REAL THING?

ARE YOU GUYS WILLING TO TAKE MY CHALLENGE???

...TIGER IN MEMORY...

Last edited by mrsdolittle; 05-09-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:50 AM
PetFinder Wowwow

vivi is on a distinguished road

Dear all,
can we stop the fighting?
for past one to two month there is nothing going on but fighting and fighting from mouth to mouth.
If each and everyone of u did experience such and such thing from spca that u r not satisfy, u can write a complain letter or look for person yang berkaitan and ask for the answer.
Kak Num already did explain and try to settle things one by one, so why wanna to keep rising certain issue and keep rising example for her.
If really got problem, i'm sure she'll gladly try her best to clear the misundertanding.
Dimb and furkid, before Kak num work in spca in ampang even u two admire her and respect her but when she start work in spca, i've notice that she's been shoot and shoot many times.
her goal from the day we all know her until now i believe i still the same
' to save and give all strays a loving home'.
so issue 1
adoption fees are quite high for local strays.
kak num did mention she'll have a look and try to settle this problem.
issue 2
adoption fees paid but full vaccination or neutering/spaying not yet done.
Kak num also did mentioned she'll do her bet to settle.
y don u all give her a chance ler.
baru berapa lama dia sandang jawatan ini?
i don mean i fully respect and support spca but i believe and fully respect kak num's goal.

Kak Num,
I am the one usually do the talking also and seldom do such experience by myself but from the first day i know u, i believe u'll only do the best for those lovely animals.
I salute u!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-09-2009, 03:43 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivi View Post
I am the one usually do the talking also and seldom do such experience by myself but from the first day i know u, i believe u'll only do the best for those lovely animals.
I salute u!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, K.Anum is a genuine (and responsible) animal lover! :)

{{hugs}}

sillylupie-shop
Old 05-09-2009, 04:11 PM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation

My part is asking people don't adopt from this RM200 to 250 for adopt one dog. It is ridiculous price, this is selling animals, or adopt animal.

Quote:
Furkids & DIMB

IF I WERE YOU TWO, I WOULD JUST STOP ALL THESE NONSENCE AND JUST DO YOUR PART OUT THERE.

I AM CHALLENGING YOU BOTH TO GO TO PULAU KETAM (PULAU SELAT KERING) AND EVEN COME TO SPCA AND GET AS MANY ADOPTERS FOR THE FORSAKEN ANIMALS IN THE SHELTERS...

MAN!!! GROW UP! WHAT THE F*** IS WRONG WITH YOU GUYS?

DO YOU THINK YOU ARE MAN ENOUGH TO BE LIKE US GIRLS IN SPCA AND VOLUNTEERS TO DO THE REAL THING?

ARE YOU GUYS WILLING TO TAKE MY CHALLENGE???

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:09 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog is my buddy View Post
My part is asking people don't adopt from this RM200 to 250 for adopt one dog. It is ridiculous price, this is selling animals, or adopt animal.
DIMB & FK, Maneki raised the issue on adoption fees. Mrs. Dolittle responded professionally that she will look into it.
Please respect Mrs. Dolittle thread, all she wants is for more animals to find a loving home. Isn't that what we want too?

Mrs.Dolittle, you are doing a great job, god knows and that's enough! :)

sillylupie-shop
Old 05-09-2009, 08:09 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillylupie View Post
DIMB & FK, Maneki raised the issue on adoption fees. Mrs. Dolittle responded professionally that she will look into it.
:)
And she did look into it, I might add! I notice that one day after I raised the question, the adoption fees for SPCA cats listed on Petfinder dropped to RM150.

Now, we might still wonder if even that is a reasonable amount, but we should all remember that Mrs. Dolittle is not a paid member of the SPCA staff. This is not her decision to make. She is a volunteer who is giving her time and effort, doing heart-breaking work and still managing to address questions posed here. Why? It's not because she's devoted to SPCA, but because she wants to re-home more animals. I may still have some issues with the organization, but I truly respect the work that she, as an individual, is doing, and her presence can only improve SPCA.

No matter what frustrations we have with SPCA Selangor, the fact remains that it is still probably the #1 dumping ground for strays and pets, and I really admire this lady's efforts to get those animals out of there.