Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies

Dogs & Puppies General information and discussions on taking care of your canine buddy

Old 09-03-2008, 09:30 AM
Super Hyper Animal Lover

pinkpuppy is on a distinguished road
Post Do you understand dog's body language?

Dogs communicate using sounds and body movements, which sends signals to humans and other dogs. Here are some body language movements and their meanings.

Dog crouches but has its head close to the ground, rear in the air and front legs extended – This is a position or play bow most dog owners know well. It simply means the dog is ready and wants to play.

Stiff legged, slow movements or upright posture – Used by nt dogs, this stiff legged posture indicates authority, a challenge, and the dog’s willingness to defend its position.

Feet braced and body sloped somewhat forward – This tells another dog that it accepts the challenge and is prepared to fight if necessary.

Dog lays on side or back and shows underbelly – This is a submissive movement used to avoid a fight. This dog lets the pack leader know he is not a threat and accepts the leader. Your dog understands you are the ‘human leader of the pack’ when he lays on his back looking for a belly rub.

Places paw on other dogs’ back or head on their shoulder – Used by a dog that wants to be pack leader, a dog that is the pack leader or a nt dog, this gesture is to let others know who the leader is.

Mouthing – In dog/human interactions, a dog carrying the lead in its mouth while on a walk or taking its handlers or masters’ hand in its mouth is usually a serious indication of challenging authority. It means that the dog believes it is leader of the pack and not the human.

Paw on masters knee – There are many versions such as the dog sliding its head under the owners hand or pawing the air. These signs mean that the dog is seeking attention from its master and trying to get attention.

Hair bristles or stands up on shoulders and back – This is an anticipated aggression sign and definitely not good. When a ridge of hair stands up along the back, it signifies that the dog is angry. If the bristling is on its back and shoulders it means an attack is about to happen.

Front paw lifted slightly – This is a sign the dog is insecure, stressed, concerned or uneasy.

Rubs its back on the ground – The dog sometimes rubs its face and chest along the ground or uses it forepaw to rub his face from nose to eyes before rubbing his back on the ground. This body language means the dog is anticipating or has experienced a pleasant activity such as feeding or getting ready to eat.

Scraping the ground with its paws, ripping the grass or dirt – This often occurs after the dog goes to the bathroom. On the bottom of the dogs’ feet are scent glands with each scent unique to the animal. This is a way for the dog to let others know he was there.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:49 AM
PetFinder Guru

lynielime is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Do you understand dog's body language?

my darlings tony and spike do a couple of really really adorable things that i love. if i'm sitting on the floor with tony he'll lie down on his side and rub his head against my legs or hold onto my hand with his front paws. so sweet. depending on whether i'm sitting in a chair or on the floor, spike will rest his chin on my shoulder or on my knee and we'll look deeply into each others eyes . i can feel the love!! and i love my boys so much.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:16 AM
Animal Lover

Ferreted is an unknown quantity at this point

hehehe lynie.. my dog also liked to put his chin on my knee and looked into my eyes, exhaling deeply and close his eyes while i stroke him. hahaha like so enjoy. sobs.. i miss him so..

just by looking at him i know what he is thinking.. the eyes, ears; "what is that?", "i am scared, but i want your food", "yea yea, love me, yea" kind of sayings..

when he clang his bowl that means WATER! COLD WATER esp.

i miss him so..
Old 09-03-2008, 10:19 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferreted View Post
hehehe lynie.. my dog also liked to put his chin on my knee and looked into my eyes, exhaling deeply and close his eyes while i stroke him. hahaha like so enjoy. sobs.. i miss him so..

just by looking at him i know what he is thinking.. the eyes, ears; "what is that?", "i am scared, but i want your food", "yea yea, love me, yea" kind of sayings..

when he clang his bowl that means WATER! COLD WATER esp.

i miss him so..
oh no! where is your doggy now?
Old 09-06-2008, 12:40 PM
Animal Lover

my dog was dognapped.. gone already..
Old 09-06-2008, 06:09 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferreted View Post
my dog was dognapped.. gone already..
Oh no! I'm sorry i reminded you about that.
Old 09-07-2008, 02:46 AM
Animal Lover

meww...
Old 09-10-2008, 02:09 PM
Vivien Wuz Ere

Location: Earth - where every human beings have to live together with animals
vivienlpl is on a distinguished road

dogs are very intelligent and smart species

at times they understand human beings more than we understand each other

they are very loyal..you respect them..they will treat you very nice...

dogs will be my future companion