Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens

Cats & Kittens General information and discussions on taking care of your feline buddy

Old 09-13-2010, 12:03 AM
Animal Lover

putri_deww is on a distinguished road
Unhappy I've encounter some problem with my new adopted cats. Need some advice

Hello. I'm a newbie in taking care of cats. I just adopt two cute cats named Astro and Sophie from the Petfinder. I adopt both of them at once because the previous owner said they are better if get adopted together. Plus If I adopt only one car, I'm afraid that the cat will get bored if there's no one home. So far I encounter some problem which I hope some of the members here can help me with it.

1) Is it normal for cats to sleep all day and run like crazy inside the house at night?
2) Sophie keeps on making a deep meow-ing sound. I dont know what she wants. I was thinking that maybe she was hungry,but she isn't.
3) Sophie didn't react at all when I try to play with her. I tried every single toys that I found and bought from the store besides searching through the net. But she didn't respond to any.
4) Sophie only eats canned food. I put kibbles that she used to eat but she refuse. I already mix the kibbles with the canned food. She's very clever because she separate the dry and wet food. >so cute<
5) Astro eat the kibble bit by bit. He can't eat the kibbles at once. I tried give him more than an hour to eat all the kibbles. But he can't finish it all. He ate around 10-15 kibbles and left his bowl. About 30-45 minutes later, he ate the same amount. It keeps on repeating until the bowl is empty. I left the food there because I'm afraid that Sophie will get hungry. But it was Astro who finish it.

That's all about them that I am very confuse. What very cute about Sophie is she always wake me up in the morning by 'scratching' my tummy. Luckily her nails already get cut. Thank you all for the help
Old 09-13-2010, 09:12 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I've encounter some problem with my new adopted cats. Need some advice

Putri_deww, first of all, you must always say how old your cats/kittens are because age is a very,very important piece of information in order to understand your cats/kittens behaviour and needs. So, how old are they?

Regarding your cats/kittens eating behaviour, please specify the name of the kibbles you are giving to them i.e. the brand and type of food (example, Royal Canin Babycat 34 for kittens aged 1-4 months old, Royal Canin Kitten 32 for kittens aged 4-12 months, or Royal Canin Fit32 for Adult Cats, etc).

Healthy cats/kittens normally eat sparingly at a time (about 10gms - 40-50 kibbles) but frequently the way Astro is doing (but 15 kibbles shows that he does not like the kibbles you bought very much but eats because he is hungry) because cats have a small stomach. Kibbles must be fresh and stored airtight all the time because like humans, no one likes to eat "biskut yg telah masuk angin or lemau". Never buy the repacked kibbles from petshops even though they are sold cheaper because these are substandard items. Many are actually spoiled food from larger packs which have been accidentally torn and contaminated with worms and fungus due to exposure caused by poor handling and storage.

Yes, cats and kittens can sleep during the day and wide awake at night because basically they are nocturnal creatures i.e. they sleep by day and go hunting by night. That is why when you go jalan-jalan in the evening, you see many strays roaming for food. Those that you see roaming in the daytime are really, really kesian because this means that they have not been able to get enough to eat at night and are forced to roam even in the daytime. These strays are extremely hungry.

But you can slowly change your cats/kittens schedule to rest more at night and be more active during the day so that you can enjoy cuddling them. But if the cat/kitten sleeps too much and refuses to get up even if you coax it with food or attention, it is a very good sign that your cat/kitten is not well and needs to be taken to a vet.

I like cats/kittens which can run like crazy, knocking everything over because it is a sign that the cats are healthy and happy. Sick cats are inactive.

Sophie's lack of interest in toys and crying may simply mean that she is the type who is more interested in you petting and massaging her. But you mention her disinterest in food so that could mean she is hungry, but choosy about her food. You will just have to try to find out what she likes to eat because most cats are very finicky eaters, i.e. they like to eat the same food and do not like change because cats have a very sensitif digestive system (something many cat owners are not sensitive about).

One good food to offer them is daging daga ayam rebus/kukus minus any flavorings and without salt. Do not overcook till the meat is tasteless and tough, lightly steam/boil it in very little water so that the gravy is sweet. The meat should be soft with light pink juice in it like a piece of steak cooked rare.

If the previous owner asked you to adopt them together, then Astro and Sophie must be less than 1 year old, most likely even less than 6 months old, am I right? In this case you should be giving them RC Babycat 34 for kittens aged 1-4 months old or RC Kittens 32 for kittens 4-12 months old. If you do this, Astro and Sophie will definitely eat better and you will see the transformation in their health, especially the beauty of their fur coat.

If you can afford it, Innova Evo is very good. But if you cannot afford it or RC, you can give them Blackwood kitten kibbles instead. The quality of Blackwood kitten is quite good, the kibbles soft for the kittens' teeth and you can share out and buy from Felix The Cat's monthly order at a very, very good price.

Good luck!
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 09-13-2010, 11:53 PM
Animal Lover

Default Re: I've encounter some problem with my new adopted cats. Need some advice

Well they don't have exact D.O.B. but they are approximately two years old. The previous owner told me that Sophie is really lazy and the cats just play some pelik toys. For example crumpling the newspaper and throw it to them. She said it'll work. But I did that to the cats, the cats just look, then ignore the crumpled paper. The previous owner also said they eat Royal Canin Indoor 27 for kibbles and Whiskas Tuna for canned food. They really enjoys the canned food, but not the kibbles. Yes I heard before about Felix the Cat who sell Blackwood. I dont mind spending some money for the cats as long as they are happy living in their new home.Thanks for all your advice. Tomorrow I'll try to find the Innova Evo like what you suggest there. And maybe few other kibbles so that I will not go back and forth to the petstore for many times. Thanks a lot
Old 09-14-2010, 08:36 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by putri_deww View Post
Tomorrow I'll try to find the Innova Evo like what you suggest there. And maybe few other kibbles so that I will not go back and forth to the petstore for many times. Thanks a lot
Do not get a few other kibbles, just Innova Evo. I have a feeling you can afford the Innova Evo for your two cats, they are grain-free and your cats will be much healthier in the long run and lower risk for diabetes. The cats will eat less on Innova Evo too because the kibbles are packed and not filled with useless grain fillers to add bulk to the food making it look more. Your cats may not like the kibbles in the beginning, but keep giving them about 40 kibbles at a time and feed them only 2-3 times a day. Do not offer free-flow kibbles.

You must not switch kibbles like that because your cats will end up with soft watery poo or diarrhea. You see, cats have a very delicate digestive system and the dry foods use different components to make the cat poo emerge in the right consistency and these additives really upsets the cat digestive system when the components (in the food) keeps changing. That is why at the back of every pack of dry food the instructions are to introduce the new kibbles in very small portions combined with the previous kibbles for a period, adding a bit more after a week or so. But it is done slowly for the digestive system to adjust.

Nothing wrong with crumpled paper as a toy compared with the store goods. I'd say the store goods which look pretty are actually more for the humans. Cats are very imaginative and they go for a lot of different toys. But your cats are 2-year olds. Most 2-year old are more settled although there are some that are still playful and active like some of my cats. But these cats are those that have been playful and active as kittens. Even some kittens are so badly developed mentally that they do not play that much.

Please Google to find out as much about cats now that you are a cat owner. You will learn a lot to understand actual cat needs and behaviour and be a responsible cat owner. You will also reap much joy and satisfaction from your cats.
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 10-09-2010, 09:10 PM
Animal Lover

I've been giving the Enova Evo for a while to them. But they keep on refusing to eat it. I already mix it with their old brand cat food which was Royal Canin Fit 32. Still they don't want to eat it. Make it worse, Sophie refuse to eat kibbles at all now. If I mix the kibbles with the wet food, she won't eat it. She only eat when I give her 100% wet food. I went to vet but the vet said that Sophie's herself who's choosy in eating her food. She have no problems with her teeth nor her gums..

confused...