Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Latest News & Happenings > Announcements, Notices and Contests

Announcements, Notices and Contests General announcements, latest developments at PetFinder.my and contests with cool prizes!

Old 01-20-2009, 02:51 AM
Founder, PetFinder.my

AndyKoh has disabled reputation
Thumbs up Central Microchip Database Launched

Dear Members,

PetFinder has officially launched its Central Microchip Database, providing access to the largest database of microchipped animals in Malaysia!

To access it, click on the "Microchip" tab at the top navigation bar.

This service serves a number of purposes:
1) To encourage the practice of microchipping in animals
2) To facilitate the ease of locating rightful owners of lost animals
3) To provide assistance in resolving disputes of animal ownership

Why Is A Central Database So Important?
There is currently no proper central database for microchipped animals, and this makes microchipping impractical as it is extremely difficult to locate your lost pets even if you have microchipped it. Even if a vet scanned and located the animal's microchip number, he has no proper central source to query for information of the owner. With our central database, PetFinder now provides the primary solution for agencies, vets, and independent rescuers alike to effectively trace owners of lost, kidnapped and deceased animals. We all understand how deeply attached owners are to their pets, and it is our desire to help provide a better service to help these people locate their lost pets during such unfortunate events.

Adding Your Pet's Microchip Number to PetFinder
You will first need to sign up at PetFinder as a member. Once done, you can proceed to create a Pet Profile where you can fill in the Microchip information. For existing members, please login and proceed to the Manage My Pets page to edit your relevant pet profile. If you are a vet, animal shelter or rescue group that wishes to import your existing list of Microchip profiles, please contact us for further assistance.

How Can I Help?
You can play an important role in helping us grow and improve this database. The more microchip profiles we have, the more effective it would be to locate pets based on the microchip number. You can help by approaching your vet, neighbour or friends and requesting them to create pet profiles in PetFinder.my with the relevant microchip numbers. For vets/agencies, we also have a simple process to easily import in their existing microchip profiles, saving them time from individually creating dozens of pet profiles for each of the clients that they have microchipped.

Please feel free to get in touch with me should you have any questions or suggestions.

Last edited by AndyKoh; 01-20-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:17 AM
PetFinder Guru

cookie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Central Microchip Database Launched

Andy, this is excellent.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:49 PM
PetFinder Guru

acsyen is on a distinguished road

Well let's say my rescued dogs have microchip and I rehome it. Do I have to update new owner's contacts? Also what if the person that is registering is not the actual owner? How about the owner that has rehomed their pets did not update the ownership status?
Old 01-20-2009, 03:04 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

Hi Yen,

The database is provided on a best-effort basis. In the event that you rehome a microchipped pet, you can either update the information within your own pet profile, or have the new owner join petfinder and create a pet profile with the relevant info.

When a search is conducted for that microchip number and both yours and the new owner's entries exist, then both results will be returned sorted by the newest date. This allows the person seeking information to locate multiple contacts down the chain of people that have managed this pet and increases the likelihood of locating the owner.

You can test it out by submitting microchip numbers for your pets, then conducting a search at our database for them.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:12 PM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation

ANdy,
why you so genius! The first Malaysia cat and dog have Central Microchip Database system. May I try my IC?

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:24 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

Haha, Clement, you are welcomed to create a pet profile for yourself and enter your IC number there, so the police can look you up in our database if you do something naughty
Old 01-20-2009, 03:36 PM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation

ANdy,
That Central Microchip Database system is useful, I would like asking malaysia best selling Pets Magazine have a interview and petfinder.my. Later I check with editor.
by the way would you might asking SPCA and PAW update the perfinder.my link from their web page. Or have a banner over there? someone asked me why cannot see petfinder.my at their web page?

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:44 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKoh View Post
Haha, Clement, you are welcomed to create a pet profile for yourself and enter your IC number there, so the police can look you up in our database if you do something naughty