Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens > Health, Disease & Diet

Health, Disease & Diet Find out the best tips and practices on managing your cat's diet, health care, and issues with diseases from our community of animal lovers

Old 10-28-2008, 02:38 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Feeding My Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleywong View Post
Hi

is it normal for a little kitten to not focused on feeding, i.e. they run around playing chasing anything but eat the food you hold out to them?

i wonder my little sebastien is so unfocussed? hmm, i tried leaving him with his food in a carrier cage (no stimuli) but he cried so much i had to take him out.

my sis and i remarked that it is like feeding a 3-5 year old kid - you hold out a spoonful of food and the said toddler just toodle here and there while you go around chasing the toddler!
No, it is not normal. Unless he is not fine and healthy, it is the food. What are you feeding him? The food might have gone off.

Example, for all the claims of goodness about Acana, my cats and even the strays turn up their nose. I strongly suspect it is the poor handling and storage during shipping and transportation which turned the otherwise good food rancid. I have tasted several types I bought: Normal kitten and adult packs, the light pack, even the huge breeder bag supposedly packed in Canada as claimed and not repacked locally like another brand ... don't taste or smell like freshly fried kropok!
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies

Last edited by FurKids; 10-28-2008 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:02 PM
Banned

ashleywong is on a distinguished road

you're right about the smell - but it is due

1) to the weather
2) near to expiry date (anything with about 6-8 months close to expiry date

i've noticed this and corresponded with the manufacturers as well - they have not received any similar complaints from any of their customers except msia - and they're now looking into this - in the meantime, they advised me to store the food in the fridge. also the local distributor said they'll replace any bag of food bought that is rancid or smell rancid upon opening.

but to save myself the trouble :

i only buy bags with at least 1 year to expiry date (each bag of food has about 2 years to expiry from MOF). even with such long expiry date, the moment i expose it to our weather here (like putting it out for the whole day), the smell appears quite quickly. what i do is 1)store everything in my fridge, even the unused portion as the bag is not resealable 2) feed smaller portion

other alternative is to make their food myself - but currently that option is out as my working hours are from 7.30am in the morning till 6.30pm or 7pm in the evening - they eat kibble and i eat out - cooking is really out for the time being.

back to my kitten,
well, the little tyke is eating, he likes the food but he is so curious and keen to explore that he'll move around frequently. i'll go chasing after him to feed him or have to restrain him gently. feeding him diluted AD based on vet advised - it's a temporary food for him - he's weaned at 5 weeks old three or four weeks ago - he's like 8 weeks now but quite small for his age - but most of the kibbles are too big for his teeth and if mixed it up with either KRM or water to soften it, the mixture dry up during the day.

my concern is that i can only feed him by hand twice a day - morning before i leave for work and evening when i return. no one else in the house as we are all working full-time and no maid (can't afford that luxury). i have left food out for him, softened kibble as well as whole kibble and these are untouched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurKids View Post
Example, for all the claims of goodness about Acana, my cats and even the strays turn up their nose. I strongly suspect it is the poor handling and storage during shipping and transportation which turned the otherwise good food rancid. I have tasted several types I bought: Normal kitten and adult packs, the light pack, even the huge breeder bag supposedly packed in Canada as claimed and not repacked locally like another brand ... don't taste or smell like freshly fried kropok!
Old 10-29-2008, 11:57 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road

Quote:
well, the little tyke is eating, he likes the food but he is so curious and keen to explore that he'll move around frequently. i'll go chasing after him to feed him or have to restrain him gently. feeding him diluted AD based on vet advised - it's a temporary food for him - he's weaned at 5 weeks old three or four weeks ago - he's like 8 weeks now but quite small for his age - but most of the kibbles are too big for his teeth and if mixed it up with either KRM or water to soften it, the mixture dry up during the day.

my concern is that i can only feed him by hand twice a day - morning before i leave for work and evening when i return.
For the little one's sake and considering the circumstances, I think you should give him Royal Canin Babycat instead, regardless of what you personally feel about the brand or another brand.

Also, do not add water to the kibbles (no need to anyway, the kibbles are very small, just nice for their soft milk teeth), it makes the kibbles go off faster in the hot humid environment.
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 10-29-2008, 02:41 PM
Banned

trust me i'm mulling the RC baby 34 option. i'm not so egoistically blind as to impose my own beliefs on my cats if it's not appropriate - if i'm vegetarian i won't impose a vegeterian diet on them as cats are obligate carnivore.

thanks for the options, advice and tips, bringing up kittens below 3 months of age are really new to me. this is my first with a 8 week kitten. little miu2 was immediatley rehome when he was rescued so i guess my little tyke is my first experience. he's so cute and so curious and yet so 'adult-like" in his gaze
Old 10-29-2008, 05:07 PM
Kucing Garong

Bareen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Bareen Send a message via Yahoo to Bareen Send a message via Skype™ to Bareen

This 2 month old kitty would take anything that being offered, RC Baby, Acana Kitten, Orijen, Sanabelle Kitten but his favourite is my homemade steam-blended chicken recipe.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:22 PM
PetFinder Guru

filinlee is on a distinguished road

gemok ler... ehehe... best tol tengok dia makan.. ko nak tau bareen.. anak2 kucen aku kurungkan.. ehehe,.. siap tutup ngn selimut cage tuh kalo x bising jer... cumer x pasti diorang makan atau tidak...

si junior selsema teruk la.. cam ner eh? doktor pon x berani nak bagi ubat.. pasal dia kecik lagi... idung mata sumer berair... any ideas, bareen?
Old 10-29-2008, 05:36 PM
Kucing Garong

Send a message via MSN to Bareen Send a message via Yahoo to Bareen Send a message via Skype™ to Bareen

Quote:
Originally Posted by filinlee View Post
gemok ler... ehehe... best tol tengok dia makan.. ko nak tau bareen.. anak2 kucen aku kurungkan.. ehehe,.. siap tutup ngn selimut cage tuh kalo x bising jer... cumer x pasti diorang makan atau tidak...

si junior selsema teruk la.. cam ner eh? doktor pon x berani nak bagi ubat.. pasal dia kecik lagi... idung mata sumer berair... any ideas, bareen?
Part selsema nih aku terus terang cakap tak pernah lagi aku handle. Ko cuba lap ngan tuala suam mata dan hidung dia buat masa nih supaya tak berkerak dan tersumbat.
Tak berani aku nak rekomen apa-apa....
Old 10-29-2008, 05:50 PM
Banned

Hi bareen

thanks for sharing. she , i assume it is a "she", looks so adorable and healthy. i like her gaze. cats/kittens that will accept any food you give is easy to take care of in a way, at least no more headache when the cat/kitten refuse food.

i do agree with you homemade food (with as much as needed ingredients as possible) is still the best. that's the best - homecooked food mah - what to do - my time is already "mortgaged" to my employer so my furkids will need to make do with commercially prepared food for the time being.

but having learned the useful tips from you, i can see the plus points in homecooked food for furkids..maybe sebastien can benefit from this? hmm, let me mull this over...

err, didn't mean to sound "blur" but how long do you usually store the home made food? can they last for a week? do you feed multi-vit too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bareen View Post

This 2 month old kitty would take anything that being offered, RC Baby, Acana Kitten, Orijen, Sanabelle Kitten but his favourite is my homemade steam-blended chicken recipe.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:21 PM
Kucing Garong

Quote:
Hi bareen

thanks for sharing. she , i assume it is a "she", looks so adorable and healthy. i like her gaze. cats/kittens that will accept any food you give is easy to take care of in a way, at least no more headache when the cat/kitten refuse food.

i do agree with you homemade food (with as much as needed ingredients as possible) is still the best. that's the best - homecooked food mah - what to do - my time is already "mortgaged" to my employer so my furkids will need to make do with commercially prepared food for the time being.

but having learned the useful tips from you, i can see the plus points in homecooked food for furkids..maybe sebastien can benefit from this? hmm, let me mull this over...

err, didn't mean to sound "blur" but how long do you usually store the home made food? can they last for a week? do you feed multi-vit too?

It a he not a she and so do I, a he too

The homemade food can be frozen. When needed, just thaw it a day or two before serving. It can be kept a month when frozen. I kept a few container frozen. I had process 5 container last Sunday and I am on the second one now with 1/2 gone.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:27 PM
Animal Lover

catz is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Feeding My Kittens

Dear, Bareen and Ashleywong..hi,how r u, guys? its been long time..sorry, i've been busy lately..i am college student and there has been many assignment coming. oso i need to start on my dissertation now..

Dear Bareen, ur catz r so cute..white is beautifull... can trained her to potty at her age?

Dear Ashleywong, I got asked about the frontline and advantage and they said got sell the 'frontline duo' that act as frontline and advantage to kill the mites and its egg. do u think I should use which one?

The kitten is healthy and know started to walk ald..so happy ..
Thanks to you guys..
Old 10-30-2008, 12:21 PM
Kucing Garong

Quote:
Originally Posted by catz View Post
Dear Bareen, ur catz r so cute..white is beautifull... can trained her to potty at her age?

The kitten is healthy and know started to walk ald..so happy ..
Thanks to you guys..
I didnt trained my kitties in using litterbox. Their mum does the training. In your case, you need to train your kitten to use the litterbox. Jusr put some of it own urine scent into the box, for instance, place used old towel in the litterbox and let it pee pee and poo poo there. At this stage do not use littersand. it might eat the sand and this can cause dead. Once it familiar with food, then you can start using cat litter.

Good to hear, your kitten start to walk. Good job!!
Old 11-02-2008, 12:09 AM
PetFinder Guru

Location: Seri Kembangan, Selangor (Yeah, we got free water!)
sillylupie is on a distinguished road

Bareen, the cubes that little kitty is eating, is it homemade??
Looks delicious... I am hungry now....

sillylupie-shop
http://sillylupie-shop.blogspot.com
Old 11-02-2008, 02:11 AM
Kucing Garong

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillylupie View Post
Bareen, the cubes that little kitty is eating, is it homemade??
Looks delicious... I am hungry now....
Yes that's my homemade cat food recipe alrite
Old 11-02-2008, 07:12 PM
LeenMaF|a

Lyn_Cat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bareen View Post
Yes that's my homemade cat food recipe alrite
terer laa bareen ..semua homemade.. cat litter homemade.. mkn kucing pun homemade.. bertuah lah kucing ko tuh... anyway camne resepi tu? memula blend isi ayam.. pastu steam? camtu ker..?
Old 11-02-2008, 08:22 PM
Kucing Garong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn_Cat View Post
terer laa bareen ..semua homemade.. cat litter homemade.. mkn kucing pun homemade.. bertuah lah kucing ko tuh... anyway camne resepi tu? memula blend isi ayam.. pastu steam? camtu ker..?
Stim dulu baru blend. Masa stim tu, letak dalam loyang supaya lemak dan juice ayam tu bertakung. Gunakan juice dan lemak ni masa blending supaya senang blender menghancur tulang ayam tu. Kalau guna dada ayam, daging tanpa tulang, sama jugak, lagi senang blending tanpa tulang.

Aku guna leher ayam sebab tulang dia lembut. Tulang belakang ayam banyak sum-sum dan ada organ-organ lain yang masih intact tapi ada bahagian tulang rusuk tu yang keras dan kena dibuang. Kalau blend tu kena blend asing-asing bahagian ayam sebab kalau campur semua, tulang tak hancur dengan elok. Tapi dada ayam seeloknya tak yah blen, stim dan potong jadi kiub-kiub kecil dan campur dalam leher dan tulang yang dah diblend untuk bagi texture pada resepi nih.

Dah diblend tuang dalam bekas dan dingin bekukan. Biarkan keras. Kondensi air pada penutup bekas kena dibuang. Bila dah keras, pindah dari petak ais ke bawah petisejuk. Dia akan jadi cam agar-agar keras. Serve pada suhu bilik. Kucing aku suka yang sejuk-sejuk baru kuar dari petisejuk. Kalau dah lama kat luar, lambat sikit dia nak makan.

Kalau nak buat yang raw, kena guna pengisar/grinder. Blender kena guna air sebab tu kena stim dulu.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:59 PM
Animal Lover

Dear, Ashleywong...

How is ur kitten recently? is he(she?) alrite?

thx to you, my kitten is doing good these days..her has grown teeth, she has started to run and clean herself.
Thought maybe you might be busy these days..
so, Thankyou for all the help you have given me....
Hope your kitten will be well soon..

regards,
Catz.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:04 PM
Animal Lover

Dear Bareen,

wow..u r really expert in catz!
thanks to you, the cat is now doing good. thanks for the complimentary.. i am trying to train to pee pee and poo poo herself..but still no progress yet. think, I have to be patient. ha3..
again, thanks for all your help..hope your kitten will be happy always..

regards,
catz.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:25 PM
Banned

Hi Catz

hi thanks for the good thoughts and good wishes - that might be the reason my ankle is healing - recurrence of old injury - and yes busy cos it's year end already.

my little kitten is okay. i followed with vet visits and confirmed he is hale and hearty. he has a full set of sharp kitty teeth and he knows how to fuss. i guess i need to teach him how to be a "cat" from scratch - like it is okay for him to eat on his own instead of me feeding him using a spoon

after mulling my options, i'm deciding to feed my kitten the food i current feed my other cats as they're all doing so well on them. Not going with RC (inappropriate ingredient as well as their cruel testing on animal track record). as for my kitten, since his is behavioral in nature, (and not due to poor health or sickness issue) i've decided to continue feeding him his kibble but soaked and mashed. my, i didn't know that when the kibble is soaked, and mashed up,it has the consistency of minced meat! wow! and guess what? he is eating on his own - but only if i'm around. problem half solved - some effort needed.

well, you don't have to worry - see your kitten is doing well, and even learning to groom itself - amazing right? a miniature version of the adult cat - well almost.

don't worry about the poo2 and pee2 part. as long as you put some pan beneath the cage, it should be okay to catch any "droppings" and make clean-up easier for you. sooner or later that kitten will know how to use a litter box. from what i've been told, advised and read up, it seems the cat has instinct on how to do their "business" as long as you give them a medium/material they like or don't mind using. for a kitten, all you need to do (if it is above like 4 weeks of age), put them into the litter box a short while after feeding, paw / dig at the litter using your hand to show the kitten- they will get it sooner or later. (that's what i did with my own cats when they were around 6 months old and it worked although initially they played in it and ate it).

for kittens younger than 4 weeks of age, (info and knowledge courtesy of lynie), you need to "stimulate" passing of motion by wiping gently their rectum with a damp cloth or tissue.

my apologies if this has already been mentioned here. just a rehash then.

if you're concerned about clumping litter for kitten, why not try bareen's instructions for self DIY for recyclable litter material? it does take some effort (the source is shredded paper from your office ). she has a thread on this, be sure to check it out. alternative is to shell out some dough for some commercially prepared version. and there's also the non-clumping version. up to you for your choice.

it sure does feel good isn't it, and also a good dose of relief to see your kitten getting on well, growing up healthy, learning to be cat - it makes you feel relief to know at least up to this point - you're doing all right as a cat parent ,

Quote:
Dear, Ashleywong...

How is ur kitten recently? is he(she?) alrite?

thx to you, my kitten is doing good these days..her has grown teeth, she has started to run and clean herself.
Thought maybe you might be busy these days..
so, Thankyou for all the help you have given me....
Hope your kitten will be well soon..

regards,
Catz.

Last edited by ashleywong; 11-04-2008 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:14 PM
Kucing Garong

Quote:
Dear Bareen,

wow..u r really expert in catz!
thanks to you, the cat is now doing good. thanks for the complimentary.. i am trying to train to pee pee and poo poo herself..but still no progress yet. think, I have to be patient. ha3..
again, thanks for all your help..hope your kitten will be happy always..

regards,
catz.
Dear catz,

Good to hear your kitten is doing great!!
Maybe you can post the pic for us to see...
Old 11-05-2008, 10:55 PM
Animal Lover

Dear Ashleywong,

Thx for the compliment .. it's a relief too tht your kitten is doing well . It must have been hard to balance between work and caring for your kitten..you are so kind to reply me with the long message. THANKYOU.

I am thinking to let other people adopt her when she can eat on her own ..hu hu..so sad..coz, I am a foreign. I will be graduating in one year time and maybe by tht time I can't keep her anymore. ..I love her so much though..really want to watch her grow..

k, hope you and your kitten may have tight relationship...