Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Pet Welfare, Rescue & Adoption > General Discussion

General Discussion General information and discuss on animal rescue, adoption and advocacy

Old 07-23-2008, 05:27 PM
PetFinder Buddy

RoyBlue is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Abuse of PetFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKoh View Post
I think the key to reduction of strays is in properly educating pet owners, as well as the pet shops that sell these pets.

Stopping people from buying pets is not going to work - there will always be such a demand for various reasons, and it is much better for us to provide support for the genuine, humane ones rather than to let the underground ones and black sheeps proliferate.

We can liken the scenario to comparing the effectiveness of abstinence vs using contraception in humans. Abstinence will not work on most people whether we choose to believe it or not, and the most important thing is to sufficiently educate the people so that they have proper knowledge on how to prevent unwanted pregnancies (short of neutering and spaying each other).

That is why we have to build PetFinder into a portal that caters to the entire pet loving community - only with a broad outreach can we effectively disseminate information on how to manage pets, prevent strays, animal abuses etc.

I think the best way is for us to observe the results and see how things go. This is a learning process for all of us, and with more supporting statistics and responses down the road, we can always optimize and improve on PetFinder, to ensure that our missions and noble goals are met.
Well Put Andy, This is all still very new and there are definitely a few kinks here and there to work out. It's all about trial and error. With a positive attitude we can achieve great things so let's give Petfinder our full support!!!
Old 07-24-2008, 04:46 AM
CEO, EzerNET

Ezer has disabled reputation
Default Re: Abuse of PetFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBlue View Post
Well Put Andy, This is all still very new and there are definitely a few kinks here and there to work out. It's all about trial and error. With a positive attitude we can achieve great things so let's give Petfinder our full support!!!
Dats rite, buddy! It's always trial and error and at PetFinder, we'll change fast to provide all the tools necessary to stamp out cruelty to animals and find as many homes for strays as possible and also to educate the public so that in general, people can learn to be more loving of our cousins, ie, the animal kingdom...
Old 08-25-2008, 03:35 PM
PetFinder Buddy

moggies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Abuse of PETFINDER

if it's reasonable, i'd say imposing adoption fee is a good idea to keep off irresponsible adopters. by irresponsible i mean
1. not being able to feed the adopted pet proper healthy food
2. not being able to provide proper medical care when the adopted pet needed one, and
3. not being able to provide the bare necessities for the adopted pet.

as rescuers, we want the pets we rescued to be in better homes and most importantly, well taken care of by their new owners. i don't impose adoption fees for the pets i've rescued and i've come across people who are interested to adopt but became very hesitant when told they have to get certain stuff necessary to care for the pet. this is certainly a red alert - an obvious sign of how (non)committed they are going to be in the future.
and sad to say, but it's true, free things, in a lot of cases, are always taken for granted.
so yeah, the adopter willingness to impart a small amount of money as adoption fee can be a prerequisite.

the thing with spca & paws, the fee imposed is already very very reasonable. i know because i've adopted 2 cats from spca. the fee imposed actually covered vaccination & spaying/neutering which would cost a lot more in a private clinic. plus, you can ask for tax rebate. why the need for discount? these charity bodies are not churning out money by imposing those fees laaa. they need it to help other animals under their care. and if we, the animal lovers fail to understand that, then who would, kan?

as for the abuse of petfinder.my, i'd say just report any misleading listings and blacklist the wrongdoers!

www.moggiesplace.blogspot.com

Last edited by moggies; 08-25-2008 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:52 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by moggies View Post
if it's reasonable, i'd say imposing adoption fee is a good idea to keep off irresponsible adopters. by irresponsible i mean
1. not being able to feed the adopted pet proper healthy food
2. not being able to provide proper medical care when the adopted pet needed one, and
3. not being able to provide the bare necessities for the adopted pet.

as rescuers, we want the pets we rescued to be in better homes and most importantly, well taken care of by their new owners. i don't impose adoption fees for the pets i've rescued and i've come across people who are interested to adopt but became very hesitant when told they have to get certain stuff necessary to care for the pet. this is certainly a red alert - an obvious sign of how (non)committed they are going to be in the future.
and sad to say, but it's true, free things, in a lot of cases, are always taken for granted.
so yeah, the adopter willingness to impart a small amount of money as adoption fee can be a prerequisite.

the thing with spca & paws, the fee imposed is already very very reasonable. i know because i've adopted 2 cats from spca. the fee imposed actually covered vaccination & spaying/neutering which would cost a lot more in a private clinic. plus, you can ask for tax rebate. why the need for discount? these charity bodies are not churning out money by imposing those fees laaa. they need it to help other animals under their care. and if we, the animal lovers fail to understand that, then who would, kan?
Totally agree with you, Moggie. If someone is not willing to pay for the adoption fee, then this person may not be committed to giving the pet he/she rescued the best he/she can.

Bina, another forum member, once put up a cat for adoption. The person interested wanted to know if it comes free together with cage, litter and food!! The person was not interested when she found that the cat is free but does not come with cage, litter and food. This is a red alert. If you're not willing to buy a cage, litter and food to begin with, how could you be willing to pay for its needs later on?

If possible, I think there should be a requirement where someone from the shelter home visits the adopter's home once a week for the first few months to check on how the adopter is caring for the pet. If the adopter is not doing what is right, and refuses to take the advise of then the shelter home should reserve the right to take back the pet.

I know this sounds drastic, but I can't think of how else to ensure that the strays go to a loving home.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:57 PM
PetFinder Guru

lynielime is on a distinguished road

i totally agree with you guys about the adoption fee thing. once i have chosen the adopter after asking them lots of questions, the last step is to have them meet me at my vet. they must then accompany me and the pet for medical consultation and vaccination. at the end, they must pay for it. i feel much more secure about the adoptions after this.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:18 PM
PetFinder Guru

lynielime is on a distinguished road

check out the following websites for guides on how to screen potential adopters. there are lists of questions we should be asking people to find out what kind of caregivers they are.

http://www.bestfriends.org/archives/...5adopters.html

http://www.petfinder.com/journal/ind...=1&article=704
Old 08-25-2008, 04:28 PM
PetFinder Guru

Location: Seri Kembangan, Selangor (Yeah, we got free water!)
sillylupie is on a distinguished road

That's why, I normally insist that adopter brings a proper cat carrier and not a BOX!! :) To me, it is an indication that he/she is serious ....

sillylupie-shop
http://sillylupie-shop.blogspot.com
Old 08-25-2008, 04:51 PM
PetFinder Buddy

moggies is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillylupie View Post
That's why, I normally insist that adopter brings a proper cat carrier and not a BOX!! :) To me, it is an indication that he/she is serious ....
good idea! might borrow that tactic in the future.

by the way, petfinder.my, thanks for doing what you do.

www.moggiesplace.blogspot.com
Old 08-25-2008, 04:57 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Great idea, Bina! If he/she can't even be bothered to own a cat carrier, that gives out a red alert!
Old 08-25-2008, 05:36 PM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road
Default Abuse of PETFINDER

Good idea Bina.I might want to do that too when I want to give the kitten up for adoption. (do you remember the chocolate kitten with pretty hot mama)

Quote:
Old 09-17-2008, 05:19 PM
Banned

ashleywong is on a distinguished road

hi all

i like this thread as it provides a venue for those with experience to share the knowledge with those of us who are still green around the ears :-)

but i can't help but have reservation about having "pet sellers" advertising on petfinder.my, i do understand the rationale about this but my concern is (and this is also food for thought, not just mere criticism)

1) That we're not sending a strong enough message to create awareness that adoption is good and adoption should be given priority. Of we can't totally control people's action in the end but what we can do is spread awareness and the importance is to ensure consistency of message, stance and principle. if we can help to create awareness in a person's mind that make he/she sit up and think further should he/she buy or adopt, then half the battle is won. (the other is to instill and inculcate love and respect for animals in our future - our children and young teens).

2) Petfinder.my do not have (correct me if i'm wrong) any procedures nor resources to vet through those pet sellers that wishes to advertise through petfinder.my to ensure that these pet sellers have in place written statemetns on their policies and practices that meets or exceeds international guidelines for animal breederies (or kennels or catteries where applicable) and consistently ensure they comply with these guidelines.

in this instance, petfinder.my cannot claim that if it allows all and sundry pet sellers to advertise through pet sellers, petfinder.my is helping to instill and inculcate awareness on the need to respect animals and love of animals.

there may be rogue vendors who are just capitalising on the good name and the good effort of the volunteers (the denizens) of petfinder.my to further their business without contributing anything in return.

think about it - what message we want to send out, and is it consistent with our stand and principle?

food for thought.