Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies > Training & Behavioral Issues

Training & Behavioral Issues Does your dog have an attitude, or just simply refuses to listen to you? Share it with your peers here and learn more about a cat's behavior and training methods

Old 03-02-2009, 04:36 PM
Animal Lover

Jennes.C is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Urgent! Help my dog to change its bad behaviours

Is there any advise in solving my dog's bad behavoiurs? i owned a dog which is more than 1 years. He has many bad behavoiurs. He always chased after people and those who is riding motocycles. It's quite dangerous and he may tend to bite people. Besides, he has biten chickens owned by my neighbour in my neighbourhood area many times. For your information, he can move in and out of my house freely and he can still open the gate even though the gate is already closed. I can only prevent him to out out by chaining him (which i dislikes) or tieing a rope around the gate so that he cannot open the gate. So can anyone recommend any solutions? is it sending him to attend obedience class the best solution? However, i am from Kuching, Sarawak and i don't know any obedience classes are offered here. Thanks.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:44 PM
Animal Lover

Ferreted is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Urgent! Help my dog to change its bad behaviours

ahh.. mikeeeett wheree areeee youuuuu?? answerrrr thiiiissss...
Old 03-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation

Wah, he likes live chickens, and raw, too!

sorry, i know nothing about dogs. but perhaps our dog experts will come online soon to help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennes.C View Post
Is there any advise in solving my dog's bad behavoiurs? i owned a dog which is more than 1 years. He has many bad behavoiurs. He always chased after people and those who is riding motocycles. It's quite dangerous and he may tend to bite people. Besides, he has biten chickens owned by my neighbour in my neighbourhood area many times. For your information, he can move in and out of my house freely and he can still open the gate even though the gate is already closed. I can only prevent him to out out by chaining him (which i dislikes) or tieing a rope around the gate so that he cannot open the gate. So can anyone recommend any solutions? is it sending him to attend obedience class the best solution? However, i am from Kuching, Sarawak and i don't know any obedience classes are offered here. Thanks.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:14 PM
Animal Lover

dear jennes, i am curious with your dog's breed.. dogs are bred centuries long to achieve certain characters, so which one is yours?
Old 03-02-2009, 05:28 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Dear Jennes, as Ferreted has said, it would help to know your dog's breed, or mix of breeds. It sounds like your pup has a strong innate urge to chase. I think if you speak with any dog trainer, he or she will tell you that the best solution to nearly every behavioral problem is to be sure the dog gets PLENTY of exercise. Do you have a space where you can throw things -- a ball, a Frisbee, etc. -- for your dog to chase and retrieve? Another option which amuses some breeds of dogs is to toss the dry dog biscuit out into a grassy area, so the dog must go and "hunt" for his meal. Good luck -- it sounds like chasing motorbikes around Kuching is dangerous both for the cyclists and your dog, so I hope you find a happy solution soon!
Old 03-02-2009, 06:29 PM
Animal Lover

i think he supposed to be a local breed... He is a medium-size dog... I got this dog from one of my mum's friends.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:04 PM
Animal Lover

miket is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennes.C View Post
Hi Jennes,

I think I'm not useful because I'm not there to show it to you nor can I actually evaluate your dog. So, you must still try to seek a behaviorist - there's one on this board by the name of Cheng See. You should try contacting her directly and work something out.

But until then, I will try to explain to you what your dog is doing and, if possible, the kind of temporary measures you can take.

First, "i owned a dog which is more than 1 years". Ever since you got your dog, was he/she always chasing moving objects and animals? What about someone running/jogging?

If not, when did he start? Why did he suddenly do that, i.e. when was the 1st time and under what conditions?

If he did (chase objects) from the beginning, under what circumstances does he do that, for instance, whilst on walks, whilst inside your compound, whilst under your direction as opposed to, say, your other family members? If it is yes to all of these circumstances, then under what circumstances does he NOT chase objects/animals?

Second, on the face of it, he has very strong prey drive. Quoting a reknown animal behaviorist, Stewart Hilliard, prey drive is:
"... the urge to chase, catch, kill, carry, and guard prey. This urge drives a whole complex of very, very strong behaviors which are associated on an almost reflexive level (my emphasis) with the perception of movement, and can be said to be triggered by movement."

Let me rephrase to your situation, he chases moving objects and animals by instinct as he is not thinking clearly, namely, that the onwer does not like it. So you have to channel his focus away from the movements that trigger it. Locking him behind closed gates will get him frustrated and builds his urge to an even higher level. Why? Because, he can see the movement but is now prevented from chasing. I am not advocating that you release him. I am advocating that you put him further in your home so he does not witness as much movement.

Locking the gate should be solvable. Dogs don't pick locks, and if the gate is not functioning properly, it's better you change or repair the gate. If a dog can figure out an insecure gate, so can burglars ... just a bit of friendly advice there, it's your gate and your home.

Finally, one or two ideas to overcome his prey drive. If he has a tendency to focus on moving objects whilst on walks, you want to teach to avoid doing this and do something else. The best way is to channel his drive, as in channel from prey to food, or prey to play and retrieve.

The most often used method is to distract him with food. In other words, use your dog's food drive to overcome his prey drive. Say, with a kid cycling nearby, your dog may be watching and slowly build his internal urge to chase. Before he even notices the kid, you give a simple command (that he has learnt) such as sit or down, then give him food treats and repeat with one or two different commands. Over time, you do more complex commands like heel, sit-stay, down-stay, and so forth. In time, he will learn to ignore moving objects and be used to them whilst still listening to you as he will get treats. This is one option.

The other option is to use his play drive (which I prefer). His built-up energy can be used for playing with the tug and ball IN YOUR HAND, and not thrown away. This is so that he is always near you and you can control his running away. Over time, you can do play and retrieve by throwing his favourite toy/balls, etc. Be careful to not go too soon or he will revert to his prey mode and chase something else other than the ball/toy. You've got to read your own dog to see if he's ready.

Like I said, I'm not sure if any of the suggestions is useful because you might not see where I'm coming from. So, my final suggestion is to please consult a behaviorist and get better advise.

All the best

PS. Happy Girl, happy now? Seriously though, what do you think? Am I making sense? I ask because I'm often told by close friends I'm too opaque when I discuss dogs. So, please feel free to paraphrase me if you think Jennes might be helped.

Last edited by miket; 03-03-2009 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:00 AM
Animal Lover

siew yeeen... tell me whatchu think.. dont go quiet.. i want to learn too!
Old 03-03-2009, 09:38 AM
Animal Lover

Dear Jennes,

Good quote:

"Start the training session indoors in your own home. Put your dog on leash and stand with him at one end of a room or hallway. Wave a tennis ball in front of him but don't allow him to touch it. Now, roll or toss it across the room or down the hall and tell him 'OFF.' If he starts to go after it, command 'OFF!' and give him a firm tug on the leash. It's extremely important that you do not allow him to touch the ball or he will think that the word 'OFF' means for him to chase and get the ball. We are not trying to teach the dog to fetch. Practice this several times a day until he gets the message that 'OFF' means: don't go after the ball, i.e.: don't chase. When he gets it right, praise him profusely and give him a special treat.

When he seems to understand this new 'game,' repeat it in different rooms of your house. Practice in the garage and in your back yard. When it's clear to you that he really understands the meaning of 'OFF,' then try it without holding onto his leash. Leave his leash on, dragging on the floor so you can grab it or step on it quickly should he forget what 'OFF' means. When he has mastered this, try it completely off-leash, but still in your own home and yard.

Now it's time to practice with a jogger. Enlist the help of a friend to pose as a jogger. Stand with your dog on leash and have your friend jog by repeatedly while you repeat the 'OFF' exercise as you did with the tennis ball. Be sure your dog performs perfectly on leash before you try this off-leash."

During your walks. You can reinforce with electric shock collar. Seems cruel, but if he continues, people might physically hurt him cause of spite and yanking him on a choke collar all the time will drive you nuts.

The dog should not be let out unsupervised, if he's got a lot of energy and you dont.. get on a bike!

Good luck!
Old 03-03-2009, 09:57 AM
Animal Lover

Ferreted's quote of how to play retrieval game and when to stop engaging the ball can also be useful. It teaches the maintain focus on you when playing/retrieving. Ultimately, Jennes has to decide if the dog has the ability to focus on you.

As for the electric collar, my advise is not yet. Don't use e-collars on any form of teaching/training, just use it as reminders. More importantly, never use it for obedience work. It's not so much about cruelty, it's just that when the dog locks on to something - say, a cyclist - and the e-collar is activated, the dog may think it's the cyclist that's causing the sudden light shock. So it confuses the dog and the may make it worse.

Otherwise, Ferreted's suggestion is useful. What I like about it is that it gives Jennes an idea whether the dog is listening in indoor environment before going outdoors.

Last edited by miket; 03-03-2009 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Animal Lover

Yup, when i wrote about the e-shock collar i also felt like Nazi. Hihihi.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:02 PM
Animal Lover

Thanks for all ur suggestions...i think they're very useful and i had learnt something valuable...well i know it going to be difficult at first as it needs lots of time and patience, but i'll try out these recomendations that you all gave me.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:26 PM
PetFinder Guru

acsyen is on a distinguished road

Just saw my name here.. Miket has answered it perfectly.. Esp on the repairing gates part..hahaha.. My opinions and solutions are alike miket's.. Great sharing miket.. Good job..
Old 03-04-2009, 02:43 PM
Animal Lover

stamp miket's forehead with GOOD JOB stamp.. *CHOPPP!!!* hehehe
Old 03-04-2009, 03:00 PM
Animal Lover

Appreciated.

We can only try and hope for the best. But I think your expertise in one-to-one is more helpful and valuable 'cos it's difficult to explain the steps/activities to reform the behaviour.

Let's hope Jennes follow-through.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:00 PM
PetFinder Guru

acsyen is on a distinguished road

I'm no expert in training or even behavior correction. I only have experience handling all sorts of dogs from large to small breeds to all kinds of breeds. I believe in positive reinforcement training or you can call it reward based training. Reward can be in many forms to a dog, be it food, a single eye contact, a slight touch, a turn of head and so on. So one has to be very careful of their actions when using this method which I still feel is the best if it's done the right way.

I feel the sit and stay command can solve this problem. It's how well you train the dog to obey the command. A command has to be obeyed immediately in all kinds of situation and places. Be it in a park where the flying birds and wide field is very tempting, beside a busy road where cars are zooming by, in a shallow stream where there is water, at home and so on. When I train my dogs one command I go everywhere to practise it so that I get a control over them whenever its needed. Also do make sure that they sit even when you are not looking when giving the command or even when you are not standing when commanding.

Stay has to be done with duration, distance and also distraction. This way you will get a perfect stay.

These 2 commands are extremly useful in all situation. Getting a dog to sit before crossing the road no matter it has car or not can turn to a habit. If we accidentally open the gate and the dog runs out it will sit by the road side. Can be applied to many more situations.

These are the reasons why I believe in basic obedience for every single dog. Commands such as obeying their name, sit, down, stay, come, stand, leave it, give and walking on leash is sufficient. I do not need my dogs to learn how to do funny tricks and so on. As long as my dogs behave well in public and doesn't become a nuisance to others I am happy. This is the style if training which my trainer and also Cheng See is using. To other trainers I will not give a comment.

Lastly to Jennes do google more on positive reinforcement training and learn more about it.. Good luck..
Old 03-04-2009, 11:57 PM
Animal Lover

This is the basics to dog training (or other animals) - classical and operant conditioning
http://www.wagntrain.com/OC/

This is positive reinforcement, in general, not just for dogs
http://psych.athabascau.ca/html/prtut/reinpair.htm

Of course there are more issues to consider but these 2 links provide good foundation.