Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Latest News & Happenings > Feedback & Suggestions

Feedback & Suggestions Need help using our website, or have any comments or suggestions? Tell us about it here!

Old 10-27-2010, 01:05 PM
PetFinder Administrator

Administrator has disabled reputation
Default Discussion of FAQ Articles

Dear Members,

Maneki Neko has raised a good suggestion of creating a set of FAQs, to compile answers for commonly-asked questions from existing threads.

We feel that it would be most useful if information are extracted from those old threads and presented in a straightforward article with easy-to-read points, instead of having newbies scan through a whole set of discussions and replies, many of which could be idle chat or off-topic.

Each of these FAQ articles would finally be linked to the corresponding forum threads, should the person wish to read the original post or participate in the discussion.

These articles should be written in English, so that all members (including foreign visitors who came across the articles) can benefit from them. We would link them from within PetFinder.my's main site and a section in the Forum as well, so people can easily browse through them to get started.

We would require the assistance of knowledgeable members to help suggest the necessary topics, compile and format them accordingly.

Please let us know if you are able to help out.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:27 AM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Discussion of FAQ Articles

Myths, Facts & Benefits of Spaying and Neutering --- http://forums.petfinder.my/showthread.php?t=4997
Old 10-28-2010, 01:55 AM
Founder, PetFinder.my

AndyKoh has disabled reputation

Thanks for the great articles, Charlene!

I'm looking into how best to incorporate these articles into our system. Most likely I'll be extracting the articles and inserting them as FAQ entries (accessing at the top navigation bar's FAQ link).

Please continue to share more articles!
Old 10-28-2010, 08:23 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

I agree! These are almost exactly what I had in mind. I was also thinking that the article you'd posted on the PF home page about spay/neutering pets was a good foundation, Andy.

In terms of locally-appropriate information, I was thinking we could add the statement by Jakim that spay/neutering is acceptable within Islam. This could address the objections by Muslims who claim they can't neuter pets because their religion forbids it. I know June and others have either posted the Jakim statement or a link to it, but I can't find it now.

Although it would apply only to the Klang Valley, I think it would be a great idea to include a listing for Klinik Kembiri: It's address, phone, prices to spay neuter male/female and pedigreed/mixed-breed cats & dogs. And a link.

Finally, Lynielime once posted some numbers about how fast a pair of intact cats reproduce. I can't find her post at the moment, either, but here are the numbers from http://ezinearticles.com/?Show-You-C...r-Cat&id=94806:
"Because cats can reproduce several times a year, and kittens mature quickly, just 2 feral cats (the wild offspring of domestic cats) can quickly become 2,000. In fact, the feline reproduction statistics are staggering. 2 uncontrolled breeding cats produce: 2 litters a year, at a survival rate of 2.8 kittens per litter. Continued breeding will produce 12 cats the first year, 66 cats the second year, 2,201 cats in the third year, 3,822 cats in the fourth year, 12,680 cats in the fifth year, and on and on . . ."
I think if we combine all that info into one FAQ "white paper", it should address most questions and objections, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKoh View Post
Thanks for the great articles, Charlene!

I'm looking into how best to incorporate these articles into our system. Most likely I'll be extracting the articles and inserting them as FAQ entries (accessing at the top navigation bar's FAQ link).

Please continue to share more articles!
Old 10-28-2010, 11:27 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Thank you, Maneki Neko, for bringing this up. It has slipped my mind.

Below is the "fatwa" issued by JAKIM (Jawatankuasa Kemajuan Islam Malaysia) in July 2002:

"Bahawa mengembiri binatang kesayangan seperti kucing atau anjing hukumnya adalah diharuskan dengan sebab-sebab tertentu iaitu bagi menjaga muslahat ummah."

"All pets like cats and dogs are allowed to be neutered or spayed in order to maintain the health and welfare of both the animals and the community."

Quote:
We have referred to the "Jawatankuasa Kemajuan Islam Malaysia" regarding the neutering of pets. Below is the "fatwa" issued by JAKIM (July 2002):

"All pets like cats and dogs are allowed to be neutered or spayed in order to maintain the health and welfare of both the animals and the community."

"Bahawa mengembiri binatang kesayangan seperti kucing atau anjing hukumnya adalah diharuskan dengan sebab-sebab tertentu iaitu bagi menjaga muslahat ummah."

After studying the messages of the aforementioned "mazhab"s and the medical viewpoint of the SPCA animal experts, 'JAKIM' has decided that neutering of cats for reasons of 'maslahat' is acceptable. It is in agreement with 'qaedah' (way) Fiqhiyyah which states "To choose the lesser of two evils".
source: http://www.spca.org.my/v51/klinikkembiri_fatwa.php

The information for Kelinik Kembiri, a joint-operation between SPCA Selangor and DBKL is http://www.spca.org.my/neuter.htm

Last edited by blackie007; 10-28-2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:52 AM
PetFinder Guru

adrianng87 is on a distinguished road

hi everyone,
sorry guys, i am not so informative about cats and dogs, but i guess i have another suggestion that will make these useful information to be more friendly viewed.

just my thoughts about this superbly useful information that is going to be more publicized, i think the new FAQ link about pets should be something like a new button or something that is not hidden within the threads by threads, after some time, it'll be hidden few pages back again and this will reoccur the same issue again for the newcomers to search again. if we add all of the infos here, it'll be the same problem faced by newcomers to look all thoroughly.

FAQ articles should be finalized in a one page manner so as to allow other people to judge the articles as "hey this article is very accurate and there's no if", of course with the links to old/past threads if necessary, and a comment box just right below of the article to let people ask if they find other confusions. Finalized FAQ need to be compiled and shown at very top of page only to not mix with other people's public comment. Should there be any changes in future, only the administrators can edit it's article. this beats all people's confusion by judging if this person is really reliable by giving these infos.

sorry again guys, i know i cant be informative about cats and dogs, but i will try to give suggestions based on visual approach if i may.

thanks.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:17 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Adrian,

The thread on Spaying & Neutering is sticky. It will always be on the top of the first page in the cats & kittens' behavioral and health sub-forum. No worries about it being buried under tons of other, more recent threads.

But I believe the FAQ list will be in the form of a button. :)
Old 11-05-2010, 11:39 PM
PetFinder Guru

Just wondering if other topic such as FAQ of adoption will be made in this plan?

Questions to ask yourself before adopting a pet extracted by maris_sa528:
http://forums.petfinder.my/showthrea...0737#post90737
Old 11-10-2010, 05:55 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

Hi Amanda, Charlene and Adrian,

We have just launched the PetFinder.my Knowledge Library. It would be a more organized resource for people to read up on pet-related topics, and we can easily point the newbies to those articles addressing many common questions they have.

It'd be great if you guys can help add some articles to the knowledge base as well. To do so, please login to your main PetFinder.my accounts, then proceed to "Submit An Article".

Let's build an extensive knowledge repository together!
Old 11-23-2010, 06:39 PM
PetFinder Guru

Andy,

Lol, when I was looking at the new FAQ articles, I don't even know if I can give a better one cos I think those are really good! I am probably scratching my head already. Hehehe...
Old 11-24-2010, 11:23 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

Thanks Adrian, so far I've only had time to key in articles that are more important and relevant to our community.. hopefully we can all contribute articles from time to time as we come across them.

In fact, I think I learnt a lot from it even as I copied and pasted the articles!

Please share with us too if you have any informative articles ya.