Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Pet Welfare, Rescue & Adoption > General Discussion

General Discussion General information and discuss on animal rescue, adoption and advocacy

Old 05-07-2010, 12:30 AM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation
Exclamation IMPORTANT: Read this before you bring a new kitten/cat home

Of late, I have been hearing of sad stories regarding the cats and kittens that have been rehomed. They have either escaped from their homes to become strays, or have fallen to their deaths.

It is very disheartening, and I would like to share with everyone the points below for serious consideration before bringing home a new cat or kitten IN ORDER TO PREVENT YOUR NEW KITTY FROM ESCAPING TO TRY TO RETURN TO HER FORMER HOME/SHELTER.

Cats are creatures of habit. They do not take very well to sudden change. They find being moved from one house or neighborhood to another very stressful.

Imagine what it must be like for the poor cat if she also has to get to know new owners as well as confronting changes in food, water, household routines, and rules. They experience difficulties when they are introduced into a new home. So, if possible, keep to the same food and routine that you new cat was used to.

They need to become thoroughly familiar with new surroundings before they feel comfortable. An entire apartment or house can be overwhelming all at once. Many cats will hide under beds or furniture, sometimes for days. It will be much less stressful for your cat to learn about you, your family and your home a little at a time. This is even more important if there are multiple people and/or pets in your household.

When you bring your cat home, place her in the room you have fixed up for her with her food, water, litter box & scratch post. Keep this room closed off, and let her explore that area first. Let the cat come out of her carrier on her own; do not try to coax her or tip the carrier to force her out. Cats are curious and most will soon come out to explore their surroundings. If the cat seems very timid, you can leave the room for a while and check back later. If you really want to stay in the room, get a book and read. When the cat is ready to come out, stay where you are and let her come to you. Talk in a soft, reassuring tone, pet her if she seems interested. Leave the open carrier in the room, so that she has a safe retreat if she wants one. Give her time to learn that she can trust you.

To establish the best relationship, she must be comfortable with you, with the sound of your voice and with your touch.

As she explores the room, talk to her. It doesn't matter what you say; it is the sound of your voice that matters. If she already has a name, repeat it in a calling tone and use it in different phrases. If she doesn't have a name yet, and you have already chosen a name, use it repeatedly in the manner described above so that she becomes familiar with the sound of her name.

Have a variety of playthings placed throughout the room. Once she has finished exploring, get a toy and initiate some play. Make physical contact while playing by petting her back and picking her up gently and setting her right down, so that she learns to associate your touch with the play.

You can try picking her up and petting her in your arms, but if she starts to squirm and obviously wants to get away, never force her to stay. Put her down immediately and distract her again with a toy.

After a bit of play, take her back to her food and water, and encourage her to eat and drink by dipping your finger in the water and taking a piece of food and putting it to her nose. This will establish an important, positive association between you and her food and water by showing that you are now the "provider" of her needs.

It is also important to pet and scratch her when she is calm or resting to get her used to your touch outside of playtime, so that she associates you with soothing, pleasant interaction as well.

After a few days, start to introduce her to the rest of the home. Place some toys outside of the room spaced far enough apart to encourage her explore and to show her that her "comfort zone" has expanded.

Open the door making sure it won't accidentally get closed, so she can retreat to her familiar space if she gets scared. Depending upon her personality, she will either readily come out to explore, or be apprehensive at first to venture out of the "safety zone." Either way, let her make her own decisions.

Eventually your new cat or kitten will be comfortable with the entire house, and a positive relationship of trust and security will be established between you.

And lastly, do NOT forget to ensure that all doors and windows are locked as your new cat or kitten is likely to want to escape and return to her former home/shelter at the first chance she gets.

~~ Added on May 7, 4:13pm ~~
For tips on integrating your new cat to existing cats, go to post no. 8

Last edited by blackie007; 05-07-2010 at 04:13 PM. Reason: to add a link to post no. 8
Old 05-07-2010, 01:10 AM
Animal Lover

Adila is on a distinguished road
Default Re: IMPORTANT: Read this before you bring a new kitten/cat home

Wow blackie, u have posted something really useful and yet interesting to read!

I really appreciate your effort in opening our eyes and hearts. I should let my friend read this, because she has adopted a kitten and will take her home this weekend...and of course will keep this post somewhere else so that I won't forever lost it!

After preparing all her needs, giving her much love and gaining each other's trusts, I seem to be having a hard time to get my existing cats and the new one to get along. Would u please share any idea of making this less stressful both for me and my pets.

I've tried a lot of methods advised from many people but it seems like they haven't work, or might it will never work....I always dreams of Zara, Jasmine and the new Houbie will one day run around, messing up my house, sharing toys and meals together. I've learnt that it might take a few days (just like Zara and Jasmine was introduced to each other) or month, even years for the cats to get along well. I can't bear to see both Jasmine (8 months female Turkish Angora) and Houbie (3 months male Persian) feeling stressed with each other. My first cat Zara (10 months mixed female Persian) gets along with both of them well, being a charismatic disaster leader she's always playful and initiates games or to destroy my furnitures, books, decorations activities blah blah blah. And only either Jasmine or Houbie alone would follow suit.

I would love to hear more ideas in getting pets liking and trusting each other.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:30 AM
Cat Slave

Fareen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adila View Post
Wow blackie, u have posted something really useful and yet interesting to read!

I really appreciate your effort in opening our eyes and hearts. I should let my friend read this, because she has adopted a kitten and will take her home this weekend...and of course will keep this post somewhere else so that I won't forever lost it!

After preparing all her needs, giving her much love and gaining each other's trusts, I seem to be having a hard time to get my existing cats and the new one to get along. Would u please share any idea of making this less stressful both for me and my pets.

I've tried a lot of methods advised from many people but it seems like they haven't work, or might it will never work....I always dreams of Zara, Jasmine and the new Houbie will one day run around, messing up my house, sharing toys and meals together. I've learnt that it might take a few days (just like Zara and Jasmine was introduced to each other) or month, even years for the cats to get along well. I can't bear to see both Jasmine (8 months female Turkish Angora) and Houbie (3 months male Persian) feeling stressed with each other. My first cat Zara (10 months mixed female Persian) gets along with both of them well, being a charismatic disaster leader she's always playful and initiates games or to destroy my furnitures, books, decorations activities blah blah blah. And only either Jasmine or Houbie alone would follow suit.

I would love to hear more ideas in getting pets liking and trusting each other.

Hi Adilla,

I feel for you.....Introducing a new cat/kitten into a household that currently already has cats can be stressfull. May I ask how long have you had Houbie and what are the methods you've tried to integrate him with Zara and Jasmine?

Proud mummy of Sophie / Dexter / Yuki / Heidi / Optimus

Feed your cats BARF!
www.catnutrition.org
Old 05-07-2010, 07:16 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Wow, thanks for posting this Blackie007! So much excellent advice.

The bit about giving your cat some "safe space" really jumped out at me. Maneki has a kitchen cupboard that she retreats to when life gets too stressful -- during lightning storms and when the doorbell rings. If I should forget and close the cupboard, she'll stand in front of it and howl until I open the door again. But I noticed in our early days together that she would behave much more calmly and confidently, just knowing that the cupboard was there for her if she needed to flee.

Thank you again, and I hope your posting makes for some easier adoptions and re-homings!
Old 05-07-2010, 11:11 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Adila: What are the methods you have tried? Sometimes, just like humans, one cat may not get along with another cat. Personality clashes, so to speak.

Maneki Neko: I decided to post this after hearing of the cats that I personally know or have helped rehome fell to their deaths or escaped from their new homes and are now either wandering the streets as strays or are demised.

The points are just an amalgamation of what I found when I was doing my research in preparation prior to bringing Yin home. I'll add more later, on the points of how to integrate a new cat to existing cats. The lessons I learned were very useful in integrating Yin with us & Blackie.

Yin, for the first week, would hide in my wardrobe whenever I left the room. She only came out when I entered the room and called her. Now, she's comfortable in my entire home, although thunderstorms still send her scurrying into my wardrobe to hide.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:40 AM
Call me Yuana or Yan ;)

euanna is on a distinguished road

I agree with Blackie on some cat just can't stand each other. I have the same trouble myself. I have rescued an adult male cat for almost 2 months now, he's been living in a cage but in the same room as my other two cats and recently I've started to let him out to mingle with my 2 cats.

Sadly, my eldest cat just can't tolerate him to the point of huge cat fight that took somewhat a huge amount of water to disperse them. They tolerate each other when one is in a cage and the other outside (though spats happened even while being separated) but when my eldest cat starts to show signs of stress even while the new cat is still in the cage, with heavy heart I have to let go of the new cat. If they've been exposed to each other's scent after 2 months but still can't tolerate each other, I don't think they ever will. Some cats just hate each other.

P/S: Alpha males will always have a battle of supremacy I guess (even after being neutered).. *huge audible sighs*

In terms of rehoming, never let a new cat roam your house if you don't have every opening covered in my opinion. Make sure every doors and windows closed. Better if you keep them caged for a few days and get acquainted with the sight, smell and sound of the new home. Even when you first let them roam the house, follow it around and see where it goes.
Again, always pay extra attention when opening doors or windows at least in the first week of letting the new cat roam the house. Cats are fast on their feet, in a blink of an eye they might be dashing out the door.
But when they're accustomed to your home, they won't even try to run out anymore (though be careful just in case, loud noises or strangers could frighten them and make them dash to god knows where).
Old 05-07-2010, 12:30 PM
PetFinder Guru

oni hatamah is on a distinguished road

You are 100% right and accurate on your perfectly structured advice. I too will house the new found cat/kitten in a medium size cage and put it at a distance from the cat house and each week I move it closer and closer in order for the otai to register the new cats smell and after the third week I will put the cage next to the cat house and they will start to reach each other and when there is no objection from the whole gang during the week end I will palce the new cat in the cat house and keep watch for any retalation with the next 24 hours.............. but the most important you must not displayed an over affection to the new one while the existing cats are watching, or you must play with the existing cat must longer than stroking the new one. Believe me pets do fight over the owners attention. Kena PANDAI AMBIL ATI...............lebih kurang manusia gak.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:02 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Unless your new cat has lived her entire life in a cage, or is used to being caged, I would advise against caging your new cat. It will only add additional stress to her.

For a cat that has never been caged before, it will freak her out if she is caged in her new place.

The most effective method is to place your new cat in a separate room with her food, water, litter box, scratch post and some toys as mentioned in my first post.

As for introducing your new cat to existing cats in the house, please remember that scents are more important to cats than appearances. Below is what I did for one week plus.

Always bear in mind that the first introduction is the most important. A bad start can result in your existing cats disliking your new cat.

1. On the first day, let them get used to each other's scents. Rub the new cat's cheeks with a washcloth, and put the washcloth under the food bowl of the existing cat. Do the same with the existing cat, and put the washcloth under the new cat's food bowl. Repeat for a few days until both cats do not react fearfully or aggressively towards the scent of the other.

2. Start mingling their scents by transferring their scents by rubbing the washcloth that has first been rubbed onto the new cat's cheeks onto the existing cat's cheeks and vice versa. You can also transfer and exchange their scents by stroking one cat and then the other. (This is provided that the new cat is free from any diseases.)

3. Observe how the cats interact when they sniffed each other through the gap beneath the door. They will let you know when they are ready to see each other when they appear curious and friendly. If your existing cat hisses at the door, it is not time yet to let them meet.

4. Give your existing cat his favourite treat whenever he is sniffing out the new cat at the other side of the door. This allows him to equate pleasure with the presence of the new cat. Praise him and pet him if he shows friendliness.

5. A few times a day (NOT on the first day), take the new cat out and introduce it to another room of the house, and place your existing cat into the room occupied by the new cat. This allows them to check out each other's scent more fully.

6. When the cats appear curious and interested to meet, open the door a small gap and let the cats see each other but not wide enough for them to touch each other. You can do this a few times a day.

7. Slowly, gradually, allow them to see more of each other by opening the door wider. Allow them to be in each other's presence only under close supervision until you are satisfied that they will not get into a fight.

Using this method, you should end up with a pair of cats that tolerate each other if not get on.

And if yours is a multiple cat household, introduce your alpha cat to the new cat first. When your alpha cat accepts the new cat, the other resident cats will follow.

Last edited by blackie007; 05-07-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:37 PM
Animal Lover

Fareen and Blackie,

Thank you Fareen. Yes it is quite stressful...

Houbie joined our "family" for almost 3 months now. He was eager to explore the house on the same day he arrived, so i let him be and just walked around with him. After all im living in a 1 bedroom studio so the are only a few comfort and safe zones for all my kittens to learn about, i.e. my living hall, bedroom, kitchen, freshroom and loo.

I have tried what my family, friends suggestions and some methods that I found on websites.

1. Put Houbie in a cage for the first few weeks. I did put him in a cage for a day on his arrival. However I changed my mind because I was really crossed at my self because I didnt adopt him to just cage him.

2. Let them eat and drink in the same bowls. Reason for this is to show them that the bowls are the only source of food and water, and that they are going to be eating and drinking only there. Unfortunately Jasmine always attacked Houbie when we was drinking or eating for the first few weeks, and now she seems to not bother. But she always glare at him when he is near their "dining table", so as the litter box.

3. Creat a game to play with all of them together. It was really difficult because Jasmine likes tiny toys so that she can kick and toss them around. Zara likes jumping, climbing and run around the house. As Houbie thinks he is a dog, he likes to play catch and fetch. Houbie doesn't climb as i notice this is one of dog behaviours. Houbie grew up with a pretty toy poodle for sometimes, so i guess he adopted a few habit from the poodle. So i gave a tought about the most suitable game for them, yes i got an idea! I bought a remote control car! Jasmine was so excited, she ran together with the car and meows when i stopped playing with it. Sadly, Zara and Houbie ran off like chickens, and hid in the tv cabinet, scared and panting. To make the story short, the remote control car now is back in its box, and i was thinking perhaps this would be my sons toys in the future ahahaha!!!

4. I slept with all of them for two weeks but it was really difficult when both of Jasmine and Houbie started growling at each other in the middle of the night. Plus my insomnia makes me a zombie at that time. So now they are back on daily rotation to sleep with me.

5. Be with them together when im free. They like to listen to story so I gather them and sit with me on my couch while i read a story to them. Zara always falls asleep after two lines, Jasmine and Houbie will start hissing in the middle of the story. Sigh

6. Most of the time, I will take Jasmine to sit on my right lap, and Houbie on the other lap. So i pet and scratch them, and make them calm. But i guess you can tell the ending.

7. Distract Jasmine whenever she glares at Houbie. It only works when i am around but i am pretty sure that Jasmine attacks become lesser and less violent.

I know the problem is that Jasmine really loves me and i thought that she feels Houbie is taking some of her love from me. I made a point that all of them are my loves and very important to me by fairly dividing anything i give them.

Houbie loves sitting in my lap or next to me even when i am eating at the dining table. He would scratch the door of my room or toilet to be let in.

I even let Jasmine eats Houbie food because she once slapped him when he was eating. So carried her and let watch me while i put the food in to a bowl and let her eat it.

Houbie is still eating his wet food and i started mixing it with kibbles. It turned out that all of my kittens are eating the same thing haha. Wet food mixed with kibbles. But Zara and Jasmine only get that once a day unlike Houbie, thrice a day.

Please tell me where are the mistakes that i perhaps made. Any more suggestions? I really appreciate your ideas.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:55 PM
Petfinder Moderator

I think the mistake here is you introduce them too early before they got used to each other's scent.

The internet is a resourceful tool -- there's much you can learn from there. In Malaysia we don't have animal behaviourist to advise us, but you can get animal behaviourists' advise from the internet. And....they do not encourage caging the new cat and let the existing cats see it. In fact, they totally discourage any meeting at all, only introduce the scent indirectly (read my post no. 8).

They also advised giving the new cat and existing cats different food & water bowls, and different litter box. This is to prevent the existing cat from feeling that the new cat has come to take over. Feed the new cat in a separate room, and slowly, gradually, move the new cat's food bowl & existing cats' food bowls nearer and nearer the door that separates them.

Google and read up the articles written by professional animal behaviourists. I'm sure there are plenty of articles on what to do if you had not introduced your cats correctly the first time round. :)
Old 05-07-2010, 11:23 PM
Animal Lover

I let Houbie roams freely because Jasmine is very friendly. She and Zara got along well on the second day. But she's totally different with Houbie. Perhaps i should limit Houbie's movements

But i fear they will never be nice if they are not use to each other. I need a lot more of readings!!!

Thanks blackie. You are so helpful
Old 05-07-2010, 11:36 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Try the towel rubbing to exchange their scents so that they smell 'similar'. And yes, google and read more. Nothing beats getting advice from the professionals rather than laymen like us. Good luck and keep us updated on your progress. :)
Old 05-08-2010, 12:18 AM
Animal Lover

Towel rubbing, yes thats a good one!

Will update the proggress sir
Old 05-09-2010, 06:59 AM
Call me Yuana or Yan ;)

euanna is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie007 View Post
Try the towel rubbing to exchange their scents so that they smell 'similar'. And yes, google and read more. Nothing beats getting advice from the professionals rather than laymen like us. Good luck and keep us updated on your progress. :)
This is a good idea.. I guess I'm back to square one with the new cat, might as well try to introduce him to the home alpha again while waiting if he'll be adopted. Though I'm trying to figure out how to 'mellow' the new cat. He's been known as an alpha male around this apartment area and does play rough (I think the idea of playing with human is something new to him ..hmm ).

I think I'll have to look up more info
Old 05-29-2010, 03:15 PM
PetFinder Guru

MidnightMaiden is on a distinguished road
Default Be responsible! Do not let ur newly adopted cat wander off & get lost

Hi all,

I feel like I have to bring this subject up bc I've noticed quite a few cats that were on the 'adopted' list here, later on ending up in the 'LOST' section. I'm sure there are many more that have not been listed... Guys, this is alarming!

So please, I implore you, for the sake of our furry friends, before bringing home a pet, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE equip yourself with the knowledge on the proper way to get your cat adjusted to his new environment.

Here are some tips, taken from: http://www.helpiammoving.com/moving_...oving_cats.php
(There are many more articles available online)

1) Keep your cat inside for the first two or three weeks to give him time to learn the geography of his new home and to become accustomed to the smells. When you decide the time is right to let him out, withhold food for about 12 hours so he is hungry. Choose a quiet time to let him out in the garden, firstly ensuring that there are no other cats about. Go out with him and let him explore for a little while before calling him in for food.
2)Repeat the exercise several times, allowing him to go a little further and for awhile longer each time. Cats used to the outdoors generally cope well with a new territory to explore. Timid cats may take a little longer and should be accompanied as often as possible until their confidence builds.
3)If your cat is spending time outdoors he should be microchipped or have some form of identification bearing his name, your new address and 'phone number.

This period of readjustment may take weeks and, in some cases, it can be months before he can be allowed outside unattended. But, with patience and a little bit of luck, you and your cat will soon feel like he's never lived anywhere else.

Good luck!
Old 05-30-2010, 01:27 PM
PetFinder Guru

Kyzoor is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Be responsible! Do not let ur newly adopted cat wander off & get lost

Snow - Female -white cream n grey

miaw miaw.......3 am last april.....near my house staircase......kuar n tgk....sian nya....sekeping je badan n banyak kutu n comot sgt......bila tgk snow nie tak berdaya nak merangkak pun....wan bawa lah balik n bersih kan dulu before mix up with rakyat2 wan yang len........

Crystal - Male - cream white

the next day lepas jumpa si Snow nie ada lagi anak bulus kedengaran kat anak tangga kat ngan umah wan.....then wan g tgk n i told si snow terlepas kuar n comot balik.....pastu a bit confuse coz anak bulus tue berkutu.....then wan bawa balik n bersihkan.....dalam masa wan bersihkan ada pulak wan tgk si snow tue tgh main ngan rakyat Wan yang lain.....means this is different bulus......tak kisah lah dah terambik lagipun dia terbiar......a few days after ada lah trdengar yang si snow n crystal nie my neighbour tgkt 2 yang buang kat tangga tue coz tak dapat nak jaga.....yang tak berakal nye......diaorg ambik 2 ekor bulus nie dr kawan diaorg utk di jaga......after that diaorg yang buang.....

p/s :- before kita nak bela or rasa nak minta spesis2 bulus nie pastikan cukup rasa utk kita bertanggungjawab......tempat yang khas utk diaorg n keselamatan serta keselesaan diaorg.....jgn time dia cantik je n time dia nie masih kitten je.......pastu berak merata sikit buang.....allah kurnikan kita berakal.....jgn ambik jalan mudah utk menyelesaikan sesuatu jika jalan mudah tue menambah dosa n mengurankan pahala amalan kita....bukan nak berkhutbah but utk peringatan.....Wan sokong 10000% apa yang midnightmaiden kata in this thread

renung2 kan........allah s.w.t tidak pernah terlepas pandang pun dgn apa yang berlaku......wallahualam

Kyzoor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	290510-1647.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	9404   Click image for larger version

Name:	290510-1650(001).jpg
Views:	287
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	9405  
Old 05-31-2010, 03:05 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Midnight Maiden,

I've merged your thread titled "Be responsible! Do not let ur newly adopted cat wander off & get lost" with this existing thread as the discussion is on the same topic.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:00 AM
Meow Meow Lover

FyQa Kamarol Zaman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to FyQa Kamarol Zaman Send a message via Yahoo to FyQa Kamarol Zaman Send a message via Skype™ to FyQa Kamarol Zaman
Default Re: Be responsible! Do not let ur newly adopted cat wander off & get lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightMaiden View Post
Hi all,

I feel like I have to bring this subject up bc I've noticed quite a few cats that were on the 'adopted' list here, later on ending up in the 'LOST' section. I'm sure there are many more that have not been listed... Guys, this is alarming!

So please, I implore you, for the sake of our furry friends, before bringing home a pet, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE equip yourself with the knowledge on the proper way to get your cat adjusted to his new environment.

Here are some tips, taken from: http://www.helpiammoving.com/moving_...oving_cats.php
(There are many more articles available online)

1) Keep your cat inside for the first two or three weeks to give him time to learn the geography of his new home and to become accustomed to the smells. When you decide the time is right to let him out, withhold food for about 12 hours so he is hungry. Choose a quiet time to let him out in the garden, firstly ensuring that there are no other cats about. Go out with him and let him explore for a little while before calling him in for food.
2)Repeat the exercise several times, allowing him to go a little further and for awhile longer each time. Cats used to the outdoors generally cope well with a new territory to explore. Timid cats may take a little longer and should be accompanied as often as possible until their confidence builds.
3)If your cat is spending time outdoors he should be microchipped or have some form of identification bearing his name, your new address and 'phone number.

This period of readjustment may take weeks and, in some cases, it can be months before he can be allowed outside unattended. But, with patience and a little bit of luck, you and your cat will soon feel like he's never lived anywhere else.

Good luck!
refer to your point number one.... keep in? keep in where?
Old 08-11-2010, 08:35 AM
PetFinder Guru

MidnightMaiden is on a distinguished road

Keep your cat inside = Keep your cat indoors (inside the house) so that he can familiarise himself with his new surroundings.