Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies

Dogs & Puppies General information and discussions on taking care of your canine buddy

Old 12-22-2008, 11:35 PM
PetFinder Guru

Sashy is on a distinguished road
Default How to introduce new puppy to old dog

So, I was considering getting a new pup since my old dog passed away, and Bugs (9 yrs old), the remaining dog is alone now. However, when I bring her for walks and my neighbours pups come over to play, she acts like they're walking food.

So, after thoroughly beating up a puppy in my garden (she escaped, and went for a puppy I was cleaning up for adoption), I decided to leave her as a lone dog for now... until she's too arthritic to go for a puppy :/

However, should things change and I do seriously want to get a puppy, I would like to ask how other pet lovers in this forum have managed to successfuly (and safely) introduced a new puppy to an older dog, and how long it took before it was safe to leave the pup with the dog?

I've actually never had this problem before as my late dog had no issues with puppies that we adopted. We introduced them to hit by letting him sniff them, then letting them go carefully in front of him. He was always fine. Only Bugs is being really possessive/insecure/jealous, and we are wondering how to overcome this.

Last edited by Sashy; 12-22-2008 at 11:46 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:00 PM
PetFinder Guru

junleewei is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How to introduce new puppy to old dog

u can ask MSDOLITTLE...even a cat,she oso can introduce2her dog...good luck!i juz know how2do it myself..duno how2teach u..cos sometimes its depend2 diffrent situation using diffrent way.... >_<
Old 12-24-2008, 10:18 AM
Animal Lover

Ferreted is an unknown quantity at this point

dear sashy, experience wise.. ask those who are really competent. i would recommend to ask dog-handlers or get n touch with our member "acsyen", she is on adoption listings as well. she is thoroughly in knowledge of handling multiple canines and forming good behaving canines from god knows the state they were in before.

to read up more:
http://www.ehow.com/how_2194673_intr...ident-dog.html

http://ezinearticles.com/?Puppy-Care...r-Dog&id=13490...

junleewei: without proper knowledge that means you have just been lucky with dominance issues.

there is a painful but truthful quote in a book i once read, "there is no failure dogs, only failed owners".

good luck sashy!
Old 12-24-2008, 10:52 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferreted View Post
dear sashy, experience wise.. ask those who are really competent. i would recommend to ask dog-handlers or get n touch with our member "acsyen", she is on adoption listings as well. she is thoroughly in knowledge of handling multiple canines and forming good behaving canines from god knows the state they were in before.

to read up more:
http://www.ehow.com/how_2194673_intr...ident-dog.html

http://ezinearticles.com/?Puppy-Care...r-Dog&id=13490...

junleewei: without proper knowledge that means you have just been lucky with dominance issues.

there is a painful but truthful quote in a book i once read, "there is no failure dogs, only failed owners".

good luck sashy!
FERRET:
yup..i m a very blessed girl.all my dogs are very good wth me wthin dis 19years....more than 60dogs i had n hav.dats cos i use my love n d most important is,i can "COMUNICATE" wth thm.teaching dog is using diffrent way depend on d dog personality....same d way teaching a children...1thng,teaching tricks got a tetap way...but d personality n wel behave is teaching by diffrent ways depends of d dog.seem like d MENTAL PROBLEM (duno wats dat,only know chinese,go n find XIN LI YI SHENG)treated by diffrent way.thn...how can i teach her d way "COMUNICATE"?n how can i juz simply giv a way?n1thngs,my english poor...dats y i dun like2talk so much...so juz ask her2ask MSDOLITTLE.....apa salah i?sudah kacau u?y u stil TAK LEPASKAN saya?friends,i know u r a good lady,if not u wont so care bout stripes....n i know wat i said is BULLSHIT4u,is ok,cos u duno who m i actually.n mayb u langsung tak mau tahu siapa i.nice2meet u.anyway,wat u do at me,i stil love u(mayb u wil said i m bullshit,but dis d most important thngs2b a REAL CHRISTIAN).....PEACE....MERRY CHRISTMAS.....

Last edited by junleewei; 12-24-2008 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:43 AM
Animal Lover

junwei, i am a dog lover too and no good at being alpha leader for dogs. i am serious on this dominance issue of sashy though.. i know you got some problem with acsyen before but acsyen sure is into dog training and obedience, schooling, not just as a caretaker.. even take them on sundays to jungle treks and followed with an obedience group class. and she follows up and really like a mother to each strays and rescuees.

so she'd be best to ask and she could refer people that is key to sashy's dog. she made sure everything is done properly at her end, and the dogs take their course.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:56 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
junwei, i am a dog lover too and no good at being alpha leader for dogs. i am serious on this dominance issue of sashy though.. i know you got some problem with acsyen before but acsyen sure is into dog training and obedience, schooling, not just as a caretaker.. even take them on sundays to jungle treks and followed with an obedience group class. and she follows up and really like a mother to each strays and rescuees.

so she'd be best to ask and she could refer people that is key to sashy's dog. she made sure everything is done properly at her end, and the dogs take their course.
feret:
d way u talk now is good...!last time i new here n i tot she aways abandoned her dog..who knows she is a rescuer?u can ask any1who new here wil tot like dis....dats a normal thngs...but even i sent mail 4 her stil same...even u..last time i wrote u a meseg at ur profile,u oso seem like CUCUK i in another pet profile(mayb i missunderstanding)...dats y i delete all d meseg...dun1 u all hate o angry whn u all c my name appear....is ok...d most important thngs is can help how many dog thn help...do d best...hope dat v can b friends...dats my wish 4dis christmas....i dun like enemy at all....i know u hav a preety face sure hav a good heart....all d problem started wth a missuderstanding....merry christmas!!!n happy new year!!!

Last edited by junleewei; 12-24-2008 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:23 PM
Animal Lover

just a bit of info, the dog you been talkin is a very poor abuse victim. that dog never had enough food, no obedience whatsoever which is needed on a german shepherd, and he was perfectly healthy when the owner wanted to put him down and eventually the vet had to beg to take the dog away and contacted acsyen, who has been trying to put a bit of weight on him with the best food possible, the dog is basically just fur and bones.. (all the ribs are visible). costing a lot. so you can imagine when that time you wrote real bad abt her, tell me how it did not enrage most who knows what it is like for acsyen and abused dogs.

we can also get sentimental and hot headed.. cause we love the dogs so much. if you had been talking abt another rescuer or another dog i dont know i would not care.

merry christmas too for your newly adopted dogs and welcome to the forum to you and sashy too.

Last edited by Ferreted; 12-24-2008 at 12:30 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:33 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
just a bit of info, the dog you been talkin is a very poor abuse victim. that dog never had enough food, no obedience whatsoever which is needed on a german shepherd, and he was perfectly healthy when the owner wanted to put him down and eventually the vet had to beg to take the dog away and contacted acsyen, who has been trying to put a bit of weight on him with the best food possible, the dog is basically just fur and bones.. (all the ribs are visible). costing a lot. so you can imagine when that time you wrote real bad abt her, tell me how it did not enrage most who knows what it is like for acsyen and abused dogs.

we can also get sentimental and hot headed.. cause we love the dogs so much.

merry christmas too for your newly adopted dogs.
yalo...but i duno dat time ma..cos she ask me12adopt a golden onot,dat only i juz new here n i tot she12giv her golden2me..thn i ma1 lo...thn i sudenly found dat she 12giv away another GSD...n wrote so many peraturan..thn let me angry....u try2think...wat wil u do if u tot dat sombody is going2abandon her dog n ask soo many thngs?12punch her n ASK HER2KEEP HERSELF lah...dats my feeling at dat time...who know she is rescuer?only after dat v "fight" i only know she is a good rescuer....dats all..but nobody giv me a chance2talk...juz shoot me only....hope she can oso understand me....very happy dat u talk nicely wth me...I M SOOOOO HAPY2DAY...mayb u wil not believe..but I REALLY HAPPY...dis d most good present 4 me in dis christmas!!TQTQTQTQ.....I LOVE U...hope u can get a pupy soon....i juz bring back a GSD pupy..its leg is stiff,quite pity...i pay more love2him...my hubby said i TAK ADIL...dats human being ma...n another1have2put2sleep oready,dats his last chance.so i know d feel whn saw a dog hav2put 2sleep....hope u can get ur own dog soon...i hav2leav..so many wok in church...c u n MERRY CHRISTMAS,HAPPY NEW YEAR!YEAH,I M SOOOOO HAPPY2DAY!

Last edited by junleewei; 12-24-2008 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:37 PM
Animal Lover

yeah.. hwhwhw i dont want puppy.. i think i will be the only active member in this forum without a pet for a very long time. I dont have the time for pets. Maybe i will get a cat.. but not sure too cus all of my furnitures are really good and owned by landlord.. so.. sigh.. see later..
Old 12-24-2008, 12:42 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
yeah.. hwhwhw i dont want puppy.. i think i will be the only active member in this forum without a pet for a very long time. I dont have the time for pets. Maybe i will get a cat.. but not sure too cus all of my furnitures are really good and owned by landlord.. so.. sigh.. see later..
aiya..i juz edit my meseg n u oready sent new meseg...cat good,noneed sooo much time2acompany..actualy need oso lah..hahahah...but their PAW really gatal....if not u can go SPCA whn u free...n think dats all ur pets..how good..???k,bye...c u ....
Old 12-24-2008, 03:42 PM
Animal Lover

Sashy, maybe you can see acsyen post on this thread http://forums.petfinder.my/showthrea...2569#post22569

a behaviorist for our furry friend.. how cool is tat..
Old 12-24-2008, 03:58 PM
PetFinder Guru

Sashy is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the advice :)