Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Pet Welfare, Rescue & Adoption > Rescuers & Fosterers

Rescuers & Fosterers For rescuers and fosterers, the true heroes of PetFinder.my

Old 08-02-2009, 03:28 PM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation
Default BioArts International Clones 9-11 Hero Dog - Owner to Receive Five Cloned Puppies

CAPTION: Left, James Symington of Los Angeles holds five clones of Trakr, his late search-and-rescue dog, who found the last human survivor in the rubble of the 9/11 attacks. Symington received the clones for free after Trakr was judged the most "cloneworthy" dog in the world. Right, Lou Hawthorne, CEO of BioArts International of Mill Valley, California, whose company sponsored the Golden Clone Giveaway contest won by Symington in 2008 with an essay about Trakr's heroism. Not shown: Dr. Hwang Woo-Suk, who directed the team that produced the clones. Photo by Ben Glass. (PRNewsFoto/BioArts & Research, Ben Glass)
POST DATE: Jun/17/2009 5:02 AM
FORMAT: 9.0" x 6.0" @ 300 DPI (2700 x 1800 Color JPEG)
SPECIAL: SEE STORY 20090617/SF33909, SF Media contact: Steven Jay Rubin, +1-213-300-1896, or Ben Carlson, +1-415-497-9342, both for BioArts & Research.
Document: BIOARTS & RESEARCH TRAKR
Source: BIOARTS & RESEARCH
Caption Writer:

Ex-police officer and certified search & rescue manager won contest to clone beloved pet Trakr, hero of 9-11 rescue efforts

LOS ANGELES, June 17 /PRNewswire/ -- Can you clone a hero? Retired police officer James Symington, owner of the late search and rescue dog and 9-11 hero, Trakr, will receive five answers to that question on Wednesday June 17, 2009. BioArts International, a Northern California biotech company that is offering the first commercial dog cloning service in the world, will be presenting Symington with five puppies - perfect clones of Trakr - at a press conference Wednesday afternoon in Los Angeles.

(Photo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20090617/SF33909)

Symington won the "Golden Clone Giveaway" contest sponsored by BioArts International in 2008, by writing to the company and explaining why Trakr was an ideal candidate for cloning. The company's other dog cloning clients have paid an average of $144,000 to clone their canine pets, but Symington will receive his puppy clones of Trakr for free.

BioArts International holds the sole, worldwide license for the cloning of dogs, cats and endangered species, and is partnered with Sooam Biotech Research Foundation of South Korea, the world's foremost experts in canine cloning. The cloning of Trakr occurred at Sooam under the direction of Dr. Hwang Woo-Suk, who produced the world's first canine clone in 2005.

"We received many very touching submissions to our contest, describing some truly amazing dogs," says Lou Hawthorne, CEO of Bio Arts International. "But Trakr's story blew us away. His many remarkable capabilities were proven beyond all doubt in our nation's darkest hour - and we're proud to have cloned him successfully."

Trakr was credited with hundreds of arrests and recovered more than $1 million in stolen goods during his career as a police search-and-rescue dog. Symington, a police officer at the time of the Sept. 11 attacks, arrived with Trakr at Ground Zero as one of the first K9 search and rescue teams on the scene. There, under horrific conditions, Trakr located the last human survivor to be found in the rubble.

"Once in a lifetime, a dog comes along that not only captures the hearts of all he touches but also plays a private role in history," Symington wrote in his winning essay in the BioArts contest to find the world's most "cloneworthy dog."

For his heroic efforts, Trakr was presented with an extraordinary service to humanity award by Dr. Jane Goodall, United Nations "Messenger of Peace," and was featured in books and magazines dedicated to 9-11 heroes including Dog World and In the Line of Duty.

At an emotional first meeting with the Trakr clones on Sunday, June 14th, Symington observed, "They're identical - down to the smallest detail. Few dogs are born with exceptional abilities - Trakr was one of those dogs. And if these puppies have the same attributes as Trakr, I plan on putting them in to search and rescue so they can help people the way Trakr did."

In order to clone Trakr, Dr. Hwang's team replaced the genes in eggs from unrelated dogs with genes from Trakr, stimulated the resulting "couplets" to develop into embryos, then transferred the embryos to dogs who served as surrogate mothers. After normal pregnancies, they gave birth to puppies that are genetically identical to Trakr, the first of which was born December 8, 2008 and the last on April 4, 2009. All were born and weaned in Seoul, South Korea, and all are in excellent health.

"9-11 was a terrible shock for Korean people as well as Americans," said Dr. Hwang by email from Seoul, Korea. "These five clones of Trakr, who saved a human life at Ground Zero, are a gift not just to Mr. Symington, but to America and the world."

Other 9-11 rescue participants reacted positively to news of Trakr's cloning. Rick Cushman of Saugus, Massachusetts was a volunteer with the Massachusetts Emergency Measures Agency who drove to New York City following the 9-11 attacks to assist with rescue efforts. On the morning of September 12, Cushman was searching the same area as Symington and Trakr when Trakr hit upon the scent of a live person in the rubble.

"That hit led us to Genelle Guzman, the fifth and final survivor," said Cushman who helped pull the injured woman from the debris. "I am proud to have been involved in this rescue and proud to have worked alongside James and Trakr. If Trakr hadn't picked up her scent, we might not have known she was there. They helped save her life."

BioArts International is a biotech startup based in the San Francisco Bay Area, with primary scientific labs in Beijing, custom micro-engineering operations in London, and key scientific partnerships in Seoul, South Korea, and other areas.

SOURCE BioArts International

Source: PR Newswire

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:58 PM
Animal Lover

revo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: BioArts International Clones 9-11 Hero Dog - Owner to Receive Five Cloned Puppies

hmm...but cloning isnt always the best thing to do towards living animal..
actually by cloning, the pup tat is cloned actually hav the same genetic age wif the original dog, depend on how old the dog was...
meaning they will old when their young, die when their genetic time is up...
Old 08-02-2009, 10:16 PM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation
Default Re: BioArts International Clones 9-11 Hero Dog - Owner to Receive Five Cloned Puppies

for the news no much people do this clones for normal pet owner, Almost heard is from the working dog pass away, and need keep back the genetic telent quality, so they clone again the breed. at the moment have breed like golden at korea, GSD at USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revo View Post
hmm...but cloning isnt always the best thing to do towards living animal..
actually by cloning, the pup tat is cloned actually hav the same genetic age wif the original dog, depend on how old the dog was...
meaning they will old when their young, die when their genetic time is up...

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.