Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Pet Welfare, Rescue & Adoption > General Discussion

General Discussion General information and discuss on animal rescue, adoption and advocacy

Old 02-04-2010, 12:05 AM
User Account Terminated

Jeffrey Read is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tell-tale signs of a backyard breeder!!!

What do you think are the tell-tale signs of a backyard breeder?
It could be based on your gut-feeling, suspicions or hunch or perhaps even incriminating evidences etc.
There is no correct or incorrect answers but simply by sharing, I hope that it would help people avoid such unethical breeders in the future especially those in the dealing in the "pure bred" animals.

Last edited by Jeffrey Read; 02-04-2010 at 12:17 AM. Reason: for further clarification
Old 02-04-2010, 01:51 PM
Gentle Giant

Coony is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tell-tale signs of a backyard breeder!!!

This is a good subject raise. Some of these BYB are good in pretending to be anything except been a true pet lover. It's not all that hard to spot a BYB, if for one moment you think that the breeder is not honest & transparent call off the deal, it's good enough to know he is not sincere in what he is doing. An ethical & responsible breeder but not a BYB, don't breed their queen cat regularly, normally not involve in more then 2 or 3 breeds, don't breed mixed breed, don't supply their kitten to pet shop, mostly sell their cat spay/neuter, breeding cat only to carefully selected responsible ethical breeder, there are so many way to identify them & shud I state all of them here, it's like endless. Above is just some of the very basic & common sense thing tht you can tell if they are BYB. When you had make up your mind to buy the kitten from the breeder you must visit the cattery before you pay to see the condition of the parent & it's environment. Don't just trust the photo you see posted by breeder trying to sell them online. No deposit shud be paid until you see the actual thing & a visit to the breeder cattery.

Always remember this, breeding cannot be money making if you are really a pet lover. How can you make money if you don't breed them regularly, where can there be profit if you are giving them the best & most expensive food & care, your so call profit is draining off when you had to keep the kitten until 3 or 4 mths old & provide all necessary vaccination.

Example cost involve by a responsible ethical breeder. All breeding cats are tested for any possible genetic or inherited illness & disease, some of this test are to be done annually depending on certain breed & believe me it's never cheap. Pregnant Queen cats are scan & X-ray & at time C-sect is require when complication involve. These very basic requirement already cost you a bomb to breed.

BYB don't practice these things, they buy their breeding cat cheap from another BYB, sometime breeding cat consider too old from the previous breeder. Getting their cat test for any genetic or inherited illness, no way it's too expensive, mate the queen cat whenever she on heat & believe me she cud easily deliver 3 litters in a year. Most of the time or at all time they are living in cages with low grade food or maybe no proper cat litter provided. Becoz they always had a lot of cats & it not really their passion, bonding, caring & hygiene are minimum.

Best Maine Coon Cattery in CFA ID Asia/LA since 2004
The only Maine Coon cattery with 3 DM, 3 Top Ten MCO National & produce the most GC/GP (30) & DW (12) in CFA ID Asia/LA
Old 02-19-2010, 06:14 PM
Animal Lover

nasharuddinali is on a distinguished road

PAKCU USUAL PET SHOP AND CLINIC, Clinic tak berlesen, lagi ramai jadi mangsa!Inilah backyard breeder.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02818A.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	8901   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02827A.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	8902  
Old 02-20-2010, 07:36 AM
User Account Terminated

Jeffrey Read is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Coony for your indepth views into the world of cats. While I am more into dogs, pet ownership be it cat or dog or any other animal cannot be really that different.

I think the greatest virtue is patience. Over time when patience takes precedence over the impulse of ownership of a pet, only then can logic set in.

In fact over time, one will get to see and realize the tactics deployed by incompetent breeders who rakes in probably hundreds of thousands of $$$$ online.

That leads to another economic question, any logical new pet owner would naturally buy the lowest priced animal, which can only be offered by incompetent backyard breeder as compared to a real ethical breeder who is faced with mounting operating costs.

So naturally to reverse the craziness of the entire situation, correct education and a proper self-regulated mechanism be adopted not only for the benefit for pet owners themselves but more importantly for the animals themselves. It may sound impossible but if 1 were to really ponder over it, it may not be impossible at all. Perhaps When the Buying Stops Someday, so will the Unethical Breeding!

Last edited by Jeffrey Read; 02-20-2010 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Incomplete