Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens > Training & Behavioral Issues

Training & Behavioral Issues Does your cat have an attitude, or just simply refuses to listen to you? Share it with your peers here and learn more about a cat's behavior and training methods

Old 08-09-2010, 08:39 PM
PetFinder Guru

MidnightMaiden is on a distinguished road
Default My cat started to poo on mattress

Recently, I've decided to change to a wood pellet litter because I find that it controls the poo and pee odour better, plus it's not dusty. Now I know cats are very fussy and slow to adapt to change, so i made sure I introduced the new litter very gradually (add a bit of new wood litter to the old sand litter, and gradually add more of the new litter)

I am currently taking care of 13 cats & kittens (some my own, some fostered) and all of the cats & kittens have easily adapted to the new litter EXCEPT FOR ONE (he is my own cat).

This cat has not adapted at all - I've changed his litter very gradually - now its about 50% sand & 50% wood pellet..but...yesterday when i got home from work.. I found a lump of poo on my mattress!!!! (I was very surprised because in ALL MY YEARS of taking care of cats, not even ONCE have they ever poo outside of the litter! Even strays I pick up from the street immediately uses the litter tray without any training). So imagine my shock and dismay

So I thought maybe he just had an accident and it's a 1 time thing, so i frantically cleaned it up with an enzymatic cleaner.

Then today, when I got home, I found that he had left me THREE lumps of 'present' on the mattress --> 1 on pillow, one in the middle of mattress, 1 at the foot of mattress!!!

Yuck!!! Thank God this is the spare room mattress, but i've thrown away the pillow

Please forumers, I need your help. I can't be locking room doors forever in fear that he'll leave me more smelly presents. .. - So, should i just surrender & go back to the old sand litter for this cat? Should i start at the beginning and slowly re-introduce the new wood litter all over again? And how to stop him leaving me 'presents' at unexpected places in the meantime?

Help!
Old 08-09-2010, 08:51 PM
Animal Lover

PusaChomel is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My cat started to poo on mattress

how old is he? my female cat done this to show her rebellious side... especially when she's on heat.. after spayed, none of this happened.. lets wait what our seniors opinion...
Old 08-09-2010, 08:59 PM
PetFinder Guru

1 and 1/2 years. He's one of the most nervous out of all my cats.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:38 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Hi, Midnight Maiden --

I am sorry about your mattress -- UGH!

I did a lot of reading about this sort of thing when I tried to teach my cat to use the toilet with a Litter Kwitter. (The attempt failed, but that's another story...)

Cats really want to bury their waste to hide the scent from predators. This is their first choice. If for any reason they feel they cannot bury their feces -- like, for example, they just can't stand the new cat litter -- their next best option is to poo where they feel most safe and secure. And where is that? Most often, our beds.

It sounds like you did everything right in making the change from one litter to another -- mixing the two together gradually. But for whatever reason, this cat just can't bring himself to use the wood pellets.

In my case, Maneki was so panicked by the sight of the water in the toilet bowl that she held everything in as long as she could and then decided that my bed was the next best option. She was miserable, I was miserable. We returned to the litter tray with a type of litter that we could both live with.

I HATE having little pieces of clay litter tracked around the house. At the moment, I'm using silica litter (flushable, but a bit dusty). I'd like something more organic, so I'm still shopping around. In the end, though, it IS Maneki's toilet, after all, so she has the final say.

Yes, I think if you return to the clay litter he likes, your cat will happily return to using his litter tray. Maybe you can try some other types of litter until you find one that makes everyone happy?

Good luck!
Old 08-10-2010, 11:45 AM
PetFinder Guru

maris_sa528 is on a distinguished road

Hi Midnight Maiden...

I just would like to share that I have almost similar problem with your's and now am struggling with my cat rebellious action. Snowy just having her first on-heat period, if I am not mistaken since past 2 weeks. I heard when cat in her on-heat period, she might do something bad... but everything was fine, she still a good lil girl until one day I bring one cat back to my home.

The new cat(her name is Gay), was separated in other room from the first day because she have major problem with ear mites and minor problem with fungus. Mean no sharing litter box, no sharing food and drink bowl. Even Snowy only meet her once.

But on first day Gay lived in my house, Snowy start peed on my bed. 3 times in a day! Yesterday, she poo at my kitchen floor. And this morning again she pee on my bed + poo inside my laundry basket.

I never change the litter sand. I never change anything inside the house except only the existence of new cat, Gay.

Hohohohohoho.. Dun know what else to do except keep my bedroom's door close. BTW, good luck to us,
Old 08-10-2010, 12:04 PM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road

Girls, I've been there and done that It seems my late Coklat were very stubborn and flatly refuse to use wood pellet litter. She poo on my bed, in the sink (if I lock the bedroom door) and on the rug I have to endure this for about 2 weeks until I have enough of poo and pee everywhere in the house. Finally, I use our usual litter sand

MM, u may want to try flushable woody. This is an alternative to wood pellet. I'm using it now and my cats are very happy.

BTW, blh beli dari kak Nurul this Flushable woody. Rupa mcm makanan ayam. Harga RM75 per karung (25kg) klu tak salahlah. Lupa pricing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maris_sa528 View Post
Hi Midnight Maiden...

I just would like to share that I have almost similar problem with your's and now am struggling with my cat rebellious action. Snowy just having her first on-heat period, if I am not mistaken since past 2 weeks. I heard when cat in her on-heat period, she might do something bad... but everything was fine, she still a good lil girl until one day I bring one cat back to my home.

The new cat(her name is Gay), was separated in other room from the first day because she have major problem with ear mites and minor problem with fungus. Mean no sharing litter box, no sharing food and drink bowl. Even Snowy only meet her once.

But on first day Gay lived in my house, Snowy start peed on my bed. 3 times in a day! Yesterday, she poo at my kitchen floor. And this morning again she pee on my bed + poo inside my laundry basket.

I never change the litter sand. I never change anything inside the house except only the existence of new cat, Gay.

Hohohohohoho.. Dun know what else to do except keep my bedroom's door close. BTW, good luck to us,
Old 08-10-2010, 01:25 PM
Animal Lover

mieraonepj is on a distinguished road

kelakar pun ade simpatipun ada bile baca kisah u ni. my new kitten dulupun memula mcm tu gak. dia poo n pee atas lantai dlm bilik. what i do is i masukkan dlm cage seminggu dgn pasir dia. setiap hari bersihkan bekas dia tu pastu lelama ok dah. but i tak pernah simply2 lepas dalam umah. kalau i keje i masukkan dlm bilik. so dia hanya akan poo n pee dlm pasir jek.. balik keje i cuci kaki dia baru bleh main dlm umah.. now kalau dia poo n pee sepah2 i basuh muke dia heheheheh gerammmm heheheh... tapi sayang... but now takdelah dia poo sepah2.. dah jadi budak baik...
Old 08-10-2010, 01:43 PM
~feline attaché

nurkasih is on a distinguished road

Me having the same problem also.. i tukar dari pasir ke wood base.. tapi I have to have 3 litter boxes for 3 cats as they won't reuse the one being used. And poo and pee everywhere.. And woody type requires more maintanence.. now, I try to mix up pasir and wood base to get them back on their track wanting them to accept woody litter. After 2 months I am still working on it and there's one cat which is very stubborn.. Will each time poo and pee on his bedding
Old 08-10-2010, 01:56 PM
Animal Lover

Kasih,kenapa kucing ko tak nak wood base?? akak pakai flushable woody,bamboo litter and white woody durang ok.tp yg jenis pellet some cats in the house tak suka including Coklat. Tp shredded paper dia ok pula

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurkasih View Post
Me having the same problem also.. i tukar dari pasir ke wood base.. tapi I have to have 3 litter boxes for 3 cats as they won't reuse the one being used. And poo and pee everywhere.. And woody type requires more maintanence.. now, I try to mix up pasir and wood base to get them back on their track wanting them to accept woody litter. After 2 months I am still working on it and there's one cat which is very stubborn.. Will each time poo and pee on his bedding
Old 08-10-2010, 02:05 PM
~feline attaché

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
Kasih,kenapa kucing ko tak nak wood base?? akak pakai flushable woody,bamboo litter and white woody durang ok.tp yg jenis pellet some cats in the house tak suka including Coklat. Tp shredded paper dia ok pula
3 ekor okay ja, even yang kittens baru pun okay, kenal woody type dulu.... yang sekor tueh, si Boy.. dah berbulan da.. dia still tak mahu.. sekarang 2 bekas wood, 1 bekas pasir.. kalau tak, nak mencuci lah pulak
Old 08-10-2010, 02:21 PM
PetFinder Guru

Nur_illiyana is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
BTW, blh beli dari kak Nurul this Flushable woody. Rupa mcm makanan ayam. Harga RM75 per karung (25kg) klu tak salahlah. Lupa pricing.
Kak June,
betul rm75 for 25kg.. patah pinggang yana angkut last weekend..

Kasih dan MidnightMaiden,
just my 2 cent, cuba kurung diorang dalam sangkar dengan litter box yg ada wood pallet..
That's what my mum did.. Macam paksa diorang poo and pee dlm litter tu..
mungkin bunyi kejam sikit tp kalau berjaya, berbaloi..
cuma cadangan dr sy yg masih belajar tentang kucing.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:27 PM
Animal Lover

Sebenarnya all cats are toilet train. Tp bila saya tukar jenis clay ke wood pellet ada yg protest dan berak/kencing merata.Ada yg terima dan membuang as usual. So I have to find satu solution for all cats. Tak sanggup pakai clay coz berdebu dan cepat mengotorkan lantai. So akhirnya dpt yg wood base dan bamboo base.Mmg cukup memuaskan. Kucing happy saya pun happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mieraonepj View Post
kelakar pun ade simpatipun ada bile baca kisah u ni. my new kitten dulupun memula mcm tu gak. dia poo n pee atas lantai dlm bilik. what i do is i masukkan dlm cage seminggu dgn pasir dia. setiap hari bersihkan bekas dia tu pastu lelama ok dah. but i tak pernah simply2 lepas dalam umah. kalau i keje i masukkan dlm bilik. so dia hanya akan poo n pee dlm pasir jek.. balik keje i cuci kaki dia baru bleh main dlm umah.. now kalau dia poo n pee sepah2 i basuh muke dia heheheheh gerammmm heheheh... tapi sayang... but now takdelah dia poo sepah2.. dah jadi budak baik...
Old 08-10-2010, 02:29 PM
Animal Lover

Akak angkut 4 karung.Tak larat nak angkat ke 3rd floor unit akak,panggil Bangla cleaner/maintenance utk angkat.Bagi RM15 Suami akak kata, selamat pinggang aku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nur_illiyana View Post
Kak June,

just my 2 cent, cuba kurung diorang dalam sangkar dengan litter box yg ada wood pallet..
Old 08-10-2010, 02:49 PM
~feline attaché

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nur_illiyana View Post
Kak June,

Iliyana, memang diornag dalam cage besar diorang..yet dia membuang kat bedding dia..each time! bila I pergi nak cuci litter box, nampak si Boy duduk nun hujuuunggg cage tueh.. nampak sangat dia buat lagi.. I paksa dia, tapi dia paksa I cuci dah dekat puloh kali.. I pun dah tak tahu nak buat apa..letaklah sikit pasir..

tambah : tapi seronok tengok 7 kitties tue pandai pakai wood base litter.. (^^)..
Old 08-10-2010, 02:53 PM
PetFinder Guru

Bestnye banyak tips.. Saya pakai Aussie Cat litter sand dari dulu sbb clumping dia bersih and wangi(apple aroma.... ). Process pembersihan pun rasa mudah, kucing saya sepah-sepahkan pun taklah sepah sgt sbb pasir2 dia halus, and nak mop lantai pun senang sbb dia mudah hancur bila kena air. paling penting tak la mahal sgt untuk saya. Haha.

Actually kucing2 saya tak pernah ada masalah selama ni, semua hidup dengan tertib adab walaupun tak berkurung, takde plak nak berak rata2. kecuali sekarang je Snowy over2 buat perangai balas dendam dalam diam (T_T). Waaaa..... *stress

Rasanya sekejap je kot, once I nanti mix her with the new cat, everything maybe come back to normal... *i punya assumption la <Praying>
Old 08-10-2010, 07:30 PM
PetFinder Guru

Hehe thanks all for sharing. Hehe rasa kelakar pun ada, geram pun ada

Today I added more sand to the wood pellet litter...so far so good.. (but I've closed my room doors just in case) I might try one more time to gradually get him to accept the wood pellet, if not then I might try the flushable woody yg Kak June suggested. I think he doesn't like the texture of the pellets on his (konon-kononnya delicate)feet so maybe trhe flushable woody would work.

If not...back to old litter for him lah (or dare I try Litter Kwitter like Maneki...)

Wish me luck, and for those who are facing the same problem...I feel ya..

Ps Maris, i read that when cats are stressed with new arrivals, they might stop using their litter box as well. Hopefully everything would go back to normal once u guys settle down to old routine and she gets used to the new cat
Old 08-10-2010, 09:19 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Dear MM,

As I wrote earlier, my attempt to train Maneki to use the toilet with the Litter Kwitter did not succeed -- she was simply too terrified of the water in the bowl.

I believe it can work for some cats, especially if you are willing to proceed slowly through the stages. If you're using flushable litter, you've already made the first step!

Maneki only used one part of the Litter Kwitter. I cleaned that thoroughly when we gave up () and it's been sitting in a corner ever since then. If you would like to try it, let me know, and I'll pass the Litter Kwitter to you. It's like new -- got all the original booklets, DVD, etc. Someone may as well get some benefit from it! **sigh**

:-)
Old 08-10-2010, 09:59 PM
~feline attaché

~deleted as it is duplicate~
Old 08-10-2010, 09:59 PM
~feline attaché

Quote:
Originally Posted by maris_sa528 View Post
Bestnye banyak tips.. Saya pakai Aussie Cat litter sand dari dulu sbb clumping dia bersih and wangi(apple aroma.... ). Process pembersihan pun rasa mudah, kucing saya sepah-sepahkan pun taklah sepah sgt sbb pasir2 dia halus, and nak mop lantai pun senang sbb dia mudah hancur bila kena air. paling penting tak la mahal sgt untuk saya. Haha.

Actually kucing2 saya tak pernah ada masalah selama ni, semua hidup dengan tertib adab walaupun tak berkurung, takde plak nak berak rata2. kecuali sekarang je Snowy over2 buat perangai balas dendam dalam diam (T_T). Waaaa..... *stress

Rasanya sekejap je kot, once I nanti mix her with the new cat, everything maybe come back to normal... *i punya assumption la <Praying>
We are in the attempt of changing litter anyway as normal litter is harmful to both human and cats after a long period of time.... read on..
Old 08-10-2010, 11:11 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurkasih View Post
We are in the attempt of changing litter anyway as normal litter is harmful to both human and cats after a long period of time.... read on..