Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies

Dogs & Puppies General information and discussions on taking care of your canine buddy

Old 11-19-2010, 04:34 PM
Animal Lover

kavien is on a distinguished road
Exclamation need help to prevent my dog afraid from thunder and fireworks

hi can any1 suggest me how to prevent my dog from fear of thunder and fireworks,serious need help plz
Old 11-19-2010, 10:16 PM
PetFinder Buddy

aina.mj is on a distinguished road
Default Re: need help to prevent my dog afraid from thunder and fireworks

hai kavien..try google FELIWAY product...i try feliway diffuser for my cats and it work like miracle..but it does take time for it to work.u can buy the product at pet safari(the curve).rm143.oo per bottle that last for 30 days as i keep it on 24/7.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:15 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavien View Post
hi can any1 suggest me how to prevent my dog from fear of thunder and fireworks,serious need help plz
Hi, Kavien --

Two things that I have found successful:

1. Give the dog a "safe" place to hide. A crate, a cupboard -- anywhere that is enclosed, and ideally in a relatively quiet place, sheltered as much from the light and noise as possible.

2. Try to distract your dog during mild thunderstorms with play, grooming, treats, etc. Basically, do anything to convince your dog that thunder is nothing to fear and maybe can even be associated with pleasurable things (affection, food, etc.)

This is from www.paw-rescue.org:

What You Can Do to Help
Create a Safe Place: Try to create a safe place for your dog to go to when she hears the noises that frighten her. But remember, this must be a safe location from her perspective, not yours. Notice where she goes, or tries to go, when she's frightened, and if at all possible, give her access to that place. If she's trying to get under your bed, give her access to your bedroom.

You can also create a "hidey hole" that is dark, small, and shielded from the frightening sound as much as possible. Encourage her to go there when you're home and the thunder or other noise occurs. Consider using a fan or radio near the spot to help block out the sound. Feed her in that location and help your dog associate that spot with other "good things" happening to her there. She must be able to come and go from this location freely. Confining her in the "hidey hole" when she doesn't want to be there will only cause more problems. The "safe place" approach may work with some dogs, but not all. Some dogs are motivated to move and be active when frightened and "hiding out" won't help them feel less fearful.

Distract Your Dog: This method works best when your dog is just beginning to get anxious. Encourage her to engage in any activity that captures her attention and distracts her from behaving fearfully. Start when she first alerts you to the noise and is not yet showing a lot of fearful behavior, but is only watchful. Immediately try to interest her in doing something that she really enjoys. Get out the tennis ball and play fetch (in an escape-proof area), or practice some commands that she knows. Reward her with praise and treats for paying attention to the game or the commands.

As the storm or other noise builds, you may not be able to keep her attention on the activity, but it might delay the start of the fearful behavior for longer and longer each time you do it. If you can't keep her attention and she begins acting fearfully, stop the process. If you continue, you may inadvertently reinforce her fearful behavior.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:29 PM
Animal Lover

thank u so much for your help
Old 11-24-2010, 10:23 AM
Animal Lover

feltan is on a distinguished road

Kavien,
To understand your dog better, you should watch the show Dog Whisperer by Ceasar Millan.
He is a dog behaviorist. The show is very entertaning and educational for dog lover. I have more that 100 episodes of DW from season 1 to season 6. The shows cover almost all the dog behaviour issues from aggression, fear, too active, too lazy, eating problem etc.
I am not selling anything here. If you interested I can burn the DVDs fro you and you just have to exchange the same number of blank DVDs back to me that is all. Just PM me.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:29 PM
Animal Lover

alrite bro how many dvd should i exchange 2u
Old 11-24-2010, 10:32 PM
Animal Lover

bro how do i get 2u