PetFinder.my

PetFinder.my (https://forums.petfinder.my/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.petfinder.my/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   A few thoughts on unwanted animals and how to solve the problem (https://forums.petfinder.my/showthread.php?t=5665)

aliciahorsley 05-12-2011 02:44 PM

A few thoughts on unwanted animals and how to solve the problem

We've been doing the whole 'rescuing' animals things for a while and over the years we've learned a few things. Before I share, please realize I mean no offence to anyone and these are merely my opinions.

Firstly, the word 'rescuing' is in itself somewhat inappropriate. Over the years, I've come to see that not all animals need saving. They are perfectly content to roam and hunt, play and rest, mingle and take their chances with other less friendly cats etc. However, this natural life also leads to breeding and unwanted kittens. As a mother myself, it's hard for me to see mummy cats being chased by amorous males and kittens, starving and ill, killed by territorial males or stray dogs. Aging toms sporting cauliflower ears and mange also pull at my heart strings. We don't intervene to rescue them but because we can do a little something to help.

Secondly, not all animals want our help. When we first started, we idealistically imagined finding loving homes for every last cat. We soon learned that while we can neuter every animals that has the luck (or misfortune as some may see it) to cross our path, some are meant to return to the streets for either extreme fear of people or just general inability to live in close proximity with so many other cats. Before we were willing to accept what the animals wanted to teach us, we suffered stressed cats, a few noisy quarrels and sleepless nights trying to conjure money from thin air to finance our obstinance. Now, we know that we can only do so much and taking our cues from the individual cats is as important as doing the right thing.

Finally, try not to criticize what someone else is doing especially when you know their intentions are good. Unless you can do it better for them. To sit and moan is to lose hope. Every individual life means something. While I don''t recommend remortgaging your property to save one animal, common sense being a much beloved trait of mine, every little bit counts.

Hence, if every concerned person once a year, instead of bemoaning the sad fate of the starving kitten, picked it up and paid for some basic medical care, a microchip and a desexing operation (at worst spending around RM200), things would pick up pretty quickly. And if said people did this twice a year, the positive impact would be doubled. I am so positive that individuals are what will turn the tide and I wish more would get started.

If we then combine this effort with a little record keeping (say an online catalogue) we could measure our efforts and maybe even impress city councils into supporting their people and not negating our efforts by culling strays.

What can I say? I'm an optimist :)

Joey'A 05-13-2011 01:13 AM

Re: A few thoughts on unwanted animals and how to solve the problem

This is good!! totally agree!!!

Well done Ashley!!

mimipurr 07-05-2011 05:08 PM

Re: A few thoughts on unwanted animals and how to solve the problem

Well written!! Agree. But Malaysians will be Malaysians the fav words kesian...then followed by nothing. Just visited this website after so long. Notice the lack of response to this post??
Anyway your post is a great read!