PetFinder.my

PetFinder.my (https://forums.petfinder.my/index.php)
-   Cats & Kittens (https://forums.petfinder.my/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Domestic Cats and Their Colours and patterns - Part One (https://forums.petfinder.my/showthread.php?t=762)

ashleywong 08-22-2008 09:06 AM

Domestic Cats and Their Colours and patterns - Part One

Hi All

today some fun info for all concerning our fav furkids...their colourations and patterns....

Color Patterns

Cats, both pedigreed and domestic, come in a rainbow of colors and patterns. These are all a matter of genetics, so a calico mother might give birth in one litter to calico, tabby, and solid or bi-colored kittens, depending on her genetic background and the background of the male cat(s) that fathered the litter. Cats, come in three basic colors: red (commonly called "orange," or sometimes affectionately referred to as "ginger," or "marmelade"), black, and white. Common patterns include:

* Tabbies
Tabby cats constitute the oldest and most common pattern seen, and are one of the most popular. They are easily differentiated by their stripes, whorls, and spots, (generally found on their tummies) Striped tabbies are often referred to as "tiger," for obvious reasons. They are also known as "mackerel tabbies." The round bulls-eye marking on a tabby, identifies it as a "classic" tabby. While spotted tabbies sometimes crop up in "barn cats," they are also found in breeds, such as the Ocicat and the American Bobtail.

Tabbies may also wear white "accessories," such as a bib, vest, or "boots." Thus, they would be described as "tabby with white."

* Solids

Solid colored cats come in four basic colors, plus "dilute" colors of each.

Note : Excerpt from Fanny Syufy's articles at Http://cats.about.com. For full article as well as other use information on cats, please visit the site.

lynielime 08-22-2008 09:10 AM

Re: Domestic Cats and Their Colours and patterns - Part One

another fun fact: calicos are always female!!!

ashleywong 08-22-2008 03:50 PM

hi lynie

actually no - my vet says her cat is a calico but male but mandul punye male.. {shy}

lynielime 08-22-2008 04:06 PM

ahhh... yes you're right!! but male calicos are very rare. so your vet's male calico is very special!! He's got two X chromosomes and one Y.. XXY!!! umm does that make him half female? {shy}

ashleywong 08-22-2008 04:10 PM

that's the joke at the vet...

June 08-22-2008 04:23 PM

True ashley,I still remember I had male calico cat when I was about 14 or 15.but he was cacat cat.mute.never meowing until his final breath.he meow once and that was it.very sad moment. I can still remember we cried when he died.We mean myself,my mum and my 3 sisters.whoa!! drama, man.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashleywong (Post 5897)
hi lynie

actually no - my vet says her cat is a calico but male but mandul punye male.. {shy}

Lyn_Cat 08-24-2008 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by June (Post 5909)
True ashley,I still remember I had male calico cat when I was about 14 or 15.but he was cacat cat.mute.never meowing until his final breath.he meow once and that was it.very sad moment. I can still remember we cried when he died.We mean myself,my mum and my 3 sisters.whoa!! drama, man.

Aku tau... pelakon air mata terbaik masa tu sis June... wakakakakak kalah neng yatimah... {shy}

June 08-24-2008 05:04 PM

Woi!! byklah ko punya neng yatimah.wakakakakakakak!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lyn_Cat (Post 6137)
Aku tau... pelakon air mata terbaik masa tu sis June... wakakakakak kalah neng yatimah... {shy}