PetFinder.my

PetFinder.my (https://forums.petfinder.my/index.php)
-   Cats & Kittens (https://forums.petfinder.my/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   cat litter (https://forums.petfinder.my/showthread.php?t=6935)

ygjau 11-14-2012 11:46 PM

cat litter

I have 2 kitties 7 months old. I have problem with the litter box that the amount of pee is too much and consume litter about 1/3 of the volume. I have tried putting newspaper underneath. Still it is not so effective.
Any one got idea?

Maneki Neko 11-15-2012 07:30 AM

Re: cat litter

Quote:

Originally Posted by ygjau (Post 101442)
I have 2 kitties 7 months old. I have problem with the litter box that the amount of pee is too much and consume litter about 1/3 of the volume. I have tried putting newspaper underneath. Still it is not so effective.
Any one got idea?

I recommend getting a 2nd litter box.

Also, are you using clumping clay litter? You might consider switching your cats over to pine pellets, as they tend to last longer and are flushable. I've found them more economical, and I like that there are no chemicals, just pine. It took a while for my cats to get used to them, though. I had to make the change slowly, placing a thin layer pine pellets underneath their old type of litter. After a week of that, I started increasing the amount of pine pellets and decreasing the amount of the old litter until they accepted the pine.

Finally, you'll get the most out of the pine pellets if you invest in a 2-part litter tray, which has a grid in the bottom of the upper half. To clean, just scoop the poop out of the top part. When the pellets have absorbed as much urine as they can, they fall apart, and the sawdust drifts down to the bottom part. From there, you just put it into the toilet and flush. {good} These trays are about RM50, if I recall, but they pay for themselves with the amount of litter you save. {good} Good luck!

aidamd 11-15-2012 04:59 PM

yea, like maneki said, pine pellets or woody will save u in long term. but jus buy in small amount first cause soe cats, like mine, started to dev fungus ever since i change to pellets , even though i change their litter everyday. but if it suits wt ur cats, then i highly recommend u get the double layer litter box coz its more hygienic.

ygjau 11-21-2012 11:05 PM

thank you for the suggestion. After using pine pallet litter, it became much better although i haven't buy 2 layer litter box.

Felix The Cat 11-22-2012 09:45 AM

I prefer using OKO Plus litter which is also made from wood. Instead of turning into dust when in contact with the cats urine, it will clump. Its not messy, very economical, flushable and less tracking compared to the pine wood which I have used before. When using the pine wood, I had to wash the litter box literally 2 times in a week however with OKO plus I only wash it once in two weeks. Oko plus is also odor control and after changing to Oko Plus I will never look at any other litter again. {good}

ygjau 11-22-2012 09:08 PM

out of the topic; how come cat litter can cost more than rice that human eat? {sick}

Maneki Neko 11-22-2012 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ygjau (Post 101500)
out of the topic; how come cat litter can cost more than rice that human eat? {sick}

Actually, that's still quite part of the topic! I see you have discovered why we don't all use OKO plus. ;-)

ygjau 11-22-2012 11:11 PM

haha, yes i just found out the price. It is too much, for all other brand as well. Imagine using 10kg of rice for cat to litter {sick}. On the other way, we also can't explain why mineral water cost more than petrol.

ygjau 11-22-2012 11:19 PM

No offend, Felix. thank you for sharing. Now I know what is the best product.

Maneki Neko 11-23-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ygjau (Post 101503)
No offend, Felix. thank you for sharing. Now I know what is the best product.

Everyone I know who has ever used OKO Plus says it's wonderful, and their cats all seem to love it, too. I also agree with Felix the Cat -- it's probably the best litter on the market, but it is costly. As one of my friends remarked, "When my cats get jobs, they can buy whatever litter they choose, but as long as my husband is paying the bills, it won't be OKO Plus..." {sick}