PetFinder.my

PetFinder.my (https://forums.petfinder.my/index.php)
-   Training & Behavioral Issues (https://forums.petfinder.my/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   My cat doesn't want to drink water (https://forums.petfinder.my/showthread.php?t=4311)

lisachs 05-05-2010 11:06 AM

My cat doesn't want to drink water

Hie there, I really need help asap as my 11 month old cat does not like to drink water. Hence, she always have problem urinating. I have taken her to see the vet and she said that I need to make my cat drink enough water everyday. I tried all kinds of methods including feeding her using the syringe but still not good enough. Sigh...can anyone help me, please{catcry}

blackie007 05-05-2010 11:20 AM

Re: My cat doesn't want to drink water

1 Attachment(s)
1. Try placing more bowls of water around the house. Cats pay attention to unusual things, so try putting various types and shapes of dishes/bowls filled with water around the house, and in unusual places, like behind the sofa, under the sofa.....you get the idea. There're more chances your cat will be tempted to try the water if she keeps 'bumping' into them.

2. Try distilled drinking water. My cats prefer that to reverse osmosis water and they absolutely detest mineral water.

3. Try running water from the tap if your water is filtered in your home (don't attempt it if your water is not filtered). One of my cats simply love to jump up onto the kitchen sink, turn on the tap himself (it's those handle levers) and drinks from the running water. http://blackie007.blogspot.com/2009/...ed-handed.html

Or, get those fountain bowls (picture attached below).

4. Try adding flavour to the water.....sometimes I add a bit of tuna juice to give variety.

Good luck.

lisachs 05-05-2010 11:58 AM

Thanks for the info, blackie007. I'll follow your suggestions and see whether it works or not. Finger crossed, hope it'll work.{catwink}
Btw, where can I get the fountain bowls? And how much does it costs?

Maneki Neko 05-05-2010 01:57 PM

Hi, Lisachs --

I agree with what Blackie007 suggested, especially about trying different types of containers.

My neighbours' cat prefers to drink out of glasses. Yes, really -- people's drinking glasses! They discovered this when they left a glass of water next to their bed & heard the cat drinking from it during the night. {sick} Now he has his very own drinking glasses. :-)

Also, many cats prefer their water to be far away from their food bowls. Try placing the water at different places in your house.

Good luck!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisachs (Post 80372)
Thanks for the info, blackie007. I'll follow your suggestions and see whether it works or not. Finger crossed, hope it'll work.{catwink}

June 05-05-2010 02:23 PM

My cat doesn't want to drink water

Amanda,my cats flatly refused drinking from the bowl.They demand their drinks serve in the big baldi/pail. {ohmygod}{ohmygod} 03 cats demand the others follow suit. {ohmygod}{ohmygod}

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maneki Neko (Post 80379)
Hi, Lisachs --

I agree with what Blackie007 suggested, especially about trying different types of containers.

My neighbours' cat prefers to drink out of glasses. Yes, really -- people's drinking glasses! They discovered this when they left a glass of water next to their bed & heard the cat drinking from it during the night. {sick} Now he has his very own drinking glasses. :-)

Also, many cats prefer their water to be far away from their food bowls. Try placing the water at different places in your house.

Good luck!

lisachs 05-05-2010 03:15 PM

Wow, drinking from glass? And baldi? That's really cute leh... And I never thought to place the food bowl far away from the water bowl. I wonder why cats prefer it that way eh?

Well, thanks Maneki Neko and June, for the guidance and info...really appreciate it {wink}

nurkasih 05-05-2010 04:29 PM

by putting water n food aside each other, we define it as convenient but they define it as crowded i guess..{wink}

lisachs 05-05-2010 04:53 PM

Oh, I see... maybe there's some truth in it. Well it doesnt hurt to give it a try {grin} Maybe they will like the new arrangement... Thanks ya Nurkasih

blackie007 05-05-2010 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisachs (Post 80372)

I don't remember where I saw it, but you can try ebay or amazon. There are many different types, with some like one of those chocolate fountains you see at hotel restaurants.

lisachs 05-06-2010 04:27 PM

Thanks Blackie007, I'll scout around and see how it goes...

DuchessNin 07-02-2010 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by June (Post 80380)
Amanda,my cats flatly refused drinking from the bowl.They demand their drinks serve in the big baldi/pail. {ohmygod}{ohmygod} 03 cats demand the others follow suit. {ohmygod}{ohmygod}

Hahaha.. mine too. If not from the pail, then off the balcony floor after my maid waters the plants or cleans the tiles {sick}

DuchessNin 07-02-2010 10:12 AM

why is it so hard for cats to drink :P we're more worried abt it than they are LOL

nurkasih 07-02-2010 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuchessNin (Post 84079)
why is it so hard for cats to drink :P we're more worried abt it than they are LOL

have you tried blackie's suggestions?

DuchessNin 07-02-2010 02:23 PM

Not yet, but i will soon, esp. the tuna juice method :)

lisachs 07-02-2010 04:50 PM

Hie DuchessNin, yeah u shud try Blackie007's suggestion, it worked for me {good}{good}

I put so many water containers every where around the house and guess what, Allie chose the one just right outside my bedroom and now it has become everyone's drinking bowl {wink}{wink}