PetFinder.my

PetFinder.my (https://forums.petfinder.my/index.php)
-   Health, Disease & Diet (https://forums.petfinder.my/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Deworming your cat.... necessary? (https://forums.petfinder.my/showthread.php?t=6637)

Casis 05-31-2012 10:05 AM

Deworming your cat.... necessary?

Is this really necessary?? I just notice that I was supposed to bring my cat to vet 3 months ago and I forgot about it. He is healthy, neutered and got his final vaccination, last year.

I was thinking to do it by myself rather than bring to vet for each of worming session. So, how often should I do it? Any specified medicine that I need to buy?

Appreciate your view. Thanks a lot! {victory}

Rayquaza17 05-31-2012 06:15 PM

Re: Deworming your cat.... necessary?

I guess is necessary if you don't want your cat to infect with worms which will lead you to bring her to vet etc. You can buy deworm med at vet and feed it to your cat :)

I usually do that too. Buy from vet then feed myself at home.{happy}

Maneki Neko 05-31-2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casis (Post 100234)
Is this really necessary?? I just notice that I was supposed to bring my cat to vet 3 months ago and I forgot about it. He is healthy, neutered and got his final vaccination, last year.

I was thinking to do it by myself rather than bring to vet for each of worming session. So, how often should I do it? Any specified medicine that I need to buy?

Hi, Casis -- you mention that your cat got his 'final' vaccination a year ago. There is a lot of debate about how often cats should be vaccinated. Many vets now think that annual vaccination is too often, that every 2-3 years is sufficient. Some boarding facilities, however, still require proof of annual vaccination. Regardless, your cat's vaccinations will not remain effective throughout his lifetime. You should probably have a chat with your vet or do some research on-line to figure out how often you need to re-vaccinate to keep your cat protected.

I'm not sure what to say about your de-worming question, including whether or not you can buy the de-wormer from pet shops. If your cat goes outdoors, I would most certainly suggest worming him every year.

Speaking for myself, I take my cats to the vet once a year just for an annual physical and check-up. Yes, they seem healthy enough, but the vet checks the ears, mouth, teeth, and other things that I can't get a good look at. It seems like a small investment in their health and my peace of mind. :-)

Casis 05-31-2012 08:33 PM

I was Looking at his medical record, his final vaccine shot and deworm was on 26.11.2011 about 6mths ago. Then he was scheduled for deworming on 26.02.2012. But I missed it.

So I'm thinking that I want to buy the medicine from pet shops and do it by myself. But I don't know how frequent I need to do it.

Maneki Neko 06-01-2012 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casis (Post 100244)
I was Looking at his medical record, his final vaccine shot and deworm was on 26.11.2011 about 6mths ago. Then he was scheduled for deworming on 26.02.2012. But I missed it.

So I'm thinking that I want to buy the medicine from pet shops and do it by myself. But I don't know how frequent I need to do it.

Ah, I'm sorry -- I misunderstood the timing question! For what it's worth, my vets de-worm my indoor cats once a year. {good}

Casis 06-03-2012 03:56 PM

hmm.. I think once a year is alright. I'll do that soon. Thanks for the advice. {wink}

jouhari 08-11-2012 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casis (Post 100234)

yes, My pet shop guy said once in 3 months. cost about rm6 if you feed it yourself. You can get the pill feeder thing too to make you life easier.