View Single Post
Old 04-08-2011, 08:13 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rascal didn't deserve this! Pjud@Hafizuddin, this one concerns YOU!

Vee20, my deepest sympathies go to you and to Rascal. No, no cat deserves his fate, but please know that you did everything possible to find him a safe, loving home. I remember your heroic rescue mission when an earlier adoption went wrong () -- I know you go all out for the cats you rescue.

A few months ago, I was working at an adoption table at a cat show. We had a few rescued DSH cats there for adoption. One man strolled by and expressed interest in one of the cats. My colleague asked the man if he had any former experience with keeping cats. Oh yes! he replied. He'd had 3 cats before, but they had all fallen off his balcony and died. Now he was looking for a 4th cat. And no, he had not taken any steps to secure his balcony, and in fact, he seemed startled when my colleague suggested it. I guess he figured that sooner or later, he'd find a cat with better balance or less curiosity.

I don't know what the answer is for people like this. It's not possible to teach someone who just does not care. We can say that pets are living, thinking, feeling creatures -- not toys to be carelessly thrown away -- but does it sink into their heads?

Will someone please tell me, if you don't care whether the animal lives or dies, why adopt in the first place? Any thoughts, pjud?