View Single Post
Old 12-27-2008, 11:32 AM
PetFinder Guru

mrsdolittle is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A dog needs a loving home & family asap

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie007 View Post
Hi Mrs Dolittle,

So sorry I only read this today. How is Stripes now? Has his temperature dropped yet?

BTW, what is tick fever? I've never heard of it before. Do you mean the ticks bit him until he developed fever? Or the ticks had fever and passed it to him? My apologies for sounding naive and stupid.

May the Force be with Stripes. *sending positive thoughts to Stripes*
Thanks for your good thoughts Blackie... you were always there for us.

Tick Fever is caused by bacteria call "ehrlichiosis". Stripes got it from SPCA i guess. Well thats the risk we have to take sending a dog to a pound. Lucky thing was it is an early stage and he could be cured, but has to be on antibiotics for about 8 weeks. Even though he will still be a carrier after recovery. Which means, any ticks sucking on his blood and crawl to another dog or human, will be infected.

Should this be serious it could affect the liver, neurological function and it could be fatal.

This is common among dogs and should not be panicked. All we have to do is to make sure that all our pets are ticks free, apply the frontline and a tick bath once a month.

He is now being treated in a clinic and under a close observation for recovery progress. So far, it has not infected any part of the inner body part.

He is doing well and such a happy and playful dog.

Thanks again for asking Blackie. Happy new year to you and Baby Hippo.

Send my love to your family.

...THE DAY I KNOW THE MEANING OF TRUE LOVE, LOYALTY, TRUST AND FRIENDSHIP...
...TIGER IN MEMORY...

Last edited by mrsdolittle; 12-27-2008 at 04:15 PM.