View Single Post
Old 11-10-2008, 11:23 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

AndyKoh has disabled reputation
Default Re: Dog Cruelty By MPSJ

Paying commissions to outsourced dog catchers must be strongly condemned and abolished. These are conscious lives we are talking about, not some commodity or disposable item.

It is absolutely absurd, and is like having the police outsource their tasks of catching thieves to other people and granting them commission per thief caught, while the authorities themselves sit back and relax.

What will result is an abuse of power by the outsourced parties and irresponsible, negligent approaches in meeting the objectives for the sake of monetary benefits.

If they are under-resourced and must absolutely outsource it, then they should at least work with the animal shelters directly - pay SPCA or PAWS to hire more teams to safely and humanely capture the strays. The animals would be in much safer hands. In fact, to take it a step further, the dog pounds should be managed like animals shelters, where animals are being decently treated and try their best to give these animals a second lease of life.

If I had the resources (and connections), I would definitely reorganize the management and regulations in these dog pounds, enacting strict animal welfare policies, funding them to properly manage the captured strays, impose a longer holding duration before animals are put to sleep, find adopters for them, and transport some of the strays to other states for rehoming.