View Single Post
Old 09-08-2008, 05:49 PM
Banned

ashleywong is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Article : Clumping Clay Litter : A Deadly Inconvenience

Hi june

shredded paper sounds good - as long as it is safe for our cats as well as environmentally friendly. furthermore you're also recycling. that's good.

however i'm reluctant to use the shredded paper (biasa) as i'm afraid i'd train my cat to pee2 on my newspaper as i stack newspaper all over my house.

the point to this article and this thread is to spread awareness about the potental danger of using clumping clay as litter, not only to cats but to dogs too for those who has cats and dogs because even if the dogs do not eat out of the cat litter box, the flying dust from the clumping litter is enough to be a health hazard - imagine all those cement lining your throat, lungs , etc.

when i first started with my kittens i also used clumping clay out of ignorance and for "supposed" convenience. one of my kittens almost suffered because of this. nicky almost got blocked intestines because he liked to "eat" his litter material and play it in. at first i thought it was cute, then i noticed i had breathing problem since i started using clumping litter than nicky had constipation, lack of apetite. anna also had lots of wheezes and we didn't put all these together. i stopped using it becuase of this and i adamantly use recyled paper pellet even it's more expensive than sand/clay material.

however i believe the long-term health benefits outweights the short term costs. i'm glad non of my cats paid for my ignorance!