Thread: New Adopter
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010, 09:33 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Adopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlllastar View Post
I personally do not like to see Siberian Husky existing in Malaysia. It looks as if they're suffocating under their thick masses of fur and their furs don't look as pretty as they should be. They don't suit our climate, do they? *just wondering* probably can only be kept in air-con house?
Hi, Tlllastar --

I'm not sure about the climate question. I don't know how well the nordic breeds adapt to the tropical weather.

I do know this, though, from friends who have kept a pair of huskies for years in Canada: huskies LIVE TO WORK. A chained or crated husky is a miserable dog. My concern in Malaysia is that huskies might not get enough exercise and will slowly but surely go mad.

My friends use their huskies to pull them on cross-country skis in the winter, and they hitch them to light carts when there is no snow. The dogs will run and pull for kilometers and seem to love every minute of it. Because few people can provide the dogs with adequate exercise, my friends say the comment they hear most often is, "Oh, yes, I had a husky... once."

Unless you are an active outdoor person or family, huskies are really a poor choice!