View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012, 06:25 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: mcm mne nak bawa pets bpindah?pls help me!! need advice..

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldot View Post
May I chip in on the microchip thing

Since u guyz touched on the microchip, I am curious what the microchip for? If I get my cat implanted with the microchip, does that mean he can be traced by a satellite should he get lost?

N how much is the implantation fee?
Hi, Aldot --

I don't have complete info on the microchips, but this much I do know:

A microchip is not a tracking device so will not help you locate your cat should he wander off. The chip is implanted between the cat's shoulder blades and can only be read by certain equipment which is, I believe, usually found in vet clinics. Here is where things get tricky...

As I understand it, there are currently multiple standards for microchips, both within Malaysia and abroad. This means that one vet may have a reader that does not read the type of chip implanted in your cat.

Second, once the vet reads the information from the chip, he needs to match it against a central database, and I'm not sure who is maintaining that. Petfinder keeps one database, but any database is only as good as the information that people put into it, and the Petfinder members who have entered their pet's microchip records there must hope that whoever finds their lost pet will a) think to look for an implanted microchip and b) come to Petfinder to locate the pet's owner. Needless to say, council dog-catchers are not concerned with such things, and I don't know whether shelters like PAWS or SPCA can or do check for the chips.

I believe the cost of buying & implanting a microchip is about RM25-RM50.

I would be very happy if other PF forum members would step up to correct me or add further detail!