Thread: Canine Jaundice
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2010, 06:35 PM
Animal Lover

minq is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Canine Jaundice

Dana and her brother was both found covered with red ants before being rescued by a member on petfinder and I adopted her soon after. They are a small breed and we estimated them to be about 1 month then. She recently celebrated her 1st birthday in August.

She has always been a fussy eater. Her weight is never maintained. The vet examined her a few times over the year and suspected that the eye/ear infection was the culprit (old injury due to red ant bites that resurfaces once in awhile). A couple of months ago, she lost so much weight that her ribcage was showing. She was put on antibiotics and medication to treat that infection for the second time. She was eating again and gained weight but it didnt last ong. Her weight dropped again and this time she refused to eat even canned food or her usual treats. Seeing her not eating and weak, I too lost my appetite. The vet did some blood/urine tests on her last week, and they revealed that she has jaundice. She is now on medication and antibiotics for her liver and blood count. This is my fourth day force-feeding her with a/d and she seems better; she started to eat her favourite treat (she still doesnt eat her food though) and barked at strangers jsut last night! :)

My dilemma now is that, I will be out of the country for a week beginning 30th September. I am seeking help from rescuers, fosterers or anyone who loves animals and patience, to "take care" (medication on time, force-feed, play with her and monitor her condition) of Dana when I'm away. Please contact me at minqwah@gmail.com. Thanks.