View Single Post
Old 10-24-2008, 01:07 PM
PetFinder Guru

lynielime is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fatty Liver Disease in Cats AKA Feline Hepatic Lipidosis

oh that sounds scary. i suppose this is something that owners of overweight cats should look out for as their pets age.. would i be correct in saying that long-term obesity could lead to this disease?

i don't know if you remember, but, in your tribute to tabbies thread i mentioned that fat fat was around 5.5 kg.. well, turns out i'm wrong.. that was his weight LAST YEAR.

i brought him to the vet a couple of days ago for a routine check up and i'm ashamed to say that he has ballooned to 6.8 kg. naturally i was very very shocked because when he was 5.5 kg my vet already thought he was overweight and put him on a special diet food. however, i wasn't comfortable feeding him that longterm so after he slimmed down i switched back to normal adult cat food, two small meals a day. just a 1/4 of a cup at each meal, meaning only 1/2 cup of kibble a day. i thought this was adequate control. boy was i wrong. he put on 1.3kg in a year and now he is back on his special diet food for obese cats.

unfortunately for my poor boy, he gains weight very easily so even very small meals don't prevent him from being pudgy. now he is huge. what he needs is lots and lots of exercise, but the weight gain has made him sluggish. i had no idea he had gained so much weight. i thought he was the same.