View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010, 02:00 PM
Animal Lover

Divas is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Help need to stoping my Shar Pei puppy from barking at night

Also remember not to give him attention when he barks. If you are out of the room he is in, don't go back in as he is trying to get attention. If he learns that barking = attention (even if it is being told off, bad attention is still better than none at all for some dogs) it will be much harder to stop him in the future.
If he barks when you are in the room with him, gently hold his muzzle and tell him 'no' in a calm but firm tone of voice. You need to hold firmly enough that he can't open his mouth but not so hard you are hurting him. To begin with he might try and fight but you need to keep holding until he has settled down and submitted (he will relax).

Also i totally agree, you need to get a training book or look online at some training sites to help you raise your dog as a wel balanced and obedient member of the community. Once your dog feels safe that you are his pack leader and will care for him properly he will be less likely to act out. All in all, he will be happier, you will be happier,your family will be happier and your neighbours will be happier. Just remember, training takes time. There are no quick fixes, keep working at it daily, go at your dogs pace and you will get there.
I would highly reccomend reading up some of Cesar Millan's principles, although I'm not a fan of him as a person, his training methods and pack theories are really helpful :D .