View Single Post
Old 05-31-2012, 06:35 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Deworming your cat.... necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casis View Post
Is this really necessary?? I just notice that I was supposed to bring my cat to vet 3 months ago and I forgot about it. He is healthy, neutered and got his final vaccination, last year.

I was thinking to do it by myself rather than bring to vet for each of worming session. So, how often should I do it? Any specified medicine that I need to buy?

Appreciate your view. Thanks a lot!
Hi, Casis -- you mention that your cat got his 'final' vaccination a year ago. There is a lot of debate about how often cats should be vaccinated. Many vets now think that annual vaccination is too often, that every 2-3 years is sufficient. Some boarding facilities, however, still require proof of annual vaccination. Regardless, your cat's vaccinations will not remain effective throughout his lifetime. You should probably have a chat with your vet or do some research on-line to figure out how often you need to re-vaccinate to keep your cat protected.

I'm not sure what to say about your de-worming question, including whether or not you can buy the de-wormer from pet shops. If your cat goes outdoors, I would most certainly suggest worming him every year.

Speaking for myself, I take my cats to the vet once a year just for an annual physical and check-up. Yes, they seem healthy enough, but the vet checks the ears, mouth, teeth, and other things that I can't get a good look at. It seems like a small investment in their health and my peace of mind. :-)