View Single Post
Old 08-23-2008, 01:07 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Cats need very little taking care of

I disagree that cats are loners. They may like some time alone, but they are just as affectionate as dogs and want to be around their human companions.

The moment I opened my grill gate, my cat will come running to the main door....I can hear the tinkle of the bell he wears. When I opened the main door, he will be behind the door, and will head butt me a few times. (Cats head butt to show affection as opposed to dogs licking.)

Depending on how long he's been left alone, he may be satisfied with just a pat on his head or he might want to be picked up and cuddled.

And wherever I go, if he's awake, he'll follow me. My hubby calls him my shadow. He also likes to do things together...........he'll eat when we eat, which also means, if we ate out, we'll have to hand feed him when we return as his food will be untouched.

The only difference, I think, is that cats are fearful creatures and will hide when we have visitors.

Other than that, they tend to seek their human companions for attention and protection. I remember each time when there's thunder or my home alarm system was triggered, Blackie will come running to me, meowing so loudly I could hear him over the racket of the rumbling thunder or siren. And he'll be trying to get in between my feet like as if that's the most secure place to be. There're many times when I nearly tripped over him as I can't move without him getting in the way. I usually end up having to pick him up and carry him on my shoulder.