View Single Post
Old 10-21-2008, 12:07 PM
Banned

ashleywong is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cats and Flea Control Products

I had some experience with using flea control on nursing queen and young kitten. Of course it was under advice of my vet.

The product i used are Advantage and Frontline.

For the queen, i used both advantage and frontline. Advantage is a topical application designed to kill fleas when they bite the treated cat. Frontline has additional feature - they kill fleas on contact, etc.

For the kitten, since around 8 weeks old or less, i was told to only apply Frontline and not Advantage as Advantage is meant for kitten about 3 -4 months and above. What i did was to wet a cotton ball/pad with frontline and then wipe down the kitten with it, paying special are not to get it on his face and inside his ears. since he is small, i only had to use one piece of cotton ball and it was done in minutes. for his little paw pads and in-between his toes, i spray a little of frontline onto my hand, and rub it into the difficult to reach areas. the kitten was then allowed to "air-dry" in a airy cage.

This is the two-prong approach my vet advised me to take - to really get the fleas before they get out of control

Of course i had to treat my house too and it was exactly as per stated in this article - my vet gave me similar advice - move people and cat out of the house, close all windows and doors and treat the house ), let it "stand" for the time stated on the product info, then open up all doors and windows, turn on the fan, let air . this should ensure that all fleas,eggs,larvaes that escaped from the cat is "targted".

If you read this because you're looking for information and solution to flea control problem on your pets, please understand that the articles and comments here are not meant to substitue your vet's advice. It is alway safer to get your vet's advice (and it is not costly either). If you prefer to take doctor's advice before taking "specialsied" medication, pls give the same benefit to your cats/pets too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleywong View Post
Cats and Flea Control Products

1. Never use insecticides on very young kittens, pregnant queens, debilitated, or elderly cats without consulting your veterinarian. With such cats, you may want to consider avoiding the use of some insecticides directly on your pet. Instead, you could comb the fleas off the cat with a flea comb then submerge the fleas in a small container of soapy water. This would also be a good alternative for cats who love being groomed but who violently refuse baths or the application of a spray.