View Single Post
Old 08-14-2009, 10:29 AM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation
Default Re: 7 Tips for Dealing with Destructive Chewing Dogs

jooi,
It is normal for most puppies to nip when they are babies...plus when they are about 2+ months they start cutting their adult teeth and it's rather uncomfortable, chewing helps. But we do not want to accidentally TRAIN the puppy that nipping or chewing on HUMAN body parts is an acceptable idea.

Have an assortment of safe, acceptable puppy toys available (within reach) and substitute one of the pups OWN toys for your hand. Also, if the pup ignores the toy and still goes for you....in addition to yipping, STOP THE GAME, TURN AWAY, IGNORE THE PUPPY for a few moments...NO YELLING or grabbing the muzzle IS NEEDED...ending THE GAME is what Mom dog would do and it is understood by all puppies and dogs as a non-verbal warning. If you have to, say nothing, but get up and remove yourself from reach, turn away, that body language is understood.

Your puppy bites for several reasons:

He is playing.
He is Alpha.
He is hungry.
He is exploring.
He is over-stimulated and excited.
He is scared or angry.
He has herding tendencies
He is teething
You should not stop a puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooi View Post
I need some advice here...
My puppy loves to chew, he doesn't destroy things in the house, as I bought a lot of chew-able toys for him. But when he gets excited, he will start to chew on my fingers! I tried to stop him by saying 'NO' to him but this 'chewing' still goes on, and lately it became worst, he starts to bite my arm/feet or the clothes I am wearing. What should I do to stop him from chewing/biting me?

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.