View Single Post
Old 05-26-2012, 03:43 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Snappy Tom Cat Canned Food

My 'recipe' (if you can call it that) is as follows:

About 90% meat, 5% root vegetable (carrot, yam, potato, etc.) 5% green vegetable

Stew the meat til cooked through, then cook the veggies til tender. Either chop or blend ingredients with as much of the stewing liquid as needed to get a good consistency. My cats seem to like plenty of liquid in their stew.

I add a teaspoon or so of organic kelp powder, which gives them calcium, iron and B vitamins. Some people add crushed egg shell for calcium.

I also give them chewable multivitamin tablets a couple of times a week, and they get commercial canned food for breakfast, so I know they're getting their taurine, etc.

A lot of people say it's great to include organ meat, but I've had a hard time locating beef or mutton organs. If I were cooking chicken stew, I'd throw in liver, gizzards, etc.

Oh, and for what it's worth, the holistic vet and others have told me not to fret about feeding the cats 'human food'. One friend said when her cats got fussy about home-cooked, she mixes in some tinned sardines in tomato sauce. I was stunned, but the vet says she gives the sardines as a treat, too. I was stunned to see my cats diving enthusiastically into that tomato sauce. I throw a single clove of garlic into the stew once in a while, although large quantities of onion and garlic are a no-no. When I am feeling desperate and they're being obstinate, a tiny dribble of kicap manis has enticed them to empty their bowls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meffy View Post
Same here. My girl is not a big fan of kibbles either. It's like 'standby' food for 12 hours until I come home at night for her dinner.

Stew sounds yummy. Could you share your recipe? I'm not sure what I should cook with the chicken aside from plain boiled. There are some ingredients that are not suitable for cats.

Last edited by Maneki Neko; 05-26-2012 at 03:52 PM.