View Single Post
Old 05-23-2012, 01:45 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Snappy Tom Cat Canned Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meffy View Post
I read it here http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...9020916AAR8AWV

I wonder if cat food tuna is okay since it has all the added nutrients.
I'm not claiming to be an expert on feline nutrition, but I've heard from two sources that tuna is not the optimal food for cats. First, my holistic vet recommended feeding fish-based foods on a limited basis. She didn't suggest avoiding them altogether but to serve a majority of other meats.

I also read a wonderful book a few months ago, Think Like a Cat, by Pam Johnson-Bennett. I learned all sorts of cool things about kitty psychology and behaviours, but I was also gratified to see that she echoed my vet's advice. She also discourages feeding a lot of tuna, and she adds another reason to limit or avoid it: MOST CATS LOVE IT! They get started eating tuna, and the next thing you know, they won't touch anything else. This was my experience with my cats, who had truly become tuna addicts. I nearly gave up hope that they would ever try anything else after a short time of eating Fussie Cat tuna... It was a few nights of howling and complaint before they finally decided that they would have to try home-cooked stews instead of their beloved tuna.