View Single Post
Old 05-26-2012, 01:11 PM
PetFinder Guru

Meffy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Snappy Tom Cat Canned Food

Same here. My girl is not a big fan of kibbles either. It's like 'standby' food for 12 hours until I come home at night for her dinner.

Stew sounds yummy. Could you share your recipe? I'm not sure what I should cook with the chicken aside from plain boiled. There are some ingredients that are not suitable for cats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
Hi, Meffy! From my conversations with vets and the book's author's comments, the answer is YES. Tuna is a very distinctive and strong flavour that cats find nearly irresistable. When Dr. Susanna encouraged me to make the transition to all wet food, she gave me several ideas about how to wean the cats off their Addiction biscuit. That, however, was not the problem -- they weren't kibble junkies, they were tuna junkies!

She began by saying that the 'bad' wet foods (containing the toxic gelling agent) are still better for the cats than even the best biscuit. So the first step was to stop the biscuit altogether and change to 2 feedings of wet food, even if it was still tuna. Then I tried some of the Addiction meat -- venison, brushtail possum, etc. They ate those, but grudgingly. We tried the Addiction unagi. Yes, that was ok, too. Very strangely, my 2 cats will not touch chicken, either commercially canned or home cooked. Through trial and error, I've learned that they will eat stews of beef, buffalo and/or mutton. They won't touch pork. They almost never eat as eagerly as they did when I fed tuna, though. Someone once quipped that tuna is cocaine for cats. I think he's right!