View Single Post
Old 11-24-2008, 02:09 PM
PetFinder Guru

mrsdolittle is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dog license (dbkl)

By the way, how old is your dog?

you can actually train them not to bark so much at anything that passed by. It needs a lot of training and time plus patience. Believe me, I have 3 of them who loves barking the other 5 are occasional barker.

What you need to do, FIRST YOU HAVE TO BE THE MASTER, OR IN THIS CASE, ANYONE IN YOUR FAMILY, they have to know who is the boss of them.

SECONDLY, WE MUST UNDERSTAND WHY ARE THEY BARKING, THEY COULD BE BORED ARE TRYING TO TELL YOU SOMETHING.

SINCE YOUR DOG IS A WORKING DOG, I AM SURE IT NEEDS A LOT OF RUNNING AND PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES.

WHEN THEY BARK, WE MUST NOT SHOUT AT THEM SINCE THEY MAY THINK THAT YOU ARE JOINING IN THEIR BARKING.

TRY THIS, TELL THEM FIRMLY AND HAVE A TREAT READY IN YOUR HAND AND PRAISED THEM IN A FIRM TONE AS SOON AS THEY STOP BARKING. DO NOT GIVE THE TREAT STRAIGHT AWAY, INSTEAD WAIT FOR A WHILE TO MAKE THEM UNDERSTAND THAT TREATS ARE SUPPOSE TO BE EARN AND ITS NOT THAT EASY. ONLY THEN GIVE THEM DEPENDING HOW LONG THEY CAN STAY QUIET.

ABOUT THE HOWLING, AS WE ALL KNOW ANIMALS CAN SEE THINGS WE CAN'T, SO THEY MAY SEE THE UNWANTED THINGS DURING THE AZAN. Trust me, you wouldn't want to have these eyes.

TELL YOUR NEIGHBOR THAT YOU ARE IN THE MIDST OF TRAINING YOUR DOGS AND IT IS GOOD TO HAVE THEM FOR THE NEIGHBOR'S SAFETY. BE NICE, THEY WOULD UNDERSTAND... (i'll pray for you).