View Single Post
Old 08-19-2009, 12:22 AM
PetFinder Buddy

ChewChew1987 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Please Help My Schnauzer having some skin problem..

Hi, i am not sure whether this experience will help, but will share it with you anyway.

I have two jack russells. One of them suffered from skin problem; pimpers, itchy, inflammation on skin. She will scratch and scratch whole day until there is blood (i was forced to put the Elizebeth collar on her to prevent scratching).

I brough her to see many docs before, they give tablets, antibiotic. It helps, but only for a moment and the problem arise again. The doc said the skin problem can due to many factors; gene, environment, food. Unless we can find out what causes the problem, then it can be cured. Until now, i can't figure what is the problem.

However, the doctor also mention that the dog will have this kind of reaction is also due to bacteria infection. So he suggested that i use Malaseb, but dont over use it because the shampoo will cause dryness on the skin. As for food, i changed all the chicken based product to fish based product (lamb also can) since chicken often cause allergies. I use fish based because fish is good for skin.

Then i bought a bottle of fish oil from the vet and feed it to my dog daily (on vet instruction). And i sometime feed my dog some steamed fish (be careful with the bones, take all out or dog will chocked). Anyway, i'm feeding my dog alot of fish.

It has been almost two months, and her skin condition has improved very much so far. No more pimpers, or inflammation.

By the way, Frontline is good but the ticks will get immune with this Frontline easily too if you use it all the time. My dog use to have ticks too and i bought Frontline. In the beginning it was good, but after a while the ticks came back. I asked my fren who owned a petshop, he told me ticks develop immunity for Frontline, so it is not recommended to use always. So i bought this pink little box...i forgot about the brand..but it cost around RM 19. Although it smell, but the ticks stay away from my dog (i don't dare to go near my dog too after she was bathed with it).