Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens

Cats & Kittens General information and discussions on taking care of your feline buddy

Old 05-29-2012, 01:44 PM
PetFinder Buddy

Kynthia is on a distinguished road
Angry My 2 month old kitten has ringworm

Help! The two month old kitten has ringworm. I discovered three spots so far and am applying Himalaya Canisep cream -- it is improving. However, I think more areas are infected -- it's difficult to tell cos she has long fur. What should I do? Shave her?
Old 05-29-2012, 02:08 PM
Tiger's mom

aida12781 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My 2 month old kitten has ringworm

i'm not an expert in this, but if anything wrong with my cat, i'll take him to vet. I think you should do the same too.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:20 PM
PetFinder Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aida12781 View Post
i'm not an expert in this, but if anything wrong with my cat, i'll take him to vet. I think you should do the same too.
I did. But the vet was reluctant to prescribe meds as the kitten may lick off the meds -- which can be harmful. She advised me to clean her with salt water daily. I did that and the when i was at the pet shop the other day, the owner told me that Canisep cream is safe. The thing is, it's hard to spot other areas -- if the are also infected. Should I shave her?
Old 05-29-2012, 03:24 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Hi, Kynthia -- you might want to ask your vet about bathing the kitten with Malaseb shampoo. One of my rescued kittens was also covered with ringworm at a very young age, and the cream just couldn't keep up with it. My vet recommended the shampoo, and 3 baths with the Malaseb did the job. It's not inexpensive -- if I recall, a bottle cost nearly RM50, but it did cure the ringworm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kynthia View Post
I did. But the vet was reluctant to prescribe meds as the kitten may lick off the meds -- which can be harmful. She advised me to clean her with salt water daily. I did that and the when i was at the pet shop the other day, the owner told me that Canisep cream is safe. The thing is, it's hard to spot other areas -- if the are also infected. Should I shave her?
Old 05-29-2012, 03:43 PM
PetFinder Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
Hi, Kynthia -- you might want to ask your vet about bathing the kitten with Malaseb shampoo. One of my rescued kittens was also covered with ringworm at a very young age, and the cream just couldn't keep up with it. My vet recommended the shampoo, and 3 baths with the Malaseb did the job. It's not inexpensive -- if I recall, a bottle cost nearly RM50, but it did cure the ringworm.
Thanks for the tips Maneki Neko. Question: I can get the shampoo from any petshop, no?
Old 05-29-2012, 09:13 PM
Animal Lover

JonTempleton is on a distinguished road

Cats can be so fragile with health concerns. Take to vet for sure.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:04 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Hi, Kynthia -- I don't know if you can find Malaseb in shops or not, as I got it directly from my vet. Do read and follow the instructions carefully. As I remember, you have to leave the shampoo foam on the kitten for 10-15 minutes before rinsing. And yes, JonTempleton is right when he says that small kittens are very fragile. It wouldn't hurt to at least phone your vet to ask about using the Malaseb shampoo. Good luck to you and the little kitty! :-)
Old 05-30-2012, 10:07 AM
Animal Lover

Isyarina Ishak is on a distinguished road

Hi, Kynthia from my experience Malaseb is quit strong shampoo and if you using to much can cause skin dryness,you can give a try Sulphur base shampoo (Petdiatrics Brand), Tea Tree Oil (Petdiatric Brand), Veterinary Formula Brand Antifungal & Antiseptic Oatmeal Based. While shampoo the kitten using warm water, and leave it about 5 minutes before rinse it back.
I hope you kitten getting better :)
https://www.facebook.com/catshometown
Old 05-30-2012, 12:04 PM
PetFinder Buddy

Thanks all for your feedback. I called my vet yesterday and her recommendation is still bathe the kitten with the mildest baby shampoo and then rinse with salt water (150g sea salt diluted in 500ml water) every other day. Will be bringing my kitten to her this weekend for follow-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isyarina Ishak View Post
Hi, Kynthia from my experience Malaseb is quit strong shampoo and if you using to much can cause skin dryness,you can give a try Sulphur base shampoo (Petdiatrics Brand), Tea Tree Oil (Petdiatric Brand), Veterinary Formula Brand Antifungal & Antiseptic Oatmeal Based. While shampoo the kitten using warm water, and leave it about 5 minutes before rinse it back.
I hope you kitten getting better :)
https://www.facebook.com/catshometown
Isyarina, I see that you sell Orijen at RM80 for 2.5kg? I feed my kitten Orijen. Do you do COD in Damansara area?
Old 05-30-2012, 07:49 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Smile Re: My 2 month old kitten has ringworm

Quote:
Thanks all for your feedback. I called my vet yesterday and her recommendation is still bathe the kitten with the mildest baby shampoo and then rinse with salt water (150g sea salt diluted in 500ml water) every other day. Will be bringing my kitten to her this weekend for follow-up.
Hi Kynthia -- your vet's prescription sounds much milder than the Malaseb. Would you please let us know if it works to get rid of the ringworm? Especially for such a small kitten, it would be good to have a gentler alternative. :-) Thanks!
Old 05-30-2012, 09:31 PM
PetFinder Buddy

It may be working... This is my second time bathing my kitten, Lola. The parts with ringworm seem to be peeling off. Fingers crossed -- I hope that it will really work! Anyone knows how long would it take for the fur on the bald patches grow?
Old 05-31-2012, 06:49 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Quote:
It may be working... This is my second time bathing my kitten, Lola. The parts with ringworm seem to be peeling off. Fingers crossed -- I hope that it will really work! Anyone knows how long would it take for the fur on the bald patches grow?
The fur should start to come back in 2-3 weeks, and it may initially grow back in a lighter colour. My rescued kitten's fur grew back white, which gave him a speckled look, as his normal fur was black. (His adopter's small daughter named him 'Snow' :-) Now, though, he's a glossy, solid black cat, so the snowy patches seem to have melted away in the past year. Keeping fingers crossed for your kitten, too.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:29 AM
Animal Lover

Isyarina Ishak is on a distinguished road

sory for late reply Kynthia yes I COD to Damansara but temporary I out of stock..Will let u know once stock received ya..:)
Old 06-01-2012, 12:34 AM
PetFinder Buddy

Thanks Isyarina
Old 06-01-2012, 12:44 AM
PetFinder Buddy

Just when I thought that Lola's ringworm infection was healing... I discovered more bald spots! I am so taking her to the vet tomorrow to get her fur shaved :(
Old 06-01-2012, 07:14 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Quote:
Just when I thought that Lola's ringworm infection was healing... I discovered more bald spots! I am so taking her to the vet tomorrow to get her fur shaved :(
I'm curious, Kynthia -- is shaving something that the vet suggested? I've never heard of anyone shaving an animal with ringworm before, and I wonder what the vet's reasoning might be. I've also never heard of any vet suggesting that salt water might kill fungus (which ringworm is). Have you considered taking Lola to a different vet for a second opinion?
Old 06-01-2012, 09:00 AM
PetFinder Guru

Marcelleve is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Marcelleve Send a message via Yahoo to Marcelleve Send a message via Skype™ to Marcelleve
Smile Re: My 2 month old kitten has ringworm

Not common table salts but Epsom salts for Wounds not for ringworm...Common salt does traumatize/irritate the skin and make the ringworm worse.
I used ACV and apply it gently to scaly skin or the last rinse during bath time (depends on the degree of the fungi and if it is really worst, Please seek VET immediately)

Malaseb shampoo is a good treatment (my kitties are always in cool area so to avoid ringworm, my kitties used Malaseb shampoo once a month and a good sunlight everyday as one of the routine skin care)
Old 06-01-2012, 09:23 AM
PetFinder Buddy

Yup... I would take her to another vet for second opinion. It pains me to see the state she is in now.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:05 PM
PetFinder Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
I'm curious, Kynthia -- is shaving something that the vet suggested? I've never heard of anyone shaving an animal with ringworm before, and I wonder what the vet's reasoning might be. I've also never heard of any vet suggesting that salt water might kill fungus (which ringworm is). Have you considered taking Lola to a different vet for a second opinion?
I have good news and bad news. Took Lola to another vet today for second opinion. He is a genuinely kind doctor who really took his time to investigate a problem. Took cell samples from Lola's bald spots and he could not find fungal spores on most of them. So, Lola probably had lotsa fungal infection initially and they were healing because the bald spots looked like dead skin cells shedding. He confirmed that sea salt is very good for killing fungus and parasites. Bad news is... on two bald spots, he discovered some spores... he showed me the samples and explained that these are not very common fungus! ...and we also spotted mange -- although not much.

So he recommended that we shaved off Lola's fur -- as the spores were sticking to the fur -- and then treat with medicated shampoo. Will send Lola back to the clinic for all that tomorrow and I hope she gets better after this. Poor Lola. When I first got her, my vet discovered that she had fluid in her lungs, gastrointestinal problems and could not eat. Now she is gonna lose all her fur... All these within the span of THREE weeks! She must be suffering a lot

Last edited by Kynthia; 06-01-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:17 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Quote:
I have good news and bad news. Took Lola to another vet today for second opinion. He is a genuinely kind doctor who really took his time to investigate a problem. Took cell samples from Lola's bald spots and he could not find fungal spores on most of them. So, Lola probably had lotsa fungal infection initially and they were healing because the bald spots looked like dead skin cells shedding. He confirmed that sea salt is very good for killing fungus and parasites. Bad news is... on two bald spots, he discovered some spores... he showed me the samples and explained that these are not very common fungus! ...and we also spotted mange -- although not much.

So he recommended that we shaved off Lola's fur -- as the spores were sticking to the fur -- and then treat with medicated shampoo. Will send Lola back to the clinic for all that tomorrow and I hope she gets better after this. Poor Lola. When I first got her, my vet discovered that she had fluid in her lungs, gastrointestinal problems and could not eat. Now she is gonna lose all her fur... All these within the span of THREE weeks! She must be suffering a lot
Ohhh, poor Lola! This has been a rough month or so for her! I'm glad you got the 2nd opinion, though. Even though your first vet might have been on the right track, it probably feels better to have the confirmation from the 2nd vet with his microscope. Bless you for all you're doing to save this kitten, Kynthia. If she makes it through all these assorted health problems in her first few months, you'll know she's got a really strong immune system. :-)

Wishing you & Lola all the best...